Moving to Canada w/o needing to work in Canada?

Soon, I may have to work in a place that is far away from where I live, in a place I don't want to move to. However, I will have to move somewhere. So I'm thinking of moving to Canada for a period of time, probably somewhere around a year. The interweb is not really giving me the information that fits my scenario, maybe someone knows more around here...

A. I'd like to move to Montreal, Quebec. Quebec has special rules, so I mention this. I am fluent in French, so language requirements are a moot point.

B. I will NOT be working in Canada. I will be working in the United States.

C. I am NOT looking for citizenship, naturalization, work permits, etc. etc.

Basically, I just want to move to Montreal, get an apartment, and hang out. I will go to work for a while back in the States, do my thing, and then come back to Montreal. What do I need to do just to rent a pad for a period of time without pissing off any local authorities/border control and so forth?... I want to stay legit.

All the beta I find online assumes I want to work in Canada, or will be bringing my work skills to Canada, and become a citizen or what-have-you which is not what I'm trying to do.

Anyone? Thanks.

You probably need a visitor record. I think i recall this from "conversation" i once had with a "friendly" immigration officer. Contact the Canadian Consulate before leaving the US. There are some super quirky laws about working in Canada as I discovered first hand.

Since you're not working in CA you are basically a tourist. Talk to the embassy or consulate about the rules, but I bet that as long as you leave for a little bit every couple of months you shouldn't have any problems.

You should be able to find tons of info on this - just look up the rules for retirees. Lots of folks want to retire in a different country. Usually it's folks from montreal retiring in florida - but I'm sure a few go the other way too...

I've spent a couple of winters in BC, and a lot of my friends do as well. The visitor visa is for 6 months. They may want to see a recent bank statement or ATM recp't at the border so they know you have $ and won't need to work and take a job away from a Canadian. Every 6 months, I think you will need to go back to the states for a little while and then come back in. Personally, I wouldn't even say that you are going to work up there, even if it is working remote for an American company.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't even say that you are going to work up there, even if it is working remote for an American company.
    ^^^ That advice is gold. I doubt it will matter that your employer isn't even in the country. To the immigration system I imagine you would be "working in Canada", which you can't do without the right Visa.

Maybe calling yourself "self-employed" and immigrating under a proprietor/business owner type visa might work, but you'd want an opinion by a Canadian immigration lawyer before pursuing that path.

A few years ago I was working for a firm in the U.S. even though I live in Canada. It was all legal as long as I didn't move south of the border and keep working for them.