Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    My 138's showed up last weekend and now I'm getting indecisive about what to mount on them (helps that no new snow is in the forcast). In the garage are:
    -NX21's
    -Rossignol FKS 185

I was going to put the FKS 185's on and use Alpine Trekkers until all the latest news about The Dukes. They address all of the issues I have with both AT and Alpine/Trekker setup and look to be the ideal mix of touring/beef for the type of skiing I'll do on the 138's.
    How bad will it be to drill the for the FKS's this year then mount the Dukes next year? I would guess with the wood core this won't be as big of a deal....correct?

Quote Originally Posted by grooveninja View Post
    My 138's showed up last weekend and now I'm getting indecisive about what to mount on them (helps that no new snow is in the forcast). In the garage are:
    -NX21's
    -Rossignol FKS 185

I was going to put the FKS 185's on and use Alpine Trekkers until all the latest news about The Dukes. They address all of the issues I have with both AT and Alpine/Trekker setup and look to be the ideal mix of touring/beef for the type of skiing I'll do on the 138's.
    How bad will it be to drill the for the FKS's this year then mount the Dukes next year? I would guess with the wood core this won't be as big of a deal....correct?
    Remounting shouldn't be a big deal so long as the holes are a reasonable distance apart, but I'll defer to Marshal for the difinitive answer on that.

As for which bindings to use, I'd base that on how much you'll actually be touring with the 138s and what kind of terrain you'll be on.

Honestly, after getting a fair amount of days on mine with 916s and trekkers, there are very few instances where I wasn't happy with that setup. The skis are light, so even with 916s and trekkers the weight isn't that bad, but I don't generally do super long tours either. I also like to jump off shit, so having the 916s on the way down is more ideal for me. The only area where the 138s don't do well when skinning is when you are sidehilling, and if the snow is hard/setup it's even tougher. In these instances, the lack of rigidity of trekkers makes for even more difficulty and a set of NX21s, or possibly the Dukes (coolness or suckiness yet to be determined) might be welcome.

It all comes down to the terrain and your type of skiing. If you do long tours and/or alot of sidehill approaches, go with a more laterally rigid AT binder. If you don't mind the weight, like to ski fast and jump off stuff, and approaches generally don't include sidehilling, go with the FKS and trekkers.

On the other hand, maybe the Duke will be a suitable hybrid of the advantages of both options listed above and we'll be stoked...
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

^^Sound reasoning.

I've considered the same thing, in terms of drilling again for Dukes after skiing the season out with 914s. I generally came to the same conclusion, for the same reasons, but I'm glad to hear someone who has actually skied the 138s agrees.
    bodies be all up on my behind

Sounds like good reasoning to me. I'm assuming that sidehilling is a pain because of the Trekker slop being amplified by the 138 underfoot? If so, i would guess that will only put slop into the Naxo's a lot faster than with a 100mm ski as well.

I guess what blew me away was just how light these guys are. You read the weight, but until you see the ski and feel it, words and numbers just don't do it justice. So that got me thinking longer touring days might actually be possible.

Thought people might be interested to see a shape/camber comparison with last years model. Also worth noting that the production skis seem to have significantly less rocker than the skis i reviewed - look forward to seeing how this effects the ride.

TWO pair of lotus 138s? crazy i say.

Sooooo, what are you going to do with last years model.....

Not mine. They are my housemate's and i gather he's pretty attached to them.

I have a pair of 1st generation coming (yeah, can't wait...), and am thinking about bindings and skins. Does it worth to mount freerides on them? how do they work with skins, considering the inverse camber?

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    I have a pair of 1st generation coming (yeah, can't wait...), and am thinking about bindings and skins. Does it worth to mount freerides on them? how do they work with skins, considering the inverse camber?
    I skin with my 138s quite often. 130mm sts skins work very well. Sidehilling is a bit of a chore, but the flat spot underfoot is plenty to make it up most skin tracks.

good to know, thanks! and what bindings did you drill?

I use 916s with trekkers.

depending on whenever my 138's get here...
    and depending if it ever snows again in Tahoe...
    and depending on the initial feedback on the Marker Dukes and depending on when they're released to the public...
    I'm thinking a Lotus 138/Duke combo would be pretty sick.

depends though.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    depending on whenever my 138's get here...
    and depending if it ever snows again in Tahoe...
    and depending on the initial feedback on the Marker Dukes and depending on when they're released to the public...
    I'm thinking a Lotus 138/Duke combo would be pretty sick.

depends though.
    I concur, but a definitive review as to the radness/suckiness of the Duke is imperative first.

anyone have a view on the use of 914s on the lotus 120? u think the toes will loosen quickly due to the width of the skis?

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    anyone have a view on the use of 914s on the lotus 120? u think the toes will loosen quickly due to the width of the skis?
    Good question? I took delivery of a pair of last years 138's and am considering 914's over 916's as a weight saver for alpine trekking days. Keen to hear what others think of this.

And, might I say, how seriously impressed I was with the style/finish of these skis!!! The photos don't do them justice. I've got them lying beside some ARG's and the ARG's look like a bugdet truck parked next to a Ferrari.

Where is that 'oh my god - stupidly impressed icon'...there it is.

couple of those!

I used trekkers once. once.

nothing to really add except that I'm excited to hear some reviews of the Dukes. at least marker gave them a cool name.

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    Quote Originally Posted by brettf View Post
    I used trekkers once. once.
    Do you mean you replaced them with touring bindings?

so none have seen or heard about lotus 138 with freerides?

UAN will be on that ^^^^ tip

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    UAN will be on that ^^^^ tip
    He told me he cancelled his 138 order. Just 120s and Comforts now.
    bodies be all up on my behind

ah ha. i thought he might. i was hoping he'd cancel his 120's and keep the 138's.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    ah ha. i thought he might. i was hoping he'd cancel his 120's and keep the 138's.
    yea we talked about that a lot.

i was really looking forward to his EHP\120 and Spat\138 comparisons.

hopefully Ullr will oblige and he gets some good days on the 120s this season

S T O K E D my 138 just landed in verb. now the shop people say they cannot find a pair of brakes large enough...... ouch...

got mine today - wow, they are BEAUTIFUL. probably the only Lotus 138's in the state of Missouri
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

got mine in europe two weeks ago, but as there is hardly any snow, i just tried them yesterday the first time - like all said, there are really light, i was skinning a little bit and i am quite shure that they are much more lighter than my sanouks.
    startet my first turns in a 40 deg noth face colouir, wasnt quite shure if its the best idea to start riding with these boards in a tiny colouir, bit worked wonderfull, bring up your knees a little bit, the ski is promtly reacting - easy to turn - wonderfull boards. even on hard pack they are really managable, i really thought it would be worse. in the afternoon slush - everywhere - and wonderfull to ride - perfet ski, thanks stephan