Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    There have been roughly 14 inches of new snow here in Jackson in the past 2days- just enough to bring to base depth up to par for 3 of my friends to think about launching fat bastard in the Jackson backcountry.

Avi danger today was listed as considerable. Because of avi conditions, I stayed in bounds with 2 others. .
    We need to follow our instincts, no matter where they may lead us.

G E N E R A L - A V A L A N C H E - A D V I S O R Y
    Sensitive soft surface slabs 6 to 18 inches deep formed by southwest to northwest winds lie upon slick crusts and buried surface hoar. These slabs were easily triggered by skiers yesterday, some on approach, and a large natural avalanche was observed on Mt. Hunt. Seven skiers were reported to have been caught in avalanches in the Southern Tetons yesterday. One was buried to his waist in a small slide on Mt. Taylor. Four were caught with one completely buried and recovered alive by companions south of the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. Another three were caught on a northerly aspect in Granite Canyon. Similar events are likely today.

We need to do our research.

Remember that even after the upmost preperation there is no 100% chance of safety.

We need to ask ourselves if each and every turn is worth it. Then, follow our instincts.

Let's all be safe out there and keep these lost rippers in our memories.
    Godspeed.

RIP

Like others, he went doing what he loved. Those left behind, stay strong.

And lets all keep our wits about us out there.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Vibes and prayers. I don't know what else to say.

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Prayers and positive vibes out to you, his friends and his family. I heard about this from my roommates when I got back from the vil today and have been waiting for more specifics. I'm truly sorry for your loss and I wish you the best with getting through this. Everyone be safe out there.
    It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward - Rocky

my condolences dude, I can't imagine the hurt you're feeling. In the end you'll mostly remember the good times with your pal.
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Justin will be in my thoughts...++vibes++

kevo - thanks for posting this info up on behalf of those who were involved. it's a terrible situation, and i just got off the phone with one of the people in the group who was really shook up. it's really difficult to talk about.

it's hard when our close friends are always within inches of these kinds of freak accidents. it isn't enough to say "be careful out there."

all i can do is be thankful for those who had the good luck and fortune to not get hurt, and send as many positive vibes possible in the direction of justin's family and friends.

thanks again kevo for clarifying this information...it is appreciated.

Thanks for coming here and sharing the story with us, that is incredibly cool that you chose to take the time to type that out for us right now.

At least he didn't die in a car crash, he died doing something I'm sure he really loved, which is more than most people will ever have. RIP.

RIP

Sorry for yours and others loss.

i know how it is to loose someone so fast

RIP

may the pow run deep upstairs

That sucks man.

++++++

I can't imagine what you're feeling.

Very sad, my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

your bro died doing what we all love and take solace in that. many positive vibes to you and his fam.

Very sorry to hear that. Wishing for peace for everyone close to Justin.

Another set of positive vibes to family and friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Skiied 'The Ribbon" off Oliver today. Very reactive. Cracking on every turn and set off a few pockets of wind slab. BE CAREFUL!!! Family and friends are in our thoughts.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Words fail at this point, but hopefully positive thoughts will help all.
    +++++++++++++++++vibes++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++vibes+++++++
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

For a quick update-

Thanks everyone for the vibes and prayers.

Justin was very close to Josh, one of the other skiers involved in the slide. Josh has been organizing a memorial for this coming tuesday. Everyone from Jackson- Keep your eyes posted in the paper. There are plans for several memorials, one on site.

The newspaper messed up Justins last name. It's Kautz, not Kuntz or whatever they said. Hopefully it will be cleared up within a day or so.

What a shame, vibes to Justin's family and friends.

+++
    I ski therefore I am.

RIP

R - I - P
    * * * * * * * PRAY FOR SNOW * * * * * * * *

that made me tear up .

RIP Justin carve that big snowfield in the sky.

Kevo, Josh
    All my condolences.
    Please contact me today to get service info in the Daily on Monday- angus@jhnewsandguide.com 307 690 5586
    Angus Thuermer

Vibes +++++++

It's always hard to hear a story of somone dying when they tried eveything they could to stay safe. I wish the best for his family and friends.

Wow.
    Just read the article.
    Seems like a real cool guy with a big heart.

Condolences and ++++++ vibes to his friends and family.

Is there a paypal for the fundraiser to donate in his memory?

He's from Hartland, VT.
    I know that place and a girl that grew up there. Awesome sleepy VT town.

Article in the Jackson Daily here:
    http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/articl...1e37f5bbd5124b

By Tim Dudley
    January 8, 2007

A skier killed by an avalanche Friday died of massive internal injuries, Teton County Coroner Bob Campbell said Sunday.

A memorial service for Justin Kautz, 25, originally of Hartland, Vt., will be at 9 a.m. on Tuesday at Shepherd of the Mountains Lutheran Church. A benefit reception at Stiegler’s Austrian Restaurant and Bar will be from 5:30 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, with proceeds benefiting a charity Kautz believed in, Invisible Children. Both events are open to the public.

Kautz, a woodworker, writer and recent employee of Snake River Lodge and Spa, died in the backcountry south of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort after an avalanche caught him above a cliff known as Fat Bastard in Rock Springs Bowl. Two other skiers were caught but suffered only minor injuries.

Kautz had moved to Jackson Hole a little more than two years ago, said friend and skiing buddy Jenna Cropley.

“He was a super-passionate guy,” Cropley said, “definitely a diverse, dynamic person.”

Kautz worked at Stiegler’s for about two years and then focused on his woodworking and his passion of writing, Cropley said. He recently published his first piece in a telemark skiing magazine. He started working a front desk job at the Snake River Lodge and Spa about a month ago.

Cropley, who met Kautz on a chairlift just after he moved to town, described him as a devout Christian with strong views and a philanthropist who donated money, whether he had it or not, to people whose need was greater.

In Hartland, a rural town in east central Vermont near the Connecticut River and the New Hampshire border, Kautz’s father, Will, told the Valley News of White River Junction, Vt., he was “the best son any dad could ever have.”

“Justin was a man of purpose and integrity,” Will Kautz told the Valley News. “He had deep faith in the redemptive power of God, which enabled him to stand up for what was right, regardless of the consequences. If we don’t say this about Justin, we don’t capture his character. He was the best son any dad could ever have.”

The Valley News reported Justin was the oldest of four children.

And he loved to ski, Cropley said.

“His skiing, he just loved to go fast and scream and yell and just have fun. He had more positive energy than anyone. Everybody’s sad as can be.”

Kautz and his skiing partners were experienced backcountry skiers and had been talking about skiing Fat Bastard for a long time, Cropley said, and they went out Friday to at least check it out.

The slide occurred on a day when avalanche forecasters labeled the danger as moderate while cautioning that dangers persisted in some locations and that avalanches had caught seven skiers the day before. A rating of moderate means areas of unstable snow exist and that human-triggered avalanches are possible.

Mountain resort spokeswoman Anna Olson said in a release that the slide swept all three skiers over the cliff, that the resort called the county’s search-and-rescue crew, and that resort ski patrollers rushed to the scene. Rescuers reached the victim in short order and immediately began treatment.

He was breathing at first but stopped soon after rescuers reached him. Resuscitation efforts ultimately failed.

Kautz is believed to be the seventh person to die in an avalanche this season in North America, the fifth in the Yellowstone ecosystem. Four other deaths in the region all were snowmobilers.
    Last edited by Core Shot; 01-08-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    . . .