Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    What binders are you all putting on these? I'm a look/rossi guy but bending those brakes suck...and I'm pretty sure there isn't a brake for a 130+. Whadda all reccomend.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    What binders are you all putting on these? I'm a look/rossi guy but bending those brakes suck...and I'm pretty sure there isn't a brake for a 130+. Whadda all reccomend.
    I put 916's on mine. I bent the brakes so they fit nicely.
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    is it just me, or is 135 too wide. Seems to me that at that and other even bigger widths, you have too much float, getting faceshots and other shit becomes impossible without 30" dumps. I've only own and ski spatulas, and sometimes I feel that even that is too wide. Mabye i'm alone in the feeling of enjoying sinking waist deep into snow, not floating six inches deep on top of a bunch fresh.

oh, summer project,

115-120-110, 195-205 cms long.

its all in the way you ski em......I notice that most people when skiing deep pow tend to want to ride their tails cause they are used to being on skinny skis and just naturally ride in the back seat...

what I have found with my spats is that you can dive the tips.....meaning point those bitches down and allow the ski to get to the bottom of the new snow....the camber will naturally make them resurface....resulting in a double shovel worth of faceshot...

I even ski this way on my k-wood midfats.....im not saying im an expert or anything, but I feel like lots of people need to stop skiing back seat when its over 6 inches deep.....

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd View Post
    its all in the way you ski em......I notice that most people when skiing deep pow tend to want to ride their tails cause they are used to being on skinny skis and just naturally ride in the back seat...

Agreed, that's the first thing I noticed when skiing the Praxis's - I could stay centered, no more surfy longborad skiing, and charge the fall line (again, I ain't an expert...)
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonskis420 View Post
    Kidwoo, that was me you saw at alpine yesterday and I am glad you are impressed, hit me up if you want some. Also for everyone else, Summit skis from last year are Praxis skis this year, we were just testing them out. If anyone needs a mount come to Alipne Meadows Repair shop and we have plenty of experience with them. As well in response to the hype, I have been skiing them and truely do not care to ski on anything else with regular camber. Yesterday I skied my Seth's, (I have had three pairs from the last three years) and I didn't have fun at all, oddly enough because they responded how they were made to. Tips and tails catching sucks. After you get used to it reverse camber is not the only way but my favorite way of skiing and isn't that what it is all about having fun?
    Now it all makes sense. I was wondering where Summit went and where Praxis came from suddenly. I rode Summit Six with you a few times last year when you were testing pairs with rivetted tips/tails at Alpine. I remember you saying that you now prefer reverse sidecut/camber all the time over traditional stuff. That is very interesting, it makes me wanna add another space to the quiver...

We'll see if these Kingswood Megafats are all they're cracked up to be once we get dumped on this weekend, assuming it gets cold enough, and then I'll know if I need something goofier for pow.

Ya, I have been riding the one trail down Alpine over and over again the last few days and with some practice the uncontrolable stability of reverse camber on trails can be rather exilerating opposed to just making laps. Trying to control the out of control- Hopefully this weekend will bring more skiing and let us really use them

I rode the Praxis all day cat skiing. They killed in the fresh powder but in the cut in the cut up powder I thought that I could of railed my Mantra's way harder and faster. This is my first pair of first pair of reverese side cut reverse camber skis. I want to give them more days before I decide if I just need to learn the smear more.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_faster View Post
    I rode the Praxis all day cat skiing.
    I've never been cat skiing, but why were you skiing chopped up powder? Isn't the point of cat skiing getting a fresh line everytime?

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    I've never been cat skiing, but why were you skiing chopped up powder? Isn't the point of cat skiing getting a fresh line everytime?

Try going cat skiing almost two weeks after a storm and the moutain starts at a triangle.

Try laying on the tails and floating your tips up almost so that your feet are slightly in the air causing a very smooth ride in skied out chop

jeffreyjim... does your "location" imply that you will be going on the Boulder Freeride jackson hole trip?

No. Graduating in May.

(edit, I am...going on that trip though)
    Last edited by JeffreyJim; 12-10-2006 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_faster View Post
    I rode the Praxis all day cat skiing. They killed in the fresh powder but in the cut in the cut up powder I thought that I could of railed my Mantra's way harder and faster. This is my first pair of first pair of reverese side cut reverse camber skis. I want to give them more days before I decide if I just need to learn the smear more.
    give em a lil time....no regular ski is as stable as reverse camber skis (spat or praxis) in the pow or crud....at least for me! just lean back a lil and point em straight....near downhill speed's is when they really shine!!! Tree's too....I love skiing trees on reverse camber....u can be super quick on em!!!!
    Last edited by johnnyskied; 12-10-2006 at 10:40 PM.

shit is coming together for the summer project, found a planer I can use for cores in my next door neightbor's garage, mc_roon and I are planning on making a big list for the summer over christmas, the one thing we are still wondering about is creating or finding a press for reasonably cheap, any suggestions?
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

shit is coming together for the summer project, found a planer I can use for cores in my next door neightbor's garage, mc_roon and I are planning on making a big list for the summer over christmas, the one thing we are still wondering about is creating or finding a press for reasonably cheap, any suggestions?
    What is reasonably cheap? I am just finishing up my press frame. I will be completing my molds when I get back from winter break, then hopefully pressing shortly after that.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM and I can try and help.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

This is a summer project, but I'm looking at starting to get some of the stuff I need, still trying to figure out the press issue.
    http://www.skibuilders.com/

dunno if youd seen this site or not, but it has directions to build your own press with basic supplies. Cool site too. keep me updated on your project also
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

well shit we'll have to ride... i'm going to

Additional Comments:

I bootpacked to Hanging Meadow at Berthoud on Sunday with about an inch on the ground. I didn't think it was the right conditions to ski them, but I wanted to see how they would do with a little bit on snow.

These things fucking slayed this 37-40 degree chute which was basically already skied out. Easy to turn down and so stable over the skied out ruts. Just keep pressure on both skis and let er rip.

Above the chute was some softer snow and I learned that you can edge these things like "normal" skis.

i have put maybe 7 days on the praxis skis and they fuckin kill it. although the most fresh snow they have seen was mayber 23" before new years in munchkins (m2&m3) they fuckin rip with surprisingly lots of edge control in icy situations. I never want to get off em, they spoil you for sure if you know how to use em. the skis I have heard from gapers can be a nightmare if you can't ski pow.

I finally got a killer day on the praxis's, and damn, talk about fun. 16" of fresh on top of a foot of powder from a few days earlier. Geez, talk about tips that float! - There were a couple of times I was going warp speed and hit an unexpected bump and went flying, and as I watched the tips come down in the powder I was thinking 'Uh-oh, I'm going over the handlebars' , but the tips floated right up and away I went. I'm not totally sure about the tele turn thing with these skis at high speeds though - it seems more like I'm just standing on them and smearing the skis around vs. a p-turn or tele turn or whatever.
    It was a total blast to go mach looney and see how long you could hold on until I exploded into a mound of powder.

Got a pair of Praxis coming and I was wondering where people have been mounting them for tele? Will be putting Hammerheads on them.

Quote Originally Posted by astropaulo View Post
    Got a pair of Praxis coming and I was wondering where people have been mounting them for tele? Will be putting Hammerheads on them.
    Boot center -2.5cm behind the alpine line.

Update: Well, these jinxed it for sure. I suppose I should sell them as there is no need for them if all I'm skiing is chalky hardpack.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Update: Well, these jinxed it for sure. I suppose I should sell them as there is no need for them if all I'm skiing is chalky hardpack.
    ^^JeffreyJim, you've already posted a few times that your jinxed, but you just are not skiing at the right places and the right times. Get after it! Why aren't you are Beaver Creek right now using them?^^

Are you backcountry savy? Get out in the BC and use these things.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Will do. Leaving work right now...