Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    is it just me, or is 135 too wide. Seems to me that at that and other even bigger widths, you have too much float, getting faceshots and other shit becomes impossible without 30" dumps. I've only own and ski spatulas, and sometimes I feel that even that is too wide. Mabye i'm alone in the feeling of enjoying sinking waist deep into snow, not floating six inches deep on top of a bunch fresh.

oh, summer project,

115-120-110, 195-205 cms long.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

I've been getting plenty of faceshots on my Pontoons...at 140 or whatever in the waist.

Maybe it's 'cuz I weigh 250, but still...

Jumper I seccond that - I've been getting a some mighty fine faceshots riding the 189 'toons this past week...and I weigh 185ish. My buddy liked them so much he paid retail after last Wed at Cry-Stal. Said that the 'toons have "changed his life."

hell yeah man. I could not believe how maneuverable they are, esp around trees. They even ski the groomer runout to the chair just fine...

still have not endured the test of time though. Only have 2 days on them.

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    is it just me, or is 135 too wide. Seems to me that at that and other even bigger widths, you have too much float, getting faceshots and other shit becomes impossible without 30" dumps. I've only own and ski spatulas, and sometimes I feel that even that is too wide. Mabye i'm alone in the feeling of enjoying sinking waist deep into snow, not floating six inches deep on top of a bunch fresh.

oh, summer project,

I haven't really had problems getting down into the snow even on 12" days. You just have to throw down a hard turn and dive you skis into the turn. A lot of faceshots come from the snow coming over the side of the ski not the front. It's just a different kind of faceshot. Once it gets to be over 15" or so, normal faceshots are not a problem. They do tend to float a lot in denser powder though.

I have now seen both the parxis and the armada args in person I like the praxis better. It has vertical sidwall.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

oh, summer project,

I found that with my spats, great for deep, but a one trick pony..

I have capitals versitiles too and I want the EPH for the in between days. (or what you are making in soft)

Saw a prototype "test" shape version of these (tiny bit of sidecut) today at alpine meadows that a guy that worked there owned. Fucking burly. Like quarter inch thick base burly. The owner had a base shot in them that would have exposed core on just about any ski I can think of. Nothin but base. Wide edges too.
    I wish I'd known about these before I bought my spats.

Kinda whish he was making this sidecut version though.

soul skier: once you break that 144lb mark, maybe the size will make sense. Where have you had a chance to ski your spats yet?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

just got food poisoning, so working on breaking the 140lb version, but i'll still out row you

and mntlion, if I do go ahead and try to build these, I'm looking at a 240ish flex on the iggy scale, just think of a spatula stretched out longer, but losing some girth. This is a summer project, but I'm looking at starting to get some of the stuff I need, still trying to figure out the press issue.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

just got food poisoning, so working on breaking the 140lb version, but i'll still out row you
    WOW and rockin the 920's You are CORE!

need some sample cores?

I have early prototype bros. and volkl explosives that are dead.....

I'm more after a soft EPH, but a skinny spat would be interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_faster View Post
    WOW and rockin the 920's You are CORE!
    they came on the skis mounted to my bootsole, I haven't gotten around to replacing them with 916s, so I just removed the inner springs, din is set at 14, so it's really set at 10, which is where my shit is usually at. I don't tell the ski bunnies that though, I let them think i'm that good of a skier Besides, the looks you get from lifties when you're on 190 w105s with 920s and look like you would snap in a strong gust of wind are priceless.

Mntlion, Haven't thought about the core yet, when the time comes I'll be talking to all those who know more than me, splat, the igneous people, greg from capital, the praxis dude. I too am interested in EHPs but don't want to spend money, but if I build a press for 195-200ish skis, it wouldn't be too much more effort to attempt a soft ehp, hell, i'd want one for myself as there is no way I have the balls for the real one.

cool, keep me in the loop.

12/02/06 Vail, Colorado
    Opening of Sun Up and Sun Down Bowl
    29" in the last seven days
    Mounted with Salomon S900
    Skier: 5'-10", 190 lbs.

I had never skied a reverse camber/reverse sidecut ski before. Upon hearing that Sun Up and Sun Down Bowl were opening on Saturday morning, I had to head to Vail to test these out.

I dropped into Milt's Face for an untouched line. WOW! This ski brings a whole new level of fun. It was just a different sensation of skiing powder. The skis provide a very stable platform. I have never skied powder so fast as I did yesterday. You can just let them run. Turning the ski was effortless. Just awesome.

Skiing through crud was much easier also. The ski just barrells over this stuff. It is much easier to ski this typre of snow faster.

I was a little apprehensive about skiing on the groomer. It actually wasn't that bad. I could point them for a bit and pick up speed and then just throw them sideways to slow down. It was actually pretty fun. It was just a weird sensation to be going that fast sidewasy. The stability on the groomer was good. Of course I was scared to really go as fast as I would on "normal" skis.

Catwalks do suck - as others have said, get ready to pole.

The bases on these skis are bomber! I nailed a rock going pretty fast and I just had a small scrape on the base. I've impressed by the construction.

Of course as I ski these more I will figure out how to ski them better, but the one thing I was tying to figure out is how you hockey stop. You can't edge these, so if you need to stop suddenly how do you stop? I hit the groomer from skiing powder and tried to turn/slow down suddenly to avoid another skier and made the mistake of trying to edge these - that was mistake. I didn't lay it down, but after trying to edge them I was all over the place.

I can't wait to ski these again. They are awesome.
    Last edited by Below Zero; 12-03-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks BZ --

Still waiting to hear a review from someone who's skied these and Spatulas. I'm interested in hearing if they feel any different...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks for the post BZ, good to hear your take on the groomer side of the ski. I haven't rode a rocker ski either so its good to hear your thoughts.
    I am nervous about puttin mine on the groomed too, just keep seeing myself catching an edge like a boarder catches an edge and gets slammed!

I am with El Chup it would be good to hear additional perspectives from people who have rode the spat.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks BZ --

Still waiting to hear a review from someone who's skied these and Spatulas. I'm interested in hearing if they feel any different...
    Same here... I will have both, but my Praxis(s) won't be ready for a couple weeks.

Kidwoo, that was me you saw at alpine yesterday and I am glad you are impressed, hit me up if you want some. Also for everyone else, Summit skis from last year are Praxis skis this year, we were just testing them out. If anyone needs a mount come to Alipne Meadows Repair shop and we have plenty of experience with them. As well in response to the hype, I have been skiing them and truely do not care to ski on anything else with regular camber. Yesterday I skied my Seth's, (I have had three pairs from the last three years) and I didn't have fun at all, oddly enough because they responded how they were made to. Tips and tails catching sucks. After you get used to it reverse camber is not the only way but my favorite way of skiing and isn't that what it is all about having fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonskis420 View Post
    If anyone needs a mount come to Alipne Meadows Repair shop and we have plenty of experience with them.
    Might take you up on that offer when my skis get here. I actually asked Keith if he could drill 'em for me before he shipped 'em, since I don't trust anyone around here to do it (I'm in San Luis Obispo), but he doesn't have a Solly jig. Should I call/ask for someone specific/PM you right before I show up? That'd be awesome.
    “Don’t want to sound like a dick or nothing but it says on your chart you’re fucked up. You talk like a fag, and your shit’s all retarded.”

If anyone needs a mount come to Alipne Meadows Repair shop
    And in the small world department, you didn't happen to be there when a guy with three kids, two skis that needed mounting with 912s, and Tecnicas that need the heels replaced walked in, did ya? If so, that would be me.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
    And in the small world department, you didn't happen to be there when a guy with three kids, two skis that needed mounting with 912s, and Tecnicas that need the heels replaced walked in, did ya? If so, that would be me.
    I saw those piece of shit fischers sitting in there today.

What the hell are you thinking?

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Kidwoo, that was me you saw at alpine yesterday and I am glad you are impressed, hit me up if you want some.
    I'm going to buy all of the next batch and then sit on them long enough to create individual bidding wars on each pair.

Shoot me a pm with some contact info.....yours or keith's. I was setting my bindings on those spats about an hour ago with a feeling of futility for some reason.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I saw those piece of shit fischers sitting in there today.

What the hell are you thinking?
    Clearly, I'm a sucker.

(And to clarify -- that's two pair of skis -- the Big Stix 84s via kidwoo and the Volkl Vectris V20s via 300hp. Ladies and gentlemen, presenting: The Ghetto Quiver!)

Oh, and kidwoo -- bourbon TR?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks BZ --

I've skied both....several times! In fact I rode the praxis prototype which is exactly the same dimensions but not nearly as stiff! kill the spats....N I love the spats! wayyyy more balanced; especially if you wanna do spin tricks in the back-country n much easier on the groomers! I can't wait for a fat dump to take mine out!!!!!