Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much can you slack at work?

So today has been one of those days …. I just can’t concentrate on work. With all this snow and knowing that I’m skiing Baker Friday and Whistler this weekend I just can’t get myself into work. I do throw out an important e-mail to fellow co-workers so it looks like I’m working away but I just find myself reading my forum and checking different sites on the weather and ski resort weather cams.

That said how much slacking do you know you can get away with at work?

My boss told me today that I'm the most productive guy in the office. I was shocked, given the amount of time I spend here, checking weather, etc.

So I'd say the answer to your question is a fair bit.

I have a case of short timers now....

You have no idea.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm pretty sure I used to do "work" at work, but recollections from that era are sketchy at best..

Quote Originally Posted by nhtele View Post
    My boss told me today that I'm the most productive guy in the office.
    Given our conversation about your day at 'work' yesterday, are you guys hiring?

As long as you get your work done and it looks like you're working, who cares? It's all a matter of perception.

I guess I'm just noticing the increasing amount of time I'm slacking lately. Just balancing my time out since I just finished two major projects and its quite time till the next bomb hits.

i had a buddy that actually went to a movie during middle of the work day - that is an advanced state of slack

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by onehotchili View Post
    i am at work right now... drinking New Castle beer playing Playstation.
    I never realized I was so qualified for a job, but drinking beer and playing video games, now thats right up my alley.

Kuba, I dunno if you have the innate level of intelligence needed to grasp the extremely cutting-edge science that we do up here.

On a related note, I promised my boss I would get him a revised copy of a report by the middle of this past weekend. Given that my time was my own once I finished (I was headed out to ski some pow), I was extremely productive - more so than I probably ever will be in a traditional 9-5 setting. That's why college was so great; I got my shit done as efficiently as possible so that I could go do other stuff.

I slack 99.9% of my time
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    That said how much slacking do you know you can get away with at work?
    Alot, I'm the boss
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

advres Guest
    shhh... but I think this thread says it all:
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67535

I'm working for myself now from about May to Thanksgiving, so whenever I decide to go to work, I'm not into slacking off because it costs me $$. The crack filling business is booming in these parts so if I was real money hungry I could work every day during the warmer months, which I did for about six weeks this summer. From about now until spring I have a week on week off work schedule doing random construction. So I can still ski about 20 days a month. And the boss knows that if there's over 12" of new, I won't be there. Pretty happy with this schedule!

i used to be able to slack alot, but new owners will change that. i think i need a new job...

i get to (my job) i have a cup of coffee, think about taking a nap 5am,check weather reports,see whats going on in the tgr world, take my nap, usally untill 2pm and repeat(i think im a slacker)

Quote Originally Posted by onehotchili View Post
    i am at work right now... drinking New Castle beer playing Playstation. it is 3:30pm and now my buddy is pissed he just lost at the video game. overall a nice day in the Presidio... just wish it would snow in Truckee.

btw, Boreal was blowing lots of snow for their white ribbon of death this morning when i drove by...
    OHC, you working in SF these days?

It's more like: How much can I work when slacking?
    Not much!

I allocate between 30-minutes to an hour & a half of my time duriing the work week. The rest is me sitting on the boards (not industry related - usually gearswaps and such), eBay, and hunting for wicked deals on gear and checking the weather, repeadily.

Today, while on the clock, my tires were swapped around.
    aka JunkMonkey (Ttips) ... aka TheBadGuy (Ep'ick)

if you work in and out of an office and even with a little bit of travel, its amazing. get ready to start a list.

got drunk...once
    went to the driving range
    strip club
    sex with girlfriend/wife
    movies, please, use to take the labtop and watch 2 movies in a remote office and call it a day.
    2 hr lunches
    oh it goes on
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

I can slack a fair bit. The nice thing about my job is that if I'm willing to work ridiculous hours (I was at work for 13 hours yesterday), I can work as few days as I want.

So when ski season gets here I work three 12s and then toss in 4 hours from home and ski the rest of the week

My job is slacking, I work security for an undisclosed timeshare in tahoe. Between surfing the internet and watching tv i am either "chopping down trees" hint hint or looking out the window at all the snow that isnt falling. Shit i hope their not reading this.
    LET IT SNOW

This time of year I can slack enough to read everything on here, twice, and watch several episodes of Family Guy, South Park, Seinfeld, Oz and anything else I can find. Of course it isn't really slacking if there is nothing to do.

What is this "work" you speak of???

Ohhhh - making money....I give my best efforts for that given day and what's going on and then leave... but I work for myself.

Havent opened up a workflow in over one week...go to the gym every day between 11 and 1. My team works in CT i work from a remote office in Boston. I am on TGR from when I show up late at 915 and leave early at 430. I go to the driving range about twice a week. Due to my slacking about 1700 retirees had their pension payments delayed for a week in the month of October. I read each of Boston;s online papers in the morning and usually skim the WSJ. And, if need be, I do my grad school homework. This doesnt include Fridays when I meet my friends either at the bowling alley or batting cage. The time I am actually not slacking off...is spent covering my ass for when I do slack.

Anyone hiring?
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by bauerbrian View Post
    Alot, I'm the boss
    This is where I'm heading. I'm young in my job and didn't want to come on board as a consultant just yet. Need to get in close to the industry. As a consultant I think you're seen a bit as an outsider and companies will not disclose as much information as if you were an employee. So I'm working it...learning the ropes, making the connections so that in a few years when I decide to consult I'll have more flex hours to do what I want when I want...ski, bike, travel, start a family...who knows where I will be.

But I'm getting paranoid that at work 'they are watching me' in regards to my time on TGR