Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Low Bulk insulating mid-layer jackets

I'm looking for a *low bulk* insulated jacket (down, primaloft, etc.) that would work well as a mid layer between a polypro top and a shell on cold days. My typical ski ensemble consists of a base layer, thin windstopper fleece, and shell. While this combo works well on most days I freeze my little nads off when riding the lifts in sub ~20 degree temps. I need something warmer in the middle that won't restrict my immaculate skiing form.

So far the leading candidates are the Cloudveil Circuit jacket, Patagonia down sweater, and Mont Bell U.L. Down Inner Jacket. Anyone have experience with these jackets or have another jacket to throw out?

tnf redpoint jacket (primaloft)

I tried on a chocksotne jacket by sierra designs last week. I found it a little short in the arms- I'm 6'2". But it is a great weight- synthetic insulation too- a bonus for winter. I thinking about getting one.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/mens.display.php?id=663
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Ditch the windstopper fleece - windstopper under a shell does nothing but compromise breathability.

Golite, Patagonia, Wild Things, Integral Designs, Mountain Hardwear, Mont Bell, Sierra Designs and even REI all make good Primaloft or Polarguard jackets. I'm partial to Golite, since you can find them for deep discounts quite often. They might be too warm for you, though, have you tried simply adding a light fleece or an insulated vest?

Thanks for the suggestions. The golite option is particularly interesting. I own a couple other golite tops that I'm happy with but I didn't know they made an insulated inner jacket.

I'm guessing that you are referring to the midnight sun down sweater: http://www.golite.com/products/NS_pr...?number=AM1422 Any word on when the next clearance sale will be at their Boulder warehouse?

I got a moonstone synthetic off of SAC a while back that is pretty nice and low profile (aside from the Big Bird color scheme). Moonstone should be pretty cheap right now too (no warranty though). STP had some of the jacket, whose name I cannot remember, as of a month ago.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by whorehey View Post
    +1 This is what I use and it keeps me rediculously warm with just a tshirt under it and a shell over it.

i have a patagucci pull over polarguard sweater that is kick ass, real expensive (typical)

take a look at the lands end catalog they have a primaloft full zip for 60 or so bucks.

Marmot DriClime jacket under a shell has kept me very warm. Might not be the best breathing jacket but for warmth it's been great.

Quote Originally Posted by GFP View Post
    I'm guessing that you are referring to the midnight sun down sweater: http://www.golite.com/products/NS_pr...?number=AM1422 Any word on when the next clearance sale will be at their Boulder warehouse?
    I just heard that it will be Nov. 10-12. No further details yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Marmot DriClime jacket under a shell has kept me very warm. Might not be the best breathing jacket but for warmth it's been great.
    Possibly the best layering item ever produced? Incredibly warm, breathes well, great when worn just as windshell, stands up to light rain reasonably well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whorehey

+1 This is what I use and it keeps me rediculously warm with just a tshirt under it and a shell over it.
    Make that 3. My redpoint has served me very well, and I barley notice I'm wearing another layer.

patagonia down sweater, $165ish, 800 fill, compresses to nothing. I'l ordering one from tramdock in a few days

Or you could add a light synthetic vest like a Patagucci Puffball over your (non-Windstopper) fleece.

i'll give a vote for llbean's primaloft jacket - love mine:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...p&feat=7542-tn

+1 for the redpoint

Not the lowest bulk but the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man jacket fits your description. Good breathability, warm and low weight. I also like the Marmot Driclime windshirt as a mid layer - especially if it is cold/windy.

Obermeyer make some nice thin but insulated jackets made to go under shells.
    You can get one cheap from STP
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Pro...x?baseNo=44652
    or better
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Pro...x?baseNo=44651
    I used one every now and again last season, between my fleece and the shell, and it was fine.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Marmot Dri-Clime Jacket

OR

Patagonia Micro-Puff pull-over

The Patagonia is warmer than the Marmot, but they both have a place in my heart as a layer or a shell. I haven't even looked at a fleece jacket since I got either. Breathable, warm, good windblockers.
    My dog did not bite your dog, your dog bit first, and I don't have a dog.

Another vote for the Marmot Dri-Clime. The list price is now $85? Used to think it was a deal at $99.

In the backcountry all I've needed are a capilene type skin layer + a Dri-Clime & another Dri-clime in the pack to layer on top for breaks or if it's a cold windy summit.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    I got a moonstone synthetic off of SAC a while back that is pretty nice and low profile (aside from the Big Bird color scheme). Moonstone should be pretty cheap right now too (no warranty though). STP had some of the jacket, whose name I cannot remember, as of a month ago.
    I have one of those too -- color is like Mountain Dew or Prestone. Packs down very small in its own stuff sack.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I just picked up one of these babies at STP and LOVE it...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...Jacket-For-Men

It's Thermolite. Awesome in the wind so far.

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

^^^ I have the vest version of that jacket. Love it! I'll either use that or the already highly lauded, in this thread, Dryclim(ax)e jacket as my insulating layer.
    Your dog just ate an avocado!

I recommend a down vest. Over the windstopper if it fits tightly, under it if it fits loosely. Lightweight, packs to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
    Ditch the windstopper fleece - windstopper under a shell does nothing but compromise breathability.
    I disagree. This has been my ski setup for the last three seasons:

-T-shirt
    -Beyond Fleece thin windstopper fleece jacket
    -Hardshell

Breathability is overrated: one or two square inches of venting release more vapor than an entire Gore-Tex jacket. All wicking layers do is soak your insulation layers. They may make you more comfortable when sweating, but you shouldn't be sweating in the first place -- you should be venting or removing layers.