Check Out Our Shop
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Right on. I love Moochies(per your recommendation) and I love the Philadelphian. Lately a lot of people have been raving about Downtown Philly. I'll probably make it there for lunch with a buddy in the next week or so; but, my review won't do much good as I'm only concerned with whether or not it's delicious... not if it's authentic. I'd be interested to know how it stacks up with your standards

Quote Originally Posted by maniloff View Post
    I freakin love Moochie's.

But I'm not from Philly, which is probably why I'm so affable.

That is a pretty fuckin' good Philly there. Worth the money if you are in downtown SLC.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

PSA: Do not expect a real cheesesteak if you go to Phillie's on 2100 S and 900 E. Having a bad day and was headed to Moochies and thought I would give them a try since the name seemed promising. Absolutely disappointing. I knew I was in trouble when they had to mark off all the things I didnt want on there. Then when they asked if I wanted it with their sauce, I knew I was in trouble. However, I did not expect a dry chipped beef sandwich with cheese. Second worst cheesesteak I have ever encountered. I will say their menu shows possibilities, but not sure I can give them another chance since this was supposed to be their "specialty"
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

^Good to know, I pass that place everyday on the way home from work, and have been thinking about giving them a shot. I will continue to take my business to the good people at Moochies, who make the best Philly and best meatball sandwiches I have ever had.

Seriously, is there anything better than a Moochies run after a powder day?
    Keep it unclipped

My new thing at Moochies is the Reuben. It is truly EPIC if you can deal with a good roll instead of Rye bread.

Ha - Just read this entire thread while eating lunch. I have run into the same issue in NorCal after living in Philly back in the day for 3 years. For the record, I agree it is not a Philly Cheesesteak unless your order includes "Wiz with" or "Wiz without" (I am a with onions guy).

When in Philly, I think hands down the best was Dallesandros, but I rarely got there because it was out of the way.

My second fav was Jim's.

Between Pats and Genos, I was a Pat's guy. However, I think Jim's rocks both of them.

Damn, I miss those places thinking about it. A steak from wany one of them, Wizz with, and doused in ketchup. FTMFW!

The only places I have tried when I was in Philly was Pats and Genos. In hindsight I know it was the touristy thing to do. However, Pats and Genos are still way better than anything I have found here. So evertime I think about it I get jealous that people argue that there is "better" than Pats and Ginos. In Salt Lake I just shoot for "anything even close to Pats or Ginos". Uh oh, now getting hungry. Still have another hour before lunch

Bumping this since it's dinner time and I'm jonesing for a cheesesteak.

The best place I've found is the one in Midvale, Back East Cheesteaks. I lived on Ft. Union and went there once a week at least. Better than Moochies and the Philadelphian in Sandy.

Going to hit up DP tonight I think, to try it out.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    For the curious, some pics:

Dalessandro's: http://www.hollyeats.com/Dalessandros.htm
    Pat's: http://www.hollyeats.com/Pats.htm
    Geno's: http://www.hollyeats.com/Genos.htm

This guy's web site has many of the noteworthy Philly Cheesesteak places: http://www.hollyeats.com/Philadelphia.htm

Saw an ad for Lenny's Sub Shop advertising real cheese steaks. Made me think of this golden nugget of a thread. With 2 young kids I dont get cheese steaks near as much as chicken nuggets, but every now and then I "must have cheese steak" and still visit Moochies. So any updates on places I should be trying?

Oh and one more thing I have been pondering a lot lately...... Caputos or Grenatos?

Skip moochies. Skip cheesesteaks in the greater salt lake area. But go around the block to Epic Brewing on state street. They now have a mediocre panini shop where you can enjoy the best beer in the state.

Also: caputos

^^^ You really want me to skip cheesesteaks for a "mediocre panini"? That is just a ridiculous notion if you ask me. Better answer is get Moochies take out and eat it at home with whatever beer you prefer. Seems like a lot better plan than paying for food you know is going to be mediocre.

As for Caputos, I am just not sold on their sandwiches. I cant find one I really love like the Muffaletta at Grenatos. Good thing I just had lunch otherwise I would have to clean drool off my keyboard.

love moochies, havent been there in a minute. the atomic sauce is my jam. always fill a water cup full for later. one time i got the meatball and asked for american cheese on it and the lady owner yelled at me for not getting provolone.

i like the pastrami at caputos, but it is pretty sloppy and pretty espensive. they got some fucking crazy cheese though.
    never been to grenatos, guess ill go there this week

Didn't want to look back enough pages but if I didn't mention it before downtown Philly cheesesteaks has a few valley locations and they are pretty good. They even stock herrs chips and tasteecakes. If you know what those are I know your from an area that has good cheesesteaks. I think moochies imports too but downtown Philly and moochies are the closest to the real thing here. That Philadelphian place in sandy IMHO is just fucking nasty and not just the sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    That Philadelphian place in sandy IMHO is just fucking nasty and not just the sandwich.
    This!!! The place is a hole, it's do dirty makes me feel sick just sitting in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...