Check Out Our Shop

Good deal? / big guys, help

1. I'm looking at some Rossi B4s with Rossi 120 bindings for $499 . They look nearly new, and the sales guy said they were demos and only had been out once or twice. Is that a decent deal? Are B4s overkill for eastern skiing? They seem like a wide ski, but not super wide... which is good for us eastie mags.

2. What size? I'm 6'4, 220 lbs, aggressive skier... Used to play hoop, so Ive got some fairly powerful wheels on me. Im thinkin 195s, but Im scared off cuz they just look so damn BIG! I grew up skiing 201 slalom skis and 204 everyday skis, but that was YEARS ago! What are you big guys skiing on? The other option is 185...

Im thinking of using these for more ripping big GS turns when snow stinks, or taking them west for vaca pow days.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

I considered buying some cheap 195 B4s (actually new-old-stock B3s, same as newer B4s) for hardpack days, but decided that Explosivs were good enough for that, so I passed.

I've never skied in the east. FWIW, the 195s are stiffer than the 185s and rest of the line; different construction.

Do you have other skis already? if so, what?

They're not too big for you based on your height and weight. The rest depends on your preferences and abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

it should be possible to find that setup new for around $550, although $499 still isn't a bad deal. I've seen the B4's recently for $400 and P12's for $150.

as far as length goes, if you were skiing mostly out West I'd say def. go for the 195. But you're not, so you may want to consider the 185. It's going to be a little more versatile/manueverable and still powerful enough for a 220lb pilot.
    Old's Cool.

Other thought: are those demo bindings on there? (since you say shop guy said the skis were used as demo's) $499 w/ demo bindings = I would pass.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    Other thought: are those demo bindings on there? (since you say shop guy said the skis were used as demo's) $499 w/ demo bindings = I would pass.
    Yeah, they're demos. I'm definitely not psyched about the bindings...

FWIW, the 195s are stiffer than the 185s and rest of the line; different construction.

Do you have other skis already? if so, what?
    Definitely like stiffer... So thats a plus.

Yep, have two pairs of 180 Volkl V-pros (one is AT setup which at some point I might take the Naxos off and put them on whatever new big ski I get--I wanted the 190 V-pro but couldnt find it), Rossi 9S WC slalom 165, and Dynastar Twister 175.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit
    I've seen the B4's recently for $400 and P12's for $150.
    as far as length goes, if you were skiing mostly out West I'd say def. go for the 195. But you're not, so you may want to consider the 185. It's going to be a little more versatile/manueverable and still powerful enough for a 220lb pilot.
    Hmmm, new B4s for $400? I havent done a whole lot of research--I just saw these and though "big skis, decent price, BUY!" Then I figured I should ask around before I pull the trigger.

I have some brand new P14s that arent being used right now... I could slap those on a new clean pair of B4s...

Whatever big ski I get, I might end up skiing it mostly out west anyway. I've got a decent quiver for eastcoast bumps, groomers, and occaisional deep snow in tight trees.

Would it be wrong to think that 195 B4s could be pretty fun on a groomer? Also, are there other skis I should be looking at, or are B4s a decent midfat/fat?
    Last edited by Natedogg; 09-22-2006 at 11:53 AM.

I passed on the 195 B4 for around $260. Looks like it could fit your quiver nicely though --

Google "bobo's mogul mouse" in Reno, NV -- give them a call, they're who had it at that price. Maybe they still do... generally speaking, I think shops have a hard time selling big skis, everyone wants an "all mountain" ski.

I passed on the 195 B4 for around $260.
    Dang! $260?! Just called Bobos... only had this years for $699. Thanks for the lead, though!

dont the rossi 120s only go to din 12?

at 6'4, 220 and agressive you will probably be running those almost maxed out. plus the demo weight i would probably pass
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fez
    dont the rossi 120s only go to din 12?

at 6'4, 220 and agressive you will probably be running those almost maxed out. plus the demo weight i would probably pass
    Yeah

And yeah, I think Im starting to agree with you and thechinamanwhopeedonmyrug (el chup). Ill pass. So should I keep looking for a B4 or look at something else? Id like to add a long (since all my others are 180 and less) wide ski to the quiver to cut through crud and ski the pow out west.

i dont know about the B4, but i have never been impressed with the durability of Rossis. i know that has been a dig on them for years, and maybe it has been addressed in the B4 (or the squad)

this is a bit more money than you have been talking about but still a great deal on some big guy skis:

http://levelninesports.com/head-2006...cm-p-1003.html

personally i am waiting for the big bros to come out before i buy any more skis.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

At $499 with a demo binding, I would probably pass, especially if you have a pair of P14s just lying around.

Didn't TJ Burke's friend's shop have some decent deals on B4s? Or B3 Pros from 2 years ago? I think he also had Tankers at a good price, don't know what's still available now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg
    Used to play hoop, so Ive got some fairly powerful wheels on me.
    I might casually drop this into conversation with the next woman I speak to. It's going to sound completely ridiculous with an English accent.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Look into Stockli Stormriders DP's. I am 6'3 220 and am an aggresive skier also. I grew up skiing in AK so i had room to ski a more wide open agressive, high speed style ripping gs turns at high speeds. They are VERY stable at high speeds, VERY little chatter. The drawback on these skis is they have a small sweet spot and if you are not driving them they will drive you. If you can find the sweet spot, they ROCK!!! The other draw back is the cost, since they have limited distribution, especially in the states, they are more of a niche ski and can be costly.

Summing this all up, Stormriders are great if:you love a stable ski at high speeds, aren't really into powder 8's style turns and want a burly ski that will blow through just about anything. They are stiffer than most, BUT, if you can drive them, you will LOVE them

edit: one more thing, Stormriders ski MUCH larger/longer than they really are. If you are looking at a 190+ ski, you can probably get away with a 184 DP.
    Last edited by dk_alaskan; 09-22-2006 at 12:59 PM.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

I'm of similar size to you, 6'4", 200. I would love a pair of B4's but I think the amount underfoot might be a bit of overkill. I ski midwest ice similar to east coast and I would guess you'd be better served with the B3, I think something in the neighborhood of 83 underfoot. Or get the B4's and keep those edges tuned.

That is a great deal and I would lean towards the longer ones and save them for trips out west.

Good Luck,
    Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg
    I'm 6'4, 220 lbs, aggressive skier... Used to play hoop, so Ive got some fairly powerful wheels on me.
    You sound hot. Post pics.

.... I know all about you Ledyard guys

WWCD is offline Non Threating Male Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaLuv
    You sound hot. Post pics.

.... I know all about you Ledyard guys
    This is a first.

But TLuv, if you are asking for pics, go all out and ask for nekid ones.

Just do this through PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dk_alaskan
    Look into Stockli Stormriders DP's. I am 6'3 220 and am an aggresive skier also. I grew up skiing in AK so i had room to ski a more wide open agressive, high speed style ripping gs turns at high speeds. They are VERY stable at high speeds, VERY little chatter. The drawback on these skis is they have a small sweet spot and if you are not driving them they will drive you. If you can find the sweet spot, they ROCK!!! The other draw back is the cost, since they have limited distribution, especially in the states, they are more of a niche ski and can be costly.

Summing this all up, Stormriders are great if:you love a stable ski at high speeds, aren't really into powder 8's style turns and want a burly ski that will blow through just about anything. They are stiffer than most, BUT, if you can drive them, you will LOVE them

edit: one more thing, Stormriders ski MUCH larger/longer than they really are. If you are looking at a 190+ ski, you can probably get away with a 184 DP.
    Be careful, newest Stockli DPs (at least 2005-2006 model) are not so stiff anymore. In particular, they have a much softer in the tip than, say, an Explosiv.
    'Least I ain't chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by WWCD
    But TLuv, if you are asking for pics, go all out and ask for nekid ones. Just do this through PM.
    My PM box is full anyway. But here's a nekkid pic for ya, Court. I know, I know, my ass is hairy--I go the au natural route, not the body-shaving fairy route...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    I might casually drop this into conversation with the next woman I speak to. It's going to sound completely ridiculous with an English accent.
    Hahha, that actually reminds me of a buddy of BenWA and mine... we went out riding with him once and he said "howw do yeww wuike me neww wheews, Bin?"

BTW, thanks guys, for all the advice. Im back to the drawing board. Too many damn options!
    Last edited by Natedogg; 09-23-2006 at 11:57 AM.

oh geez. I walked into that one...

Natedogg, we shall continue this conversation Thanksgiving weekend at the bar underneath DPI.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaLuv View Post
    Natedogg, we shall continue this conversation Thanksgiving weekend at the bar underneath DPI.
    Wait, you want to continue the conversation about why I don't shave my asshairs? I just toldja! What's DPI?