Check Out Our Shop

Kenosha Pass, the other way?

Has anyone ridden from Kenosha Pass in the direction away from Georgia Pass? I'm headed up there next weekend, and wanted to do a quick out and back from Kenosha the other way (~8 miles or so) before heading towards GA Pass.

Check Lost Creek Wilderness boundary, I think it is awfully close to there. Then again, I've been told it's worth poaching.

There is a wilderness boundary, but there is a few miles of riding. We actually did a ride from Buf Creek to Kenosha with a hike-a-bike through the wilderness last year. I would recommend that, but it takes a while with the hiking. That side of the pass also has motorized vehicle trails that come real close to the trail.

And, I learned my lesson about poaching wilderness trails a few years ago...karma. We got what we deserved.

Also, the trees have begun changing (light green/yellow yestedary...I drive from Fairplay to Denver a couple times a week). Maybe by this weekend they'll be in good form.

Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix&2
    And, I learned my lesson about poaching wilderness trails a few years ago...karma. We got what we deserved.

Do tell!
    The rangers here have different funny methods...
    One I know carries a pedal wrench, and confiscates the pedals.
    Another one i heard about, the ranger took the riders skewers....funny!!

wow that would really suck

I don't blame the rangers for their efforts. We were fortunate that we did not run into any law enforcement issues.

We were in South Dakota, and we had decided on a lolipop ride (3 hours). However, in order to complete the loop we had to either a)take the highway or b)cut through wilderness. We decided option b after some "justification". We were like 2 little kids at the sign:
    "Dude, should we do it?"
    "What if we get caught?"
    "We'll play dumb."
    So we had that covered. After about 30 minutes into the trail, my partner had a flat...no make that 2 flats. Neither of us had patches, and I had used my only spare earlier. Right as we were attempting to figure out what we were going to do, a couple hikers came up on us:
    "You guys aren't supposed to be riding in here."
    "Really? Oh..uhhhh...do you have any duct tape?"
    "No" (thinking...yes, I have a roll in my pack, but you idiots aren't getting any)
    So, we got to hike our bikes the rest of the afternoon passing hikers and such, and we ended up on the highway anyway. 3 hours turned into 8 hours, no water, and 1 very angry wife .

I am fortunate that I found the lesson in that situation regarding riding in wilderness. I now respect the law, even if I don't agree - welcome to adulthood.

It's not super short in that direction, but comparitively with Kenosha to Georgia, it is very short. Has a steep climb up some cobblestones that were entirely covered in horse shit the last time I did it. Man I cannot stand fucking horses leaving shit all over the skinny singletrack, on rocks that you are dodging around. There is some big horse stable type thing around there or something, I always see horses around there. Other than that, it is a fun ride. Through some valleys and Aspens and such. Good views. Usually quieter out that way once you pass the range of the dayhikers.