Home speaker system recs.

MY current speakers seam to be dying. They are some jbls that were cheap and got decent sound, but didn't last long.

I'm looking for a set of self powered speakers, probably like four or five speakers with a sub, for under $150, preferably ones that don't suck.

I just have an ipod, so I don't need a stereo system, I just want some powered speakers.

Thanks for any advice.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Ive always had good luck with cambridge soundworks. Good sound and quality for the price. For $150 i'd go with this.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=c1mic2ti

Squatch Guest
    check out some of m-audio's studio monitors. no, they're not surround, but iPods only do stereo anyways.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...Pro3-main.html

they won't blast the roof off or anything, but they should sound good

Go to the local electronic superstore mall and find the computer speaker section that lets you press a bunch of buttons to try out the different systems. It should be quickly obvious which ones sound good and which don't. I found a $40 system that sounded pretty good and a $170 system that sounded like ass.

Bring your iPod. Sometimes if they don't have the setup you can plug it in and try them out yourself.

Little over your budget but these things sound pretty good. Klipsch igroove $209 at amazon. Drop in the ipod charges in place w/remote (limited functions)

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-iGroov...&s=electronics
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by 3names
    I thought about these at first. But they are studio monitors.

I'm no audiophile, but I think studio monitors have a considerably flatter sound than "regular speakers," to accurately reflect the actual sound. Also, I think they are for "near field" and typically are listened to/sound best within 3-5 feet.

I would second Cambridge SoundWorks. I had great results with a 5 speaker set in college.
    Yea, I think studio monitors are for a specific purpose. Ever try and hook a guitar amp up to your stereo? Tons of power, but sounds like shit.

And spats, there is no electronics store here. For a town this size (bozeman) that is really really dumb. If I was rich I'd start one.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Altec Lansing makes some nice sets. I have some 2.1's (2 speakers with sub)form them that were under $100. Check Amazon for reviews to figure out which ones are currently available and have good sound vs price relationship.

You'll never get great soud with powered computer speakers though. I suggest getting an older receiver through CL, then driving a set of decent speakers. NHT zeros are nice for the size/price. Mate with a small sub and you'll blow away all the other stuff.

If you just want compact sound, just get one of those all in one CD players and plug you Ipod into the RCA jacks on the back.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

Quote Originally Posted by flatfive40
    Ive always had good luck with cambridge soundworks. Good sound and quality for the price. For $150 i'd go with this.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=c1mic2ti
    I third CSW stuff. Also, they use Ebay for their distressed inventory distribution, so you can buy refurbs for great % off, and they have the exact same warranty as new (10 year for most stuff)...