Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star
    Dave, I'm pretty sure it's going to be closer to 1 lb per ski.....14 din equipes are around 6+ lb, and 12 din 957 composites are around 4-4.5lb, as I recall.

Have you switched around bindings on a ski like this?...and you didn't notice it? I can tell you I have, and yes, it is very noticeable, especially when doing tight tree skiing
    Have you put a pair of 12 din 957 composites and a pair of 12 din 957 equipes, with hardware and brakes, on a digital postal scale? I can tell you I have, and no, composites are 4.57#/pair and equipes are 5.50#/pair. That's 0.46 pounds per ski.

c'mon guys, arguing with HS is FUN!
    Last edited by davep; 09-08-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SafteySquad
    damn, I'm kinda jealous... anybody have any pow + they want to sell me so I can try this ^^^
    volkl explosives pre bent tips cheap...

NICE SKIS, They should ROCK!!!

With this mod on some 190's, you could have yourself a pair of EHP's for $150.

Do the EPH have sidecut at the tip/tail? or just canmberless?

I think the EPH only has tip rocker
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Squatch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal
    I think the EPH only has tip rocker
    193 actually has a long low rise in the tail (about 10 cm).

and yes it has reverse sidecut in the tip and tail

EHP Pics. I don't really see the reverse sidecut that there is supposed to be, but the tip and tail rocker is there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle
    OK here are some photos...

check the flat camber:

these are kinda hard to tell the scale, but check out the long shovels:

and the 'reverse camber' tail...more just like a long, low rise:

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star
    Thanks Dave. I weighed them a while back and must have gotten the weights mixed up. It guess it was the 997 11-17's that were around 6-1/4 lb, or slightly lighter than S916's (6.5 lb). Anyway, I've skied my axioms with 997 equipes, s916's, and 957 composites. Though I didn't make a direct comparison, I like them the best with 997 composites - they are both lower and lighter than the other two. I still hold to my original point that with this kind of heavy ski, doing tight tree skiing, it is important to get the lightest binding you can within reason. It's a good candidate for the 957c, FKS120, or salomon 912 ti or Z12....something in the 4-4.5lb range.

Andrew: The skis look great, I'll have to do the same to mine and see how they are. I was reluctant because mine are alot newer and still have stock camber and stiff flex.

BTW, anybody see these Axial2 Squads?

http://wangel.jp/bdg/bdg_rossi.htm

HSPPS

oh, and yes, i have seen them on couple pairs of shorter squads i have seen at loveland
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal
    first off Killington has the sickest nipple deep blower you'll ever ski
    ...if you are chipmunk and never look west of the state line

Superneat mod on those skis btw.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S
    ...if you are chipmunk and never look west of the state line

hater

For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

I tried this with a pair of Head Monsters. I broke my stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass
    I spy a future Darwin award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer
    I tried this with a pair of Head Monsters. I broke my stairs.
    You win!!!!

Although I think bossass was probably thinking along a little different lines.

So have these been on snow yet? Inquiring minds want to know.
    undies...

bunched...so tight...the pain...

oxygen...dwindling...

umm yeah, like I'm going to lug powsplatiplus's with all metal salomons with lifter plate and alpine boots up a mountain to go ski what at best is 3-4 inches on no base and at worst is a bunch of unworked manmade snow turning into wet heavy death crust.

maybe you'll get a report by thanksgiving, but with the weather being in the 60's this week I highly doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    a mountain to go ski what at best is 3-4 inches on no base and at worst is a bunch of unworked manmade snow turning into wet heavy death crust.

good luck with the healing....

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    umm yeah, like I'm going to lug powsplatiplus's with all metal salomons with lifter plate and alpine boots up a mountain to go ski what at best is 3-4 inches on no base and at worst is a bunch of unworked manmade snow turning into wet heavy death crust.

maybe you'll get a report by thanksgiving, but with the weather being in the 60's this week I highly doubt it
    Sorry man. I know how you feel. I'm in the PNW and we have nothing yet. All the TRs from CO are making me sick.
    undies...

bunched...so tight...the pain...

oxygen...dwindling...

Any report yet?

I worked yesterday and today trying some of this with an old pair of Explosives (wider would be better, but they are all I had to play with).....had to say good by to my fat shotski though .

I put the tips (and later tails) up on a 2X4 and drove the truck up towards the end and left over night. This looks like it should seriously bend things, but I was surprised how little effect it had. I have gotten about 2-3 mm of bend in the tips and maybe 1-2 in the tails. Gunna have to keep at it, as it didnt take the way I thought it would.....I wonder if it would work better inside due to warmth?

Last edited by Huckwheat; 12-10-2006 at 08:08 PM.
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    I put the tips (and later tails) up on a 2X4 and drove the truck up towards the end and left over night.
    You get serious points for thinking that up. Even more if it works and doesn't delam the skis! FYI, I left my Pow+ under tension for weeks and the bend is not too extreme.

really interesting that this thread got bumped today

I actually decided to go out and ski the fuckers today at Mount Snow(yes I know )

I had stuff to do until 10:30 so I wasn't going to be on snow before noon so I figured what the hell, why not ski the Pow Plus's for a couple of hours to see how they'll handle. I'd already skied the Pow + in its element and its pretty hard to beat as a Pow/Crud ski and its durability and lack of sidecut make it a great candidate for an EC fatty, but my problem with them was that at slow speeds they turned into tanks due to they're heft. So I made two modifications, first was the tip and tail rocker and second was ditching the PS plate and Salomon 957's for Freerides, yes you read that right I threw fritischi freerides on a pair of Pow Plus's

So how did my little experiment work?

Conditions ranged from 3-4 day old suncrust on the side of the trails to glare windblown ice. There were a couple of disorganized bump lines thrown towards the side of the trails as well. The Pow Plus's P3NED everything, much to my complete shock. Its hard to describe but with the rockered tips and tails there was far less edge to engage so I could literally spin a 360 without catching an edge. However I didn't feel like I gave up ANY straightline stability the ski still can charge hard. I would say the new Pow Plus turns like a 170-175 ski but maintains its ability to ski bigger then its length when you put the hammer down. As for the second modification I could REALLY tell the difference in weight from the change in binding, the ski had a new personality, whereas before all it wanted to do was go straight and make check turns to keep the speed below ludicrous, it now doesn't fight the turn, I actually would declare the new rig managable in the bumps, while it won't zipperline, it actually will stay in the line fairly well instead of trying to go straight over and through the bumps like it did before. In the unexpected benefits department the extra lift on the freerides actually came in handy, with the rocker there is far less edge that is in contact with the snow, having the lift enables me to REALLY get that reduced edge to bite when I want it to.

All things considered I'm SUPER excited at the results from today. I figure I already know they'll slay the pow and crud, the problem was always that I'd have to go back to my car and pick a different pair of skis for when it got tracked out/bumped up, now hopefully I won't have to.

next up is to change the tops from black spraypaint to wood
    Last edited by laseranimal; 12-10-2006 at 11:19 PM.

Laser, did you ever get a measurement of the negative camber? I was debating on trying to just take the camber out of mine. Any thoughts on how they might behave if they were just flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    Any report yet?

I worked yesterday and today trying some of this with an old pair of Explosives (wider would be better, but they are all I had to play with).....had to say good by to my fat shotski though .

I put the tips (and later tails) up on a 2X4 and drove the truck up towards the end and left over night. This looks like it should seriously bend things, but I was surprised how little effect it had. I have gotten about 2-3 mm of bend in the tips and maybe 1-2 in the tails. Gunna have to keep at it, as it didnt take the way I thought it would.....I wonder if it would work better inside due to warmth?

I have a new hero.
    His name is huckwheat

Only a few mm of camber left (hard to see):

Only a tiny flare in the tail, mostly it's just flat:

Moderate rocker on the front:

paintjob:

I painted them black but I thought they were so sexy that I just lost control of my bodily fluids.

Eeeew!

They're not mounted yet, we'll see how they ski.

Edit: Here are the photos
    Last edited by Dromond; 12-13-2006 at 08:35 AM.

love the paint/spray job, can't wait to hear how they ski (hope they work for you like laseranimal's do for him)

I dig the paintjob man.
    very jackson pollock

i also notice that on my 183 axioms which i have not attempted to bend, when i press the skis together to simulate 0 camber, the tips have a bit of rocker beyond then end of the shovel....maybe 4-5 inches worth

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post
    love the paint/spray job, can't wait to hear how they ski (hope they work for you like laseranimal's do for him)
    Me too. I'm actually pretty surprised to read that! After skiing at Mt. Snow today I was happy to have my old race skis on and would think that the Pow+ would be sluggish and scary bent or unbent!

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    I dig the paintjob man.
    very jackson pollock

i also notice that on my 183 axioms which i have not attempted to bend, when i press the skis together to simulate 0 camber, the tips have a bit of rocker beyond then end of the shovel....maybe 4-5 inches worth
    I'm not a big pollock fan but I thought I'd keep it simple... and a bit of a mess. Just like my skiing

Also I remember the DP guy (Drake?) saying that the tip profile of the Axiom was especially "luscious" and I believe someone inspirational to him in terms of powder ski design? I'm curious to see how the little bit of rocker affects things. I won't be able to do a real before/after but it will be interesting nonetheless!