Check Out Our Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Hip.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Left Hip replaced 1/16/2020. Anterior approach.

If you have questions I may have answers.
    C, I dunno. I haven't been feeling it but maybe as I get back together that'll change. I'd have to ski different I think. I guess we'll see how I feel and what the doc says and play it by ear. There's not much doubt my best skiing is behind me, not so sure if it's worth it especially since I need to get the other hip done eventually too. We'll see.

Wanna buy a nice condo?

Just kidding, N. is determined to keep the place.
    Hope skiing brings you joy again soon Iceman.

I know a snowboarder that would ski with you. He happens to have an affinity for the green.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I know a snowboarder that would ski with you. He happens to have an affinity for the green.
    haha, I'll keep that in mind for next year, R.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I just noticed this. You had the replacement so you are on your way to improving. I think boating could be harder than skiing on the hips. stay active, best of luck on the recovery. I just had shoulder surgery friday. Thought I would be skiing again Wednesday. Not sure now. This whole aging thing sucks.
    IMHO: Shoulder surgery hurts way more than the hip.

Hips are no big deal. Left hip anterior approach 2/13/2013.
    Probably 500+ days skiing since then, over 400 in just the last three.
    I just avoid hard bumps.

Walking in the pool and doing a lot of ROM movements helped me the most.

FWIW

Total shoulder regarded as most painful surgery.

People often say hip hurts less post op than the preop hip pain.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I just saw a health note that said Vitamin D really helps after hip replacement.
    Not gonna tell ya to rub the cream on the achey crackling shit, cause you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    FWIW

People often say hip hurts less post op than the preop hip pain.
    100% true. Within a couple of weeks, less than pre-op.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Sounds good J. Hope things continue to heal well!
    haha, I'll keep that in mind for next year, R.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Curious if you got any skiing in this year before the shit hit the fan. I took a bicycle spill last Labor Day and had total hip replacement (posterior) the next day. Just a few weeks before my brother had offered to pay for a trip to Colorado to ride for my 60th. He lives in Austin and would drive with a couple of road bikes. When i fell i thought the trip was off, but I never canceled my flight.

I was able to walk with a walker the next day and then without a walker 2 days later. I had a couple of in-house rehabs and then a couple at a rehab place. Once i got on the bike at a rehab place it felt really good and I thought i had a chance for the trip. Rehab lady laughed when i told her and then I checked with my doc who also thought i was nuts.

Long story short I went on the trip 5 weeks after surgery and had a great time. Rode to the top of Vail pass from Frisco day 1, and lesser rides for the next 2 days. I had no stamina but otherwise my hip was not that sore. I got about a dozen ski days in this season and after the initial fear of falling the first couple of days it was not a big deal. I'm sure I'm not the skier that most on here are, so it's not like I'm killing the mountain, but i was pretty close to where i was previously.

I did a bit of indoor cycle classes and I agree with Mazderati on pool time. I never liked swimming indoors, but i forced myself to get into it and was swimming 2500 meters a few times a week and that really felt good and loosened things up. I had gotten a spring pass at Killington and was curious to see how it held up in soft bumps, but....

I'm sure you'll be out there next year if you don't kill yourself by then.
    Heal fast.

Well, here goes nothing on May 31. Part of me want to postpone the new hip given that I'm skiing hard 100+ days a year and touring. but there's no range of motion and always some pain. I'm probably just really used to it. And everyone says they wish they did it sooner.

Going with anterior approach at Steadman so it should go well, I hope.

Anyone with experience going ceramic on ceramic vs ceramic on poly? It sounds like CoC might be a good choice given my younger-ish age of 50 and really high levels of activity, but it's the one thing I'm still pondering.

Any other tips and tricks welcome. This is pretty much my first real surgery, tonsils in 2nd grade don't really count...

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Well, here goes nothing on May 31. Part of me want to postpone the new hip given that I'm skiing hard 100+ days a year and touring. but there's no range of motion and always some pain. I'm probably just really used to it. And everyone says they wish they did it sooner.

Anyone with experience going ceramic on ceramic vs ceramic on poly? It sounds like CoC might be a good choice given my younger-ish age of 50 and really high levels of activity, but it's the one thing I'm still pondering.

Any other tips and tricks welcome. This is pretty much my first real surgery, tonsils in 2nd grade don't really count...
    Damn! You would have been one of the last people I know that I would have expected to get this done. Good luck! Hope you are out ripping in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I skied and climbed with a condition called Legg-Perthes in my left hip til opting for hip re-surfacing procedure in 2013. I was 59 then and the Dr. had doubts due to how deformed and un-natural the hip was. Glad I went with it though. 11 seasons of skiing and tours since and the worst it has felt was a compressed (unrelated) nerve that felt like my hip was on fire. You are correct in stating many say they should have done it sooner. The technology 11 years ago didn't offer ceramic if I recall so I'm probably stainless. It's just a shell (socket) with a matching cap over the ball end so the bone structure remains largely intact. Good luck with your procedure and I suspect you'll make a quick re-hab with skiing possible a couple months following.

subbed. going to see the ortho surgeon on tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm 71, and still ski strong.
    Imo, the secret is lifting heavy weights, lots of morning biking and skinning, in addition to resort skiing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    And i haven't changed my opinion. 75 now, had my right hip replaced two years ago, no issues, ski and mountain bike and lift just like before. So happy so far.

And the hip replacement fixed my knee issue, just like my doctor said. At the time i thought it was bullshit, but he was right.

I had zero internal rotation on my right hip, so all rotation was from my right knee. After the thr, internal rotation was normal, so the knee pain went away. Remains to be seen for how long

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Thanks Telee! There are a tone of relatively young and super active people like me with trashed hips and replacements. I don't even remember liking to sit "cross legged" in elementary school, so this seems somewhat inevitable.

rod, glad to hear yours have gone so well, it seems like almost everyone who gets a THR is pretty happy with the results. Hips are wild in that often the pain shows up in knees and the lower back while everything compensates, or so everyone says.

Ceramic on ceramic hips can squeak. It's real thing and I've seen it in person. None of the docs I know are doing it because of that. Metal on ceramic instead. Google it, it's crazy.

And my hip started to hurt in 2020, only when skiing bumps and when i would bend a lot at the hip to absorb a bump.

Nothing too bad, but i figured that it's not going to get better, so i did it in 2022.

I think it's important to do it early, while you're still very strong

My doctor said i didn't need any pt, just stretch. And he was right.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Ceramic on ceramic hips can squeak. It's real thing and I've seen it in person. None of the docs I know are doing it because of that. Metal on ceramic instead. Google it, it's crazy.
    Yeah, that's the biggest concern. It sounds pretty rare. I don't think anyone is using metal anymore, the balls are almost always ceramic

I don't think anyone is using metal anymore, the balls are almost always ceramic
    I think you're right. There has been concern about trunnionosis from the metal on metal of the metal head on a metal neck.

just celebrated 9 years out on a ceramic ball set in a metal cup with a space age polymer lining. 431 ski days, 11,676 mtb/gravel miles. walk, walk, walk

Good luck GB. I’m getting a cortical steroid injection into my hip in two weeks to hopefully delay my (new), hip as long as possible
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

New Hip.

I had my surgical consult this afternoon. Ceramic ball with poly washer in a Ti cup. He explained that the poly will outlive me anyway.

I’m going to hold off until Fall so I can try and enjoy bike season but should be skiing by late Feb ‘25.

It was also interesting that he said I’ll be back within 5 years for the right side.

plugboots- I got an injection at the beginning of the year and it helped a lot for 2/2.5 months. I think I'm still getting a little bit of help from that, but not much. To Peruvian's point, I felt a bit of discomfort in my right hip for the first time after that shot. I guess once the left was feeling good, I could actually notice the right. I think I've seen stats that something like 80% of people that get a THR will get them both done at some point.

plugboots- I got an injection at the beginning of the year and it helped a lot for 2/2.5 months. I think I'm still getting a little bit of help from that, but not much. To Peruvian's point, I felt a bit of discomfort in my right hip for the first time after that shot. I guess once the left was feeling good, I could actually notice the right. I think I've seen stats that something like 80% of people that get a THR will get them both done at some point.
    Thanks.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Good luck, never met but we have probably have crossed paths at CB a time or two

My right hip has been fucked for a few years now after various accidents. Doesn't seem to be getting worse and no pain during activities, but I know the clock is ticking. I have to really struggle to pull my sandal straps over my heal when standing up due to my hip doesn't want to swivel up very far, so taking shoes on and off is slower than it should be, otherwise still pretty functional, though I know ROM loss is gradual and I am probably just used to the ever changing new normal. Long drives it aches, requires leg stretches to release IT band. IT band is always tight since my acl surgery and I am sure it is more my hip than my knee. My mom has two THR and I was also never flexible as a kid.

Mostly keeping my head in the sand till it gets worse.

Keep us posted.