Check Out Our Shop

TR Horseshoe Mountain 13,898 Boudoir Couloir 4/13/06

TR Horseshoe Mountain 13,898 Boudoir Couloir 4/13/06

Met up with Dobish from TTips at the Morrison Lot and headed up to Park County. The original plan was to do Lincoln and Bross but after having some issues trying to find the trailhead we steered the 4Runner south to Horseshoe Mountain. It was already getting warm. The Four Mile Creek Road was snowed over at 10,700 so we were in for a long walk. We ended up covering about 12 miles and 3200 vert. We skied close to 3100 vert and 5 miles from the top to the truck. The kicker of it was that despite temps overnight above freezing and sun all day we still got pow.
    We had to go as fast as possible as my son was at daycare and had to be picked up by 5:30. A fun trip and nice first western coolie for Dobish. I had a great time breaking the cherry on my new set up, 07 Squad 184s with Freerides. I look forward to getting into some steeper stuff with you soon dude.

Cool old mine building

Cherry Busted on The New Stix

Another Jump for Jaime Pierre????

Last edited by KillingCokes; 04-14-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Good stuff......

I need to get a touring setup.

Cool stuff. Ok, Fritz, I know who's breaking trail from now on.

Sweet I love breaking trail on Frozen spring snow.
    Last edited by KillingCokes; 04-14-2006 at 08:11 AM.

Nice, been eyeing that one for a while. Snow looked $.

Nice pics, but your buddy needs to get rid of those stupid leashes.

Nice work and great pictures dude. I did Sherman last weekend solo and was wondering what the name of that mountain was. That view of Horseshoe mountain while skinning up that four mile creek road was particularly enjoyable. Your line looked like the best option for sure but there were some other nice lines with some mandatory 100 footers off that peak.

I enjoyed that area, it's not the most spectacular by any stretch, but there is some good skiing and any day out in the mountains is a good day.

Good TR and interesting looking mountain. Looks like snow cover is a bit thin. Mind if I ask what is going on with the turns in this pic? It looks like a hard right to stop, then jump turn left.

It was my first time on these skis and I was trying to figure them out. With the exposure to my left and unexpected winter snow I was a little weirded out.

The flat ramp angle of Freeride bindings, and softer AT boots can definitely make you feel in the backseat and less confident. Give them a day or two at the resorts to dial it in. Great you were able to get out. Beats the hell out of piloting the desk like me this week.

Quote Originally Posted by homerjay
    Nice pics, but your buddy needs to get rid of those stupid leashes.

well, if the Black Diamond bindings didn't loosen up on me, I wouldn't have to use the stupid leashes! They came in handy on the way up when my right binding decided to come off.

it was a great trip... and i definately forgot to re-apply the sunscreen....

Does that line go right out of the back door of the old cabin that's up there?
    Change is good. You go first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobish
    well, if the Black Diamond bindings didn't loosen up on me, I wouldn't have to use the stupid leashes! They came in handy on the way up when my right binding decided to come off.

it was a great trip... and i definately forgot to re-apply the sunscreen....
    Welcome to TGR.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbd
    Does that line go right out of the back door of the old cabin that's up there?
    That's exactly it

nice. looks like good spring skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by jtq_99
    nice. looks like good spring skiing.
    Not a lick of corn till we got down low. Winter conditions up high with about 6" of snow. Super surprising

nice work. still on my "to do" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirquerider
    Looks like snow cover is a bit thin.
    The Mosquito Range general gets hit with ALOT of wind and this year it has been particularly fierce. Theres plenty of snow to be had but not on wind exposed areas.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by KillingCokes
    Not a lick of corn till we got down low. Winter conditions up high with about 6" of snow. Super surprising
    Good to hear there's some good snow still to be had!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

nice one KC. We also found unexpected pow on a high north facing slope in the elks yesterday. Horseshoe might be lower than Sherman, but it is so much more distinctive from the east.

Horseshe is a great mountain. I've never been disappointed up there (I live about 15 minutes from 4 mile th). The east face is a great summer ski. My eyes are on this gem :

This is a south east chute that is hard to spot. I do not know the name of it. This photo was taken from the entrance to the Boudoir Couloir last year.

For Sherman, I recomend the ?? Chutes. They are the north east facing chutes that you can see from highway 9. You can access them from Sacramento Gulch. No crowds, steep, and a beautiful approach.

route:

hike up chute:

I hope to get up to some of the other peaks just south of Horseshoe. There are some real nice chutes back there for late spring.

I used to live in Fairplay and skied everything you mentioned back in 95 except the thin coolie on Horsehoe, which looked really good, not quite as filled in as your pic. Sherman East Chutes are super fun. Try accessing Ptarmigan from Weston Pass and ski the east bowls.

Bump For Stoke

Good stuff!
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Wow! Whats the estimated angle on that tight chute pictured above by fortysix&2? Looks like 55 plus easily...

I'd say that chute is in the 50s but it's pretty short.