Digi Camera Advice...

So I don't feel like wading through all the old posts.

My specs:

1. Compact enough for skiing.
    2. Relaively rugged/water resistant
    3. Good on shutter lag
    4. 5 mpx or >
    5. 3x optical zoom or >
    6. Proven ability for outdoor pics
    7. $400 or under
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Canon A610...not as small as some out the but an OUTSTANDING camera.Available for around $200. on line. C-NET search for the best buy.Get at least a 1gig sd card cause the one provided is useless. In addition to great pics, a huge advantage for me is it uses 4 AA rechargeables and can use plain AA's in a pinch that coupled with awesome battery life sealed the deal. I carry mine in a small case with a long strap that sits just under my armpit while skiing. That keeps it warm and dry.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/

It's about half way down the page. Check the review of the A620 there. It is basicly the same camera and a much better deal.
    Last edited by mrw; 04-03-2006 at 01:19 PM.

http://www.h20camera.com/index.jsp can be found on ebay with some extras for around $230.

Played with this one in Japan last week, I'm planning on getting it as soon as it comes out in the U.S. Retail is around $400, waterproof and about as small as a Canon SD400.

Olympus product page

I have a buddy using a Pentax WP for kayaking and he seems stoked. I use a Rebel XT but that won't fit your criteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Exclamation

Stay away from the Sony Cybershit line. The old ones (circa 2002/03) were good, but the later ones are pieces of shit that die for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani
    Stay away from the Sony Cybershit line. The old ones (circa 2002/03) were good, but the later ones are pieces of shit that die for no reason.
    Probably got splashed taking pics of mud wrestling.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani

I have a pretty old (01' maybe) Sony DSC-P50 somethin that takes rediculously good pics. Very nice cam with lots of options. However, a little larger than most cameras today. Probably could be had for $150 on ebay. Very nice cam.

My Cannon PowerShot A80 fits the bill except it's 4 mpx vs 5mpx. Look for an updated version or new model. My is almost 2 years old.

the pics in this TR were taken w/ the A80.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48665
    Last edited by StormDay; 04-03-2006 at 05:07 PM.

Canon A620. Fits in pocket, Long battery life, 7.1 megapixel, 1.8 fps shooting rate, 640x480 resolution movies, no write delays, fast with Digic II and USB2 about $275

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo
    Played with this one in Japan last week, I'm planning on getting it as soon as it comes out in the U.S. Retail is around $400, waterproof and about as small as a Canon SD400.
    You should investigate that before you buy, I have one of the olympus stylus cameras from a couple years ago (4 MP, forget the model right now). I bought it for skiing/fishing because it was waterproof but it takes pretty bad pics. most are blurry, shutter speed is slow, and no burst mode. for me it has been a waste of money for the most part.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Cirquerider
    Canon A620. Fits in pocket, Long battery life, 7.1 megapixel, 1.8 fps shooting rate, 640x480 resolution movies, no write delays, fast with Digic II and USB2 about $275

Either A610 or A620, the secret here is the Digic II processor. If you go Canon, that's what you want.