Rossi Axial / Power / P10/ P12 vs 05/06 Axial2 binders?

Any thoughts on the 2nd generation Rossi Axial binders? I have the originals (really like them) on my Maden's and bought the Axial2's for a second pair of skis (Sumos, Pontoons, something way fat - haven't decided yet) but am not sure I like the look of them as much. (got 'em on sale for a great price) I like the short mounting of the original Axials, and the twisting heel. But then the Axial2 may help stiffen up a soft pow ski a bit.

Any opinions on the new version? Couldn't find anything via search.

Errr... you dont like the looks of them as much? what the hell does that mean

But in regards to your question the Axial 2 is a better binding. It releases cleaner and provides better forward pressure.

One thing I noticed is that is doesn't look as easy to reach under the heel lever when assisting entry in deep snow. You can grab it from the sides, but can't get a full handful. Also I'm not sure using the binding to increase ski stiffness is such a good thing, seems 180 degrees from the "what makes a good binding" talk of the last twenty years.

Minor points I suppose.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-25-2006 at 04:45 PM.

first of all, you fucking said "binders" so you need to die. second off all, axial2 is just look/rossi being cheap. yeah they suposedely made it torsionaly stiffer, but they took out the pivot. and it down't make the ski stiffer.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn
    first of all, you fucking said "binders" so you need to die.
    Negative. I willing to bet thats the case in Jersey, where your customers actually think that's what their called. We don't have that problem here.
    Drive slow, homie.

first of all, you fucking said "binders" so you need to die. second off all, axial2 is just look/rossi being cheap. yeah they suposedely made it torsionaly stiffer, but they took out the pivot. and it down't make the ski stiffer.
    Sigh...how about some EDUCATED opinions from someone over the age of 18?

I'm a little apprehensive about the new style. They heel piece where it comes into contact looks more vulnerable (the little wings specifically), I think there was a thread about a broken one a while back on here.

I definitely don't think I'll want to drop money on them until the ski population has developed a verdict on them.

I just found out that the new models do not have as fat a wide brake available as the old ones (at least here in Japan).

Get lost, bag o' dicks.

I've heard mixed reviews on the durability of these, but the torsional stiffness is important with skis getting fatter. Gaining more control of your skis in only a good thing.

Dork, do you even know what Pivot does? Do you even know why it's important? And why you can achieve the product of "pivot" without actually using it? Elasticity is the answer, something Looks are known for. The Axial2, while it seems amazing, has more elasticity than the Axial. Look wasn't fucking a fat donkey while they made these. Durablilty may be off slightly, but will improve with time.

I say binders sometimes. Binders, binders, binders.

Binders.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

of course i know what the pivot does. BINDINGS
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

first of all, I fucking said "down't" so I need to die...

i dunno i dont see how removing the pivot would make for a nicer release motion physiologically speaking...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok
    I just found out that the new models do not have as fat a wide brake available as the old ones (at least here in Japan).
    I'll have to compare the brake width to my old ones, picked up a pair of the Axial2 Ti's from REI for $99 and the wide brakes for $20. Probably going to have to cut & weld-in brake extenders anyhow, my next pair of boards will be at least 125mm waist.

Tell us then, Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    i dunno i dont see how removing the pivot would make for a nicer release motion physiologically speaking...
    I don't know the mechanics behind it exactly, but I've played with the new ones and are like 30% more elastic than the Axials. Again, not speaking to durability or even retention, BUT they are more elastic and release smoother than the already impressive original Axial.

Axial2 is good technology. The Line binding was really good technology. But, just because the technology is good, doesn't mean the function always is. I wish Line had more money to develop their binding. It was tested at a world class university and found to significantly reduce knee injuries. I don't know about you, but I'm getting nothing but older.

Comes down to how much friction there is between the boot heel and the binding, maybe there just isn't a whole lot and the pivot is unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks
    Comes down to how much friction there is between the boot heel and the binding, maybe there just isn't a whole lot and the pivot is unnecessary.
    I think that's half of it. Remember the old heels that would spin all the way around? Each version of the heel had less twist to it...the latest Axials would only move a few degrees left or right. The only reason they needed to twist at all was because of the metal arms on each side of the boot.

The other half of it is that Axial2 now uses the same brakes and lifter plates as the step-in bindings. Less parts to make = cost savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats
    I think that's half of it. Remember the old heels that would spin all the way around?
    Yeah, I used to rock Marker MR's in '89. Good binding for lighter racers who didn't need MRR's.

Haven't we had this dicussion before?
    Binders: Salomon 997, 900S, 916. Look P18, Rossi FKS

Bindings: everything else.
    and I work at Huntah so I am an authority on this stuff
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

forgive me for my jongish questions but can someone shed some light why the new style would be inferior to old axials as mentioned by Marshalolson in the nice "recommended" thread ?

I do not want to start a fight or anything but found nothing with various searches. maybe this has been discussed , if so maybe point me out where.

feeling jong

in addition to my above post.

I have seen a post where it is mentioned that the heel jaws are more exposed to rocks and therefore more prone to wear. but would like to know what the other minusses are.

Do only have first hand experience with the Axial 14 - bomber so far, release when the are supposed to, no durability issues/breakage so far. Pretty happy with it.