Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    quick question, not enought to warrant a new thread...

so i've scored some pretty slightly used explosiv 2's off ebay and i was lining them up with my cmh (pretty beat) versions last night. the 2's have the toe mounting point rather than midsole. the cmh line is at 73.5 cm from the tail and with a 317 boot toe at the 2's line, they measure 71.5 to the midsole. quite a big difference no?

also, 2 other differences, the cmh has a lower profile tip and is a touch shorter (maybe 1 cm?)

this is all for the 180.

much as i liked explosivs a few years back, for me the 186 cm head m88 (which is 89 at the waist in this length) is better in every single aspect (other than being too heavy for BC.) than the 190 explosiv. skis pow better despite having a narrower waist. more stable at speed. more versatile. better edge hold on hardpack.

some time ago i firmly concluded that i disliked skis with a lot of sidecut. 30+ m radius seemed what i preferred (still do, mostly). but the m88, with 21.7 m radius, manages to rip GS and fall-line short turns surprisingly well. i'll still hold on to my prejudice against sidecut, and consider the head the exception to the rule.

i have, and like, my bro stiff 188s. they are lighter than the 190 explosiv and much lighter (by about 1.3 lbs/pr) than the head m88. so for BC i much prefer the brostiffs. for resort skiing i care more about tracking ability at speed in variable snow conditions; from that point of view i rank the head a 9 out of 10, the explosiv an 8, and the bro stiff a 6. OTOH i've yet to find any ski of similar dimensions and weight as the bro that skis as well as the bro.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Pairs 9 & 10, one each 180, 190.

Just a few thoughts to add since I am also an Explosiv enthusist (sp?). I'm on my 3rd season with my Explosives and I added a pair of Gots to my quiver this year to share the playing time on the field. After skiing the Gots for 3 days straight I went back to the Explosivs...there is just no comparison. The Explosivs are in a different universe. Although the Gots are a much better ski in untracked powder, the Explosivs dominate everywhere else. I think somone wrote earlier that they like the Gots better on hard pack...the Gots ARE great on hard pack but I think the Explosives slice like a race ski even in the hardest conditions (Granted, I grew up racing in VT and NH which might put me in a little different frame of reference).
    Other thoughts and memories since everybody else is dropping stories and waxing on about the Volkl gang:

The first day I skied on my Explosivs they absolutely kicked my ass to the point I questioned my purchase... a little. I felt like I was a horse wisperer trying to tame a bronco. I had been skiing floppy powder boards for 2 years, so the change was abrupt but well needed (Just a thought, it seems other ski companies make powder boards that are much more of a 1 trick pony, but Volkl just makes a big all around ski that happens to ski well in powder due to width). It ususally takes me about 3 runs to figure out a ski inside and out. It took me 3 hard days of skiing to figure out all the personality quirks of the Explosiv. But that's exactly what makes them sooo good compared to other skis - PERSONALITY.

Comparison to Gotamas...in my opinion.
    I have last years Gotamas 05/06 183cm and the maroon Buddahs 180 cm.
    Me - 6 Feet 210 Lbs (lean)- Grew up racing, tree skiing, and bump skiing in New England.(Mainly Stowe, Sugarbush, & Jay) Now live in Denver.

I stayed away from the 190 lengths because I've had some major knee injuries and I just don't feel the extra length adds anything other than weight to these skis (I can't say that for all skis). Believe me I was THE long board guy for years so it took me a long time to go all the way down to 180...but I love them. (Side note...anyone want a nice pair of Volkl CrossRangers 200cm???)

Gotamas - More of a relaxed ride but not lathargic or floppy. Could be a little bit snappier or quicker for tree skiing. I found them to be pretty good in the bumps, except for when they were really firm and tight. The Gotamas are best in untracked powder and heavier wind blown snow. They ski really well on groomers and only skid a little on boiler plate which is a lot better than one would probably expect from a ski this wide.

Explosivs - A very lively and powerful ski. You need to steer it old skool style and learn to manage the stiffness in different conditions. It gives one the feeling of total dominance in almost all conditions (Like trying to get rid of an ant farm using a Tomahawk missile). It's very high strung, so you need to stay on top of it at all times. It is definitely not the right ski for everybody, I would say the Gotama would have wider appeal. It rips on hardpack, snappy yet smooth in trees, takes adjustment in bumps but does okay, and it is at its absolute magestic best in chopped powder and crud. Simply the best hands down because it slices through like a blade rather than absorbing. I personally think it skis a little nervous in untracked powder which is why I bought the Gots. The Gots are a better pure powder ski.

Both skis make all turn shapes well but definitely perform better at high speed. The explosiv snaps through the turn much more aggresively. I also feel the Explosivs take abuse better, I don't know how many days I've rattled them through rocky chutes and be amazed at the end of the day to find no damage. I don't know maybe lucky but it does seem strange.

I don't know what I will buy when my Explosivs are done...there ssems to be a lot of mixed reviews on the Mantras, but I'd like to take a spin on them myself before I write them off. Personally I really enjoy my Gotamas too, if they were a tad stiffer under foot and in the tail I think they have the potential to surpass the Explosiv (there I said it). And I mean more stiffness than this year's Gotama model. I tried the 06'/'07 for a couple runs yesterday and I would say the difference from the 05'/06' was very, very small. I wouldn't make it as stiff as the Explosiv, just a little stiffer to give it a touch more snap in tight spots.

See ya on the hill !
    Skiah for life

That was a great review and comparison.

(And personally I'm stoked on my new 06/07 190 Gotamas...from your review I guess they're perfect for me. We'll see in a few weeks...)

Please bring back Explosives.

Bump cause one of you explosive-holics should buy my 190s. Too much ski for me (I'm sticking to my 180s.)

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81091

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Bump cause one of you explosive-holics should buy my 190s. Too much ski for me (I'm sticking to my 180s.)

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81091
    Ha, no bites on my 2 pairs of 180s. Go figure.
    SLOWER TRAFFIC
    KEEP RIGHT
    http://shifter102.blogspot.com/

If the Katana turns out to be as good as I hope, the need for an Exploder will further be reduced! Or so goes my prophetic prediction...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    If the Katana turns out to be as good as I hope, the need for an Exploder will further be reduced! Or so goes my prophetic prediction...
    Or for the Gotama - sound more likely when looking at the reviews (except for going switch of course ).

Trying to kill some time online, I found this thread, and realized I am not the only one mourning the Explosive. If this ski was to be made again, I'd easily buy two pairs of 190s. We should go for the 01/02 - 02/03 version, though. Those were the heaviest and most damp skis of the whole series, and they had that useless, but somehow charming, nano-twin. And, of course, they would have the Wizard graphics.

Switched between my Explosivs and Gots quite a bit this Spring and I have to admit I like the Gotamas a lot more for Spring skiing. The Gotamas just liked to go faster and ripped tougher terrain with much more ease. I'm starting to wonder if I dig the side cut more too.

Can't wait to get Katanas....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Skiah for life

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    I've been asked to clarify the Mantras not holding up and i have to confess that I refer to recent posts regarding de-lams and thin bases. My own Mantras found their way to a well deserving soul who says I changed his life...thus the Mantras....

So um yeah, the self quote...so hot. I just want to clarify that it was the donating of my Mantras that changed this guys life.. his ski life. I, personally, did not change this guy's life. There was that time I walked on water, but...

oh yeah, I'd buy explosivs again, and again, again..
    Last edited by train07; 05-23-2007 at 06:06 AM.
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd View Post
    still kicking myself for not picking up those never mounted wizards I saw in the shop a couple years ago for like 300....
    I know what you mean. I was looking for a replacement for my aging 190's in the spring of 05 when all the hype about the new Mantra was going on. No one had any explosives left, but my home shop had one pair of CMH top sheet 190's from 04 and two 180's. Of course I got sucked into the newer is better hype and I bought 191 Mantras and mounted them with Naxo's. They were OK and skied similar to the explosive in some conditions, but they were not quite as, for lack of a better word, explosive. They are a mellower ski, which are just as good in new soft snow, and maybe a bit floatier in deep powder than the explosive, but not as great in variable mixed conditions especially tracked powder and crud. They are also a little more awkward to skin in because of the wider tip. However, I would agree with several peoples point of view that they are a more acessable ski to the majority of skiers.

I had been away working for several months in the early winter of 05/06 and decided to go back to the store and make them an offer on the 190 CMH explosives, which were still sitting there all summer and into the fall. Of course, someone had bought them a short time before and one pair of 180's had just been snapped up as people were now beginning to realize that these were the last of a legendary ski. I bought a 180 as it was all there was left, but they sold it to me for cost as I buy a lot of gear there. I thought it would be too short for me, but it is a great ski, especially for the tighter lines on the smaller local hills where it has become my favorite ski. It just amazes me how it can hold a line through anything, even the worst mank. I had some great times on them this season. One day in particular this spring, just crsusing through a couple feet of heavy new west coast snow, I wouldn't have wanted anything else. They are a perfect compliment to my 183 Gotamas for smaller hills. For the bigger resorts I have the 190 Gotama, and when it starts getting pushed around as things get tracked up, I would switch to my battered 190 explosives. At the end of last year, I bought the 186 Legend Pro as a replacement for them and, although the LP is heavier, it is a worthy replacement. It is more stable and damp in crud, floats better in powder and is better on groomers and is quite lively for its size and weight, comparable to a 190 explosive. It just takes a bit more energy to ski.

Just for good measure though, I was able to get a used pair of ex CMH 190's at the end of last season as well, when CMH sold off the rest of their explosives at 450 can. with demo bindings. They don't seem to be quite the same as the old ones. These were the last production run. In fact, I have heard that they produced them in 05/06 for CHM exlcusively after they had discontinued the consumer version. These seem just a touch softer, maybe it is my imagination, but are still the good old explosive I love. The seller said that they had held back a few for use this season and may be selling them off this summer once the guides had their pick of them if there were any left. Keep your eyes and ears open.
    Last edited by Wetdog; 08-04-2008 at 09:30 PM.

(Homer drool) explsoivs, is there anything they can't do (homer drool)

Out and about on grnd montet today. Mix back of every winter snow condition imaginable and they slayed it all. The straightness is such a huge asset in funky snow.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Whelp
    I guess I'm on my way to being one of the converted.

This morning was rough. First day on 180 buddha's and most of it was spent in the back seat. Bridger was a little bumpy and I spent so much time sitting back on my tails I pondered having my mail redirected.

I got off the explosives and onto some 188 G4's, which helped me get back in the swing of things. The extra sidecut helped the tip engage and I started skiing more aggressive and balanced again.

I decided to go back to the explosivs for the last 2 runs of the day. I needed to know if I got the wrong ski. It turns out I was wrong. I skied the exact same runs that I had that morning and a ski that 2 hours ago I thought was a bucking bronco was now a docile crud buster. Instead of sitting back and ridding them, I had to be active. I just had to drive the little bastards and not be a nancy pants.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Are these the Explosivs that everyone loves?

Came home today and found them in my garage. I'm guessing my landlord dropped them off. My hands were full so I didn't get a good look, but I'd guess they are at least 190cm.

Thats the first gen I belive I think the best looking of that series. I have the explosiv 3 in a 180
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

But the first generation still skis well?

After I figure out how they ended up at my house, I may have to try and get a day or two on them.

edit: they are the 190s, stiff as hell, but the BSL is all kinds of wrong so I'd have to remount them.
    Last edited by TexasGortex; 01-08-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    But the first generation still skis well?

After I figure out how they ended up at my house, I may have to try and get a day or two on them.

edit: they are the 190s, stiff as hell, but the BSL is all kinds of wrong so I'd have to remount them.
    Yes. Skis very well.

I had a pair for two seasons of the exact same type as you have, mounted at about +6 (from schuspitze), they ski like a snappier, less damp OG LP.

Remount, give them a tune and report back.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

If he is willing to give them to me, I'll remount. I was just going to ask to borrow them if the BSL was close enough. I'll solve the mystery of how/why they showed up in my garage soon enough. At this point I don't know if he gave them to me because I like skiing, or he ran out of storage space at his house. I'm leaning towards the latter. I'd take them though! And those Dynastars are in pretty good shape with halfway decent bindings.