Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Review: Lotus 138

The Ski: Drake Powderworks (www.dpskis.com) Lotus 138
    Length: 192 at Flex 2 (medium flex) mounted on the marked mid-sole line.
    Dimensions: 140-138-139

Me: Skier for 20-something years. Ex-east coast bumper. Kirkwood for the past 5 years. 5'10" 180 lbs. Like to ski fast & occasionally jump off things.

Conditions: 36" in 36 hours. Deep. Light. Smooth. Untracked in the AM. Bumped/crudded out and sun affected in spots in the PM.

First off -- HOLY SHIT!

That was about all I could say during my first 3 runs on these skis. I felt like Superman. These skis wanted to make any shape, or form, of turn that i felt like and at any speed. They are like Ferrari's. I had to readjust my thinking as I was blazing down to runs in deep snow as easily and as fast as if I were skiing a steep cordoroy groomer....I kept thinking to myself, "I shouldn't be skiing this fast here. This is nuts. I shouldn't be skiing this deep snow, this fast, and with this much control". But there i was....maching. And while maching at lunatic speeds, you can bust out any turn you wanted:

Hey look at the windlip over there covered in 2 feet pow...snap a turn off it? No problem...then accelerate out and just laugh.

Hey I think I want some face shots....no problem. Just bounce up and down a little, roll your ankles, bank out some high speed powder slalom turns, and feel the cold slap across your cheeks.

Hey I think I want to lay 'em over and carve some deep GS trenches in this pow...no problem...spread you stance, roll your ankles, pressure that downhill ski, flex forwards, and BOOM your layin 'em over, in 2 feet of pow, and nukular speed, unweight, and carve the next trench. SICK.

In the crud......my mind was playing catch up with how fast you ski through manked up bumped up tracked out crud. I'd hit bumps, troughs, and be thinking, "God damn I'm hitting this crap way too fast, I'm gonna get knocked in the backseat, I'm gonna get destroyed." But no....keep your hands forward and accelerate. Pass your friends by like they're standing still. Laugh. Smile alot.

Fuggin amazing amazing skis. I originally bought these for my Alaska trip coming up in April...but god damn, any pow day at the 'Wood it will be hard to say no to the allure of the the Lotus 138.

Oh and groomers (have to sneak this in hear). They're carveable on groomers. MUCH easier than Spatulas. Still a bit odd, but that teeny bit of sidecut keeps them in control and you can carve using the bit of traditional sidecut that's directly under your foot.
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 03-16-2006 at 11:39 AM.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Marshal just kicked himself in the nuts for getting the small ones.
    Thanks TY (you gonna get a drag chute to deploy for HA sized future hucks with those?)
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    Marshal just kicked himself in the nuts for getting the small ones.

sweet review ty. my thoughts exactly.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson

sweet review ty. my thoughts exactly.
    put some demotracks on yours and start pimpin em to make some sales
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Thumbs up

Suddenly $900 seems totally worth it. Thanks for the review.

Edit: So they're faster and smoother in the chop than spats? Seems unpossible, but if it's true I'm really tempted.
    Last edited by robokill1981; 03-16-2006 at 12:04 PM.

Now I'm drooling even more waiting for mine to get here. I'll post another review once mine are up and running next week.
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

Killer review, I think I need some now.....crap

How do they ski vs spats?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

put some demotracks on yours and start pimpin em to make some sales
    you're first in line, you little sandbagger!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    How do they ski vs spats?

Good point. Even before this review, I had no doubts that they'd slay light pow. I'm really interested in how they'll perform in windbuff compared to Spats.

summit- from Marshal's 120 review:
    but it is very much the spatula that you wish been out for 4 years. smears and butters like you'd want it to, but lighter, and easier to carve in a tight spot, with a bigger platform for stopming.
    Marshal- yes Actually, keep those linkens and put em on, best demo binding ever (I bet my boots would fit in your trainers though?)
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

I bet my boots would fit in your trainers though?)
    yup. you'll let little poo out when you see them

summit - for my .02: HERE and HERE

ty - what do you think re: spats vs. 138?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Regarding vs Spats....

Lotus's are definitely more stable...and don't feel like you're going to go over the bars at any speed. On Spats, I would definitely get that feeling from time to time. Big improvement here.

and of course the Lotus's are MUCH lighter. it's ridiculous how light they are when comparing to Spats. Big improvement here as well.

and on groomers. Lotus 138's are definitely easier to manage. You can stilllll get a bit of that bowed leg feeling...but it's much more manageable and they're easier to carve in a traditional sense.

Lotus 138's vs. Spats...In my mind, Lotus's win hands down. Spats could get the nudge because you can find them now for less than half the price of Lotus's, but shit, I'm glad I sold my Spats and got these. no regrets at all.

OH AND ONE MORE THING:

Mounting:
    Take these to the best tech you know to get mounted. To my knowledge, Marshall correct me if I'm wrong, there's no jib available that can fit a 138 waisted ski (I think Salomon just came out with one that fits 135 waists). anyway, one of the best shop techs in South Lake said that he spent HOURS mounting these as he was measuring and re-measuring to make sure he nailed it. He said the red-line graphic was off slightly on each ski causing him to rethink his measurements over and over. Take these skis to someone you trust....and pay and tip them well.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Mounting:
    Take these to the best tech you know to get mounted. To my knowledge, Marshall correct me if I'm wrong, there's no jib available that can fit a 138 waisted ski (I think Salomon just came out with one that fits 135 waists). anyway, one of the best shop techs in South Lake said that he spent HOURS mounting these as he was measuring and re-measuring to make sure he nailed it. He said the red-line graphic was off slightly on each ski causing him to rethink his measurements over and over. Take these skis to someone you trust....and pay and tip them well.
    true... my salomon jig just BARELY fits over pontoons (130), and, doubt it'll fit on the 138.

and to re-emphasize: USE A 3.5 x 7.5 BIT. DO NOT USE A 9mm depth bit. VERY IMPORTANT
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    Who actually ended up doing the mount? I only semi trust the shop in Carson City, and SLT is only 10 mins away as opposed to Reno [1hr+.]

Quote Originally Posted by BLOODSWEATSTEEL
    Who actually ended up doing the mount? I only semi trust the shop in Carson City, and SLT is only 10 mins away as opposed to Reno [1hr+.]
    I have a Salomon jig you are welcome to borrow. You have to position it on the ski freehand (the arms on the jig are bent up out of the way), measure a LOT to the ski edges, then C-clamp the jig to the ski to the workbench, measure again, and drill. I've mounted about 4 pairs of skis using this method, works fine. Obviously no limit to ski width using this technique. Just measure very very carefully.

PM me if you want to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Brent at Tahoe Boot & Ski. He's on 50 just a couple of doors down from Tahoe Keys Blvd. In my humble opinion, he's the best tech in South Lake. I trust him 110% w/ my gear. The guy is a magician with skis. The fact that he noticed the lines weren't quite right speaks volumes. Most techs would just mount them up.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    I have a Salomon jig you are welcome to borrow. You have to position it on the ski freehand (the arms on the jig are bent up out of the way), measure a LOT to the ski edges, then C-clamp the jig to the ski to the workbench, measure again, and drill. I've mounted about 4 pairs of skis using this method, works fine. Obviously no limit to ski width using this technique. Just measure very very carefully.

PM me if you want to use it.
    I may take up your offer on that. The '07 Maden's are supposed to be here today, and after the RMS fiasco [which you know about,] I'm not sure I really trust anyone with my shit anymore. I have given them specific instructions not to even cut open the packing tape on the carton until I get there personally.

Thanks for the info Arty. Good to know there's someone around who knows WTF he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    true... my salomon jig just BARELY fits over pontoons (130), and, doubt it'll fit on the 138.

and to re-emphasize: USE A 3.5 x 7.5 BIT. DO NOT USE A 9mm depth bit. VERY IMPORTANT
    Wow are they that thin of skis? I guess to be light at that size they have to be thinner but how are they stiff at that thickness? Or are you saying it's just safer to handmount with a smaller bit?

Has anyone here skied the KW Megafats? Lotus vs. Megafat would be a very intersting test I bet.

Tyrone, which bindings did you choose? 916?

I may take up your offer on that.
    Just let me know. I'll show you the technique I use (how I measure, etc.), and you're welcome to do the mount at my house, but you get to do the drilling yourself.

Note: I don't have the junior bit that marshal says you need for the Lotus, but I have the 2 regular sizes for adult skis (3.6 and 4.1 IIRC).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by skimasterflex
    Wow are they that thin of skis? I guess to be light at that size they have to be thinner but how are they stiff at that thickness? Or are you saying it's just safer to handmount with a smaller bit?

Has anyone here skied the KW Megafats? Lotus vs. Megafat would be a very intersting test I bet.
    As the Megafat has mucho sidecut, I'd bet they ski much differently and the Lotus will be much superior in crud/windbuff/variable/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skimasterflex
    um... 1mm? not THAT much thinner...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Just an FYI for those not in the know: The Lotus 120 and 138 are totally different skis.

The 120 is a development of the Tabla Rasa theme whereas the 138 is a reverse sidecut ski like a Spatula. The 120 is not just a narrower version of the 138.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    Just an FYI for those not in the know: The Lotus 120 and 138 are totally different skis.

The 120 is a development of the Tabla Rasa theme whereas the 138 is a reverse sidecut ski like a Spatula. The 120 is not just a narrower version of the 138.
    ?????

140/138/139
    ??????

looks like "regular" sidecut to me... (yes, the 120 is not just narrower)
    - A. Solzhenitsyn