Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Paedde’s US Snow Safari 2006 – Trip Report and Pics

Day 1

Flight from Zurich to LA and from LA to Lax Vegas

Snow forecast up north is still very promising and not good at all for Mammoth and Lake Tahoe.

What should I do it’s too far to Jackson but then again I need an urgent relief from SDS.

Day 2

Go up at 7 and checked the forecast again. Still a lot of snow for Jackson Hole and any other resorts up north.

It’s an 1120 km drive and will take about 11 to 12h. It took me about half an hour to decide to skip my plans for Mammoth and instead of that just start driving towards Jackson. I thought about driving past SLC and drive right to the resort tomorrow morning and ski half a day. But after 11h I arrive in Jackson.

Tomorrow skiing with Mark102

Day 3

A good start – First day of skiing and it was a powder day

Official report 6” on top and 4” at the base.

First run towards Cody Bowl and all the way down in Rock Springs Bowl. Some runs along the Gondola followed by Cody Bowl.

Boot to knee deep powder all day. Occasionally even more then that. We could find untracked spots even at the end of the day. Due to the mild temperatures the snow became quite heavy and especially the lower mountain turned into some kind of Sierra Cement.

Lot’s of snow in the forecast for the next few days.

Some pics:

HooBoy! This will be cool.
    Super Skiing Swede Starts Second Six wk Ski Safari ! ! !
    Keep the reports coming, mang! See you in SL soon.

Hi Endless

You know what’s even better then 6 weeks – 8 weeks this year.

Hope to see you soon.

Paedde

Day 4 – Powder Skiing at Jackson Hole

Another powder day

12” reported and it was for sure more in places especially on the top of the mountain.

When we arrive just before 8:30 at the tram there was already a huge line and we decide to take the gondola. Nevertheless we had to wait till the opening at 9am. I just don’t know how all the locals can take the day or at least half a day off to enjoy every single powder day. They got so many since New Year.

Great boot to mainly knee deep powder in the morning. Tested my new fat skies and I’m very happy.

After about lunch time the lower part of the mountain turned once again into sierra cement. We had mild temperature and sunshine almost all day.

Day 5 – Powder Skiing at Jackson Hole

Yes another powder day.

Not as good as yesterday but still boot to knee deep powder.

Official report was only 3” at 6am but it didn’t stop snowing till about 2pm and the conditions improved by the hour. We found a lot of untracked and tracked deep powder inbounds and out of bounds.

For the first time we got the 1st Tram. For once the locals had to work and for sure after about 20 powder days since Christmas they are spoiled. Still a lot of people on the mountain but the powder competition was not as big as yesterday.

Still more snow in the forecast till Sunday and after this it looks like a dry week ahead.

Day 6 Powder Skiing Grand Targhee

And another powder day!

Official report mentioned now new snow since lifts closed and only about 3” within 24h. We didn’t expect too much and as always Grand Foggy upheld its reputation.

For the top it was not easy to find your way to the trees but from there we got once again boot to knee deep powder. Amazing considering that there was now new snow over night. A bit later the fog disappeared and we finally could see the whole mountain and all the untracked powder from yesterday. We had so much fun and the snow quality was even better then at Jackson. After lunchtime we went to the very left side of the resort and again untracked, light tracked and tracked powder all afternoon.

As I mentioned last year this resort need fresh powder to keep me happy and busy. Once again this was the case and I would ski it again anytime on a powder day.

Did I mention the non existing lines all day….

Day 7 Powder Skiing Jackson Hole Day

Yet another powder day!

Offical report 5” but sure as always this was only half the true. We made it to the second tram and from the top we went right away into Rock Spring Bowl. First Tracks for the upper part of the mountain in boot to knee deep powder.

All day long we enjoyed great powder and only the very strong wind created some trouble. Around lunchtime more then half the resort has been shut down. Thunder, Sublette, Tram, Rendez Vous down due to wind. Around 2pm the situation improved and we could continue to enjoy the great day.

Once again I can believe how many local can just take the day off to enjoy the powder. The lines where just too long all day. At least 10min at the Thunder, 3 to 4 trams etc. For sure with the amazing snow pack Jackson is for sure one of the best resorts but it is too busy and the U$ 70 day pass is by far to expensive considering the time you spend waiting for the tram or the gondola.

Tomorrow time to move to another place.

Day 8 Travel from Jackson Hole to Bozeman

4h drive on very icy roads at times.

Tomorrow Big Sky

Day 9 Powder Skiing Big Sky

Another great powder day!

Official report 4” but as always it was more then that. Boot deep powder all day long. Even at the end of the day we found lots of light tracked and untracked powder. Considering it was a Sunday this resort was deserted. No lines all day with the exception of the tram where we had to wait 25min.

We spend all morning in the area of the “Challenger Chair” and after lunch we went to the Peak of Lone Mountain. Just before the lifts closed we made it to the “Andesite Mountain” and had one run down to the “Thunder Wolf Chair”

One day is for sure not enough to rate this resort but its good enough to have a first impression. Without the Lone Mountain Tram there isn’t much to be excited about. There are some black and double black runs but I think only the tram can make this mountain interesting for experts. On the other side this resorts is highly recommended for beginner and intermediate skier and boarder. We didn’t ski Moonlight yet but even without this it will keep you busy for some days.

Tomorrow we are going to Moonlight.

Day 10 Skiing Moonlight Basin

Been there – done that.

No new snow overnight.

We got some a discounted day pass of only U$ 28 (usually 40). It was very windy and very cold on the lower part of the mountain. Right after the first run we didn’t really like the resort. Lot’s of flat stuff as well as lot’s of trees where you can’t ski. It was so cold that we had to have a break after just one hour. After few more runs lunch break followed by two more rides to the very top and back to Bozeman. If you buy the Lone Peak Pass which is U$ 78 you can ski Big Sky and Moonlight but this is by far too expensive considering the time you spend to get from Moonlight Base to the Peak incl. the waiting time at the tram. There’s some serious hiking from the top of Moonlight but conditions where just not good enough to do so.

Lines – they don’t even know what that means. Just not existing not on weekdays and not on weekends. According to some locals it’s just not possible to have any.

If I come back I would definitely ski Big Sky.

Day 11 Travel from Bozeman to Whitefish

5.5h easy drive

Tomorrow skiing Big Mountain

Day 12 Skiing Big Mountain Day 1

Not a real powder day but great skiing!

First we went right up to the top of the mountain and from there first run down “Elefants Graveyard” What a surprise to find some powder in there. Second run down “Bighorn” and even more powder. We had light tracked and tracked powder all day and even untracked powder at times.

This resort is much better then expected. Vast amount of tree skiing unfortunately some of it a bit tight. Steep to very steep gladed runs, cliffs, and wide open runs. Grooming to perfection all over the mountain.

A friend of mine complained about my “not so family friendly” report and that I should take that aspect more into account. Well I’ll try to do my best. This resort is for sure great for any kind of skier and boarder. Beginner and intermediates are going to find groomed runs as long as 5.3km.

It started to snow at 11am on the back side of the mountain and around 2pm in the village. Not the big dump we would like to have but with some luck an inch or two.

We did enjoy that day a lot and decided to stay longer then planned.

Day 13 Skiing Big Mountain Day 2

Great skiing on a great mountain!

What scenery when there’s blue sky! It was breathtaking! We took it easy and had a lot of time to take some nice pictures. Just like yesterday we found light tracked and tracked powder almost all day. The grooming was once again 10 outta 10.

Just too bad that we didn’t go to “The Back 9” till about 3pm. Lots of untracked powder but not time to do it again.

We both like this mountain a lot. It’s too bad that only the upper part of the mountain is really challenging and you always have to use the long runs back to the base. It’s more like 1/3 great skiing and then 2/3 cruising on groomed runs.

No skiing tomorrow. Forecast for next week is looking good but eventually we have to drive back to SLC instead of going towards Mt. Baker.

Day 14 Travel from Big Mountain to Schweitzer Mountain

Easy 4h drive on US 93, US2 and US95 (Note: Don’t take US56 stay on US2 west)

Day 15 Skiing Schweitzer Mountain Day1

What a big surprise!

We spend the first two hours inbounds and skied a few of the double blacks. Very good snow conditions considering there wasn’t any new snow for a week. Occasionally a few turns in powder but nothing to be to excited about. The weather and the view made it special anyway. Around 11am we decided to go backcountry and this decision turned the day into an excellent skiing day. Hard to believe but even after a week without new snow we found untracked and light tracked powder just behind he area boundaries. Boot deep and steep for the upper part followed by a short walk and some traversing. It was so good that we had to do it again and again. Already after the first time we knew that this was too good to leave the resort after just one day. Now guess what…. Tomorrow we are going to ski this backcountry part of the mountain all day long.

Day 16 Skiing Schweitzer Mountain Day2

Powder skiing 8 days after last new snow.

After yesterdays boot deep powder runs in the backcountry we knew exactly what do to today. For the very beginning we went back to the same spot and skied laps all day long. It takes one hours to do one lap. First untracked powder followed by a short traverse, a few minutes easy hiking, traverse again, powder turns, traverse and about a minute on a groomed run back to the chair. Sounds like a lot of work for powder turns but be assured if we had the time we would stay one more day and do it again and again.

Forecast for SLC is looking very good Wednesday till the end of the week. Now guess in which direction we are driving tomorrow.

No skiing next two days.

Pics to all resorts: http://community.webshots.com/album/265445674LRYYSq

Day 17 Travel from Schweitzer Mountain to Idaho Falls

8.5h driving time. The first 3h where terrible on icy and snow covered roads.

We didn’t have the intention to drive to SLC in one day due to the forecast. Utah had no snow in the forecast but Jackson and Grand Targhee at least a few inches. We decided to stay in Idaho Falls, check the forecast at 6am and in case of 8”+ go to Targhee or Jackson for the day.

Day 18 Travel from Idaho Falls to Salt Lake City

Only a few inches for Jackson and a trace for Grand Targhee. Not good enough to go there for the day.

3h driving time to SLC. Shopping, get discounted tickets and take it easy.

Tomorrow skiing. Decision based on 6am snow reports.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by paedde

Nice pic
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Day 19 Skiing Solitude – Powder but not a powder day

The few inches on the groomed runs where very nice. Other then that off piste skiing was dust on crust. No fun but the few peoples on the hill left enough snow on the groomed runs to keep us busy on day. Not bad at all and the non existing lines are just great. At 8:45 just 18 cars in the parking lot.

I got the same impression like last year. Great resort on a powder day.

Day 20 Powder skiing Snowbasin

Not epic but good

11” in 24h and 17” in 48h

We planned to ski Snowbird but yesterdays forecast was once again to optimistic for the Cottonwood resorts.

We expected and epic powder day but already the first run was far from being epic. Considering the low temperatures I have no explanation but this stuff was far from being light. The south facing runs had some light stuff to offer but you hit the old crust all the time. On all the other runs we didn’t feel the old crust but the snow was rather heavy and challenging to ski.

Compared with last year the resort seemed to be busier but we never had to wait at all.

Just like last year I really like this resort and there is still enough light tracked and untracked powder for tomorrow.
    Today we had the pleasure to ski with endlessseaons and some members of this board. Too bad that I can't remember the names the use on the board.

[IMG]Day 19 Skiing Solitude – Powder but not a powder day[/IMG]

YES.

I want an 8 week vacation.

Rocking with the socks off.

Day 21 Powder skiing Snowbasin Day 2

Even better then yesterday!

Another great powder day with no crowds. It was yesterday as well as today more busy then last year but this will probably be related to president’s weekend.

We started at the same spot where we stopped yesterday and it was even better. The snow was not as heavy and visibility just perfect. We did spend most of the day in the “Strawberry” area and got tracked, light tracked and untracked powder all day.

and two more

didn't i see that you were hoping to ski 'the bowl', montana snowbowl to be specific? its the mountain i grew up on and still my favorite (its like a first love) even though i ski alta/bird and brighton these days.
    I can't wait to drive back up there and revisit my childhood. be sure and find a local. if you're around i'm heading there tomorrow night for the next two days.
    I hear its a good season for them so check it out! always a bit of a relief from the resorts...

nice TR.
    you're here as well ?
    i thought as much.

share it with us (at www.freeskiforum.de ..... we left .com behind and most of the new school kids as well ) too.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Zula
    didn't i see that you were hoping to ski 'the bowl', montana snowbowl to be specific? its the mountain i grew up on and still my favorite (its like a first love) even though i ski alta/bird and brighton these days.
    I can't wait to drive back up there and revisit my childhood. be sure and find a local. if you're around i'm heading there tomorrow night for the next two days.
    I hear its a good season for them so check it out! always a bit of a relief from the resorts...
    Too early for me:

(20 – 26th of February)

Monday SLC to Bozeman
    Tuesday Skiing Big Sky or Bridger Bowl
    Wednesday Skiing Bridger or Big Sky
    Thursday Bozeman to Missoula or Silver Mt. depending on snow forecast (8”+ skiing no travel)
    Friday Skiing Montana Snowbowl or Silver Mountain
    Saturday or Sunday Skiing 49 North

Patrick,

Be warned that 49 North is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (a lot more than Big Mountain). But could be a good stop if you are going to Red after, about a 2 hr drive. Watch for the deers on the road.

I am still hoping for week of March 10th...

Steve

Paedde,

I hope you and Mark are partaking of that overnight 8" up there this morning. Wish I could join you.
    Here's some fun pics of our 49 Degrees North experience. It's the only place I've ever been rope-evacuated. I'm pretty sure we broke the chairlift. http://www.skistreak.com/2003/summit/

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason
    Paedde,

I hope you and Mark are partaking of that overnight 8" up there this morning. Wish I could join you.
    Here's some fun pics of our 49 Degrees North experience. It's the only place I've ever been rope-evacuated. I'm pretty sure we broke the chairlift. http://www.skistreak.com/2003/summit/
    It was great today. Report and pics very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sculhane
    Patrick,

Be warned that 49 North is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (a lot more than Big Mountain). But could be a good stop if you are going to Red after, about a 2 hr drive. Watch for the deers on the road.

I am still hoping for week of March 10th...

Steve
    Thanks for the warning!

Hope you can make it in March.

Day 23 Powder skiing Solitude

What a fantastic day!

7” over night and 11” in 24h. They forecasted another 4-8” till lunch time but we didn’t get more then one.

The whole resort was open right from the start. Due to Sunday and President’s weekend there where a few more cars in the parking lot.

Boot deep powder to start and after this it just became better and better. After a few runs we knew where to find the deepest and lightest powder and spend all day doing laps in Honeycomb. Boot and sometimes knee deep light powder made this day one of the best in a long time and for sure a special one for Mark. He had to leave today right after skiing. Not bad to have an almost epic powder day just before a 24h trip home. This remains me a lot about my last day last year.

and one more

Nice, Paedde. I think there are a few additional Snowbasin photos you might want to see at this link (these are some of the shots that GT took with that monstrosity he was carrying around on his neck) http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47041

......you know...it's the ho-hum usual stuff from GT, like this one:

Great pic!

Day 24 Travel from Salt Lake City to Bozeman

420 miles and 6h net driving.

Easy drive only around Yellowstone a few icy sections.

Tomorrow Bridger or Big Sky. According to the forecast most probably not a powder day. If forecast is right I probably need to go towards Idaho on Wednesday right after skiing.

Epic! Keep up the good work. This should be the longest TR ever.

If I can get to a point in my life where I can take a trip like this, even just once, I think I will be happy with my accomplishments.

Edit: for request for Big Sky pictures as I will be making my first trip up there in 2 weeks and am getting stoked
    On snow days for 05/06: 43