Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Glad you're ok, that's a hell of a story...
    It looks like it started snowing for your descent. Was it snowing hard? It looks like it from the pic of your highpoint, but then it looks like it let up for the rest of the descent?
    I would imagine it wouldn't take much new snow to start sloughs on the steep feeder gullies around that thing... just curious how much new snow you think had fallen when you got hit?

Good read man. I got a sick feeling this morning when I called the avy report and they mentioned someone taking a ride in the Y. Was hoping is wasn't you guys but unfortunately it was. Super glad that it looks like nothing more than a scare/learning experience and a bruised quad (hopefully). Feels wierd knowing I could have easily been up there with you guys. Heal up fast dude.

i really want to thank you for sharing your story. it is important to hear these kinds of incidents as they create awareness and allow others to learn some lessons (i.e., what could have been done differently or noticed, perhaps). unfortunately, there is no equivalent of "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" for skiing.

Actually, there is an equivalent for "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" for skiing. It is called "The Snowy Torrents", and you can purchase it through the Colorado Geological Survey. It discusses weather conditions prior to accidents, group experience and dynamics, what failed in the snowpack, etc. Really, really good book to learn from others' mistakes, I probably took as much out of it in some ways as I did "Snow Sense".

Thanks for the story, X, I'm glad you're mostly OK. And thanks to everybody for not 2nd guessing him or his decisions

glad your ok and glad you played by the rules skiing from safe zone to safe zone ne at a time, otherwise there would have been 2 people that had chances f bouncing off rocks instead of just one
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Glad you made it out okay dude, but thanks alot for taking the time to write that report up. Its a good thing to talk about what happened...ill definitley keep my eyes open more for that sort of thing now.,

Thanks for posting...
    ... I've been thinking about hiking up the backside of bridger to the ridge because its right outside my neighborhood. When I was running today, I was checking the route out and your post came to mind, the route I was thinking about taking wouldn't be so smart. Even though the danger up there is probably low, I'm gonna have what happened you in the back of my mind and be sure to stay in safe zones.

First of all, thanks to Xover for posting this...talking to both he and DTM last night was pretty somber to say the least. They were both just not themselves.

One of the worst feelings I had yesterday was pacing back and forth in my apartment because DTM was almost 2 hours late. We had plans for last night, so i knew he'd be home by 3pm. At 3:30 I was obviously worried, called him, no answer, called again right to voicemail, called again, no answer. By 4:15 I was pretty much a mess because this was SO not like he or Xover to not call. We had to leave at 4:30 to make it to our destination that night and nothing. No phone call, no idea what was going on.

I called Natty Dread in a panic cry, but he didn't answer...as soon as his voicemail came on, DTM was on the other line calling. THANK YOU DEAR LORD!!!!

DTM was shaken, and really quiet and said he was sorry. I just said I'm so glad you guys are ok and that I loved him so much. I asked if Xover was really OK, he said maybe.

I could go on, but that was one of the sickest feelings I've had in a long time. Please be careful out there everyone, because you just never know what might happen.

And X-no apologies needed, I'm so glad you're ok. Thanks for chatting with me last night.
    Last edited by altachic; 01-29-2006 at 08:03 PM.
    you sketchy character, you

Thumbs up

Thanks cross for posting your gripping experience. I learn a lot more from your first hand experience, than some sterile book on avalanche awareness. I've seen that line before and my thoughts about that line have changed greatly. Thanks mang. I'm glad you two will be out there sharing more TR's to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead

Glad you're ok Xover. And I think talking about it will save lives in the future.
    What TH said!!!

Hey M, that was cutting it too close. I'm really glad you're still with us.

Great pics and write up.

I wouldn't have had to worry about the sluff, cause the booting it up 3000 feet would have killed me already.

Heal quick and give your daughter some extra time and attention.

Your friend, Doc
    I want a 6" travel 20lb MTB. I found the 20lb MTB, but only good for riders under 87 pounds.

Glad both of you came out (relatively) unscathed, M&D.

Holy shit man, I heard about your ride this morning but didn't realize how big it was. That was a spooky read. Glad you are both ok and I hope the knee is good. Heal up that leg and get your shit back together, you still have some gnar to show.
    Donny, you're out of your element!

Matt,

I'm very glad you're OK after what was doubtless a harrowing experience, and also glad you've taken the time to share it with us, 'cause it really does help the maggot collective as a whole.

From this post about developments in the field of avalanche analysis and awareness:

Bruce Jamieson did a wonderful job of presenting on the evolution of a risk and injury control program that he and his affiliates have been working on with the UofC Snow Science program. Lots of good ideas and thought-provoking challenges. Particularly enjoyed his rational for developing a reporting culture. This would be of particular interest to many subscribers to TTips--his point being that until there is a reporting culture, we will not be able to actually learn what we could from "near misses" and "incidents."

Ian McCammon did his usual fine work with heuristic traps. He also showed a new way of understanding case data using a format for analysis that parallels incidents to create reliable and usable understandings--a "common" lesson which, as he suggested, is best reduced to stories, analogies, and metaphors (SAM) for passing on to students.

Scary read, man. Glad you're still with us and pretty much in one piece.

I do have a question about avalungs, though - I've never heard of somebody remembering to put the thing in their mouth when the shit starts flying. It seems that it's pretty much useless unless you ski with it in your mouth. What's the consensus on that?

X - your tr's are awesome-thanks , and I'm happy that you guys came away unharmed.

when you feel better, think about why it happened ( did you not properly assess the snowpack? etc) and share that as well

most of us jongs would appreciate it

X-
    In all seriousness, THANK YOU for sharing. As Sphinx stated, the first thought that came to mind was "chilling read." Very well spoken & thought out. This is not dickwaving. There is always a lesson to learn and I appreciate your honesty & candid feedback. We're in the midst of a very high avy cycle in the Cascades- yesterday had a natural slide hit I-90 and a partial car burial. I know this read will be in the back of my head when I go out touring next time.

I'm glad you are okay. Stay safe out there buddy, and thanks for sharing.

Geez X. That was quite the read. I'm sick right now thinking what might of happened to you or DTM. Glad to hear you guys are both well. And by well--I mean alive. Take it as easy as you need to for a little while. You'll be back in no time.
    The Griz

Damn dude. Thanks for the honest telling and super glad both of you are OK. Sounds a lot like a slough I got caught in at Baker a few years ago, scary shit. Keep safe mang and I'll see ya out there soon.

Chilling stuff indeed. Glad you made it out alive.

Thanks for sharing.

Good to hear you're ok.

Xover, words can't do this justice. I'm glad you're still around. Thanks for sharing this report with us, it's a great reminder for all of us to be careful out there and try to think of all the angles. It's kinda scary. You think of all you can, take great care, but it's that one thing you didn't consider or one thing you missed that seems to get you. Here's hoping you heal up quick and both you and DTM can go slay some Alta blower real soon.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

WOW. I actually said that out loud, with my wife asleep, who barely reacted with a murfled...'Hunh? Wah?"
    I guess this threw a "? " on Taylor tomorrow, but different circumstances/conditions...thanks for the TR, sobering, in a good way.
    I am still going to go BC, but with a very alert head on, after all the slough-nanigans this year....glad you are OK.

Now my boy goes like a house on fire
    He’ll never burn out and he’ll never retire

And I remember when I used to think like that
    When I was young and the world was flat

But I’m forty some years old now and man I don’t care
    All I want now is just a comfortable chair
    And to sell all my stock
    And live on the coast
    I don’t believe in heaven
    But I still believe in ghosts.
    Keep up the good fight brother.
    Learn well and stay safe.
    That place and this place wouldn't be the same without you.
    now I gotta explain to my assitanr why I have tears in my eyes on Monday morning.

'Cause your painting by numbers
    connecting the dots
    they don't have to tell you
    you don't call the shots

Thanks for posting Xover.
    Glad you’re ok!
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Really intense and honest, Xover, that takes courage. I'm glad you're still with us.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.