Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by homerjay
    edit- and MOST people like to tele on skis shorter and softer than what they'd alpine on.
    Not maggots by god!

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

In case you are looking for that review of the 4frnt MSP

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21017
    "Hurry up and finish your wine so we can go get us some milkshakes"

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    done, crystal ships come in 180cm, so for EC, thats about right... yeah?
    The 160cm is the original EC tree slayer.
    The 180 was supposed to be for the West, but its kinda been a flop from what I hear, but I have no personal experience on the 180.

Personally, I dont think this ski makes sense out west. Too much sidecut for big mountain fun.
    For out west, any of the fat long skis in 25-40M radius would be better.
    . . .

have you been on 'em? seen 'em, kinda silly, IMHO, but added non-the less
    Haven't been on 'em, but I've been seeing 'em quite a bit around here. Yeah, they seem a little ridiculous at 140 under foot.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit
    Haven't been on 'em, but I've been seeing 'em quite a bit around here. Yeah, they seem a little ridiculous at 140 under foot.
    I saw a pair in the lift line on Sunday, wierd to see a ski that makes my gotamas look insignificant.

added.
    verdict? reverand? havoc?
    Maybe in the "Wow, more midfats " category. Sure, they're like ok and all, but there are quite a few skis out there that I'd rather see my friends use.
    self unemployed?

The Atomic 10-18 binders with their ability to move back/forward, 916ish predictability, safety and lack of prerelease, lockability of upward release, standard brakes (107) that even fit Tabla Rasas at 120.

Even if I wasn't to ski Atomics anymore I'd still be on those binders now; that from a zr18 -> 916/920 background. The Atomic 614s and below should be kept of the list though...
    self unemployed?

The Karma is a skinny ski? 87 under foot is skinny now?

Quote Originally Posted by nutcase
    The Karma is a skinny ski? 87 under foot is skinny now?
    Yes.

80-95 = skinny
    96-110 = midfat
    111+ = fat

Green is the new black.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Oh and marshal, you should add MSL's to complete the K2 triple crown of old school skinnys.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

This thread should be made sticky in Tech Talk.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    80-95 = skinny
    96-110 = midfat
    111+ = fat
    msl added

64-79 carving skis
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Both of these might go into softer skis. They're mid-fattish but versatile. They also take mounts very well.

Head Mad Trix Mojo.

Dynastar Inspired by Nobis.

Try this web site... www.exoticskis.com links you to all the websites

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

LBF/BIG/INspired already up.

write something about the mojos and i'll put it up.
    Thanks - duh. Reviewer is 165 lbs and also skis a PR, Tanker and used to ski XXXs

Mad Trix Mojos can be thought of as a stiffer Pocket Rocket but combining the turning manners of the PR with a bit more straight line stability and edge hold. Not as comfortably at high speed as say a Tanker or a B3 or XXX but still pretty good in the 186 length. For me its a medium stiff ski. Its a softish ski for 200+ pounders. Can do medium and long radius turns. Tough as nails; I've seen them skied with up to 6 previous mounts without failure as shop demos.

Not too heavy also so pretty decent for touring.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau
    Mad Trix Mojos can be thought of as a stiffer Pocket Rocket but combining the turning manners of the PR with a bit more straight line stability and edge hold. Not as comfortably at high speed as say a Tanker or a B3 or XXX but still pretty good in the 186 length. For me its a medium stiff ski. Its a softish ski for 200+ pounders. Can do medium and long radius turns. Tough as nails; I've seen them skied with up to 6 previous mounts without failure as shop demos.

Not too heavy also so pretty decent for touring.
    Aggreed. Have a couple friends skiing them with Freerides for rando/steepish stuff. One of the better skis with that width and a twin.
    self unemployed?

What about the Atomic Powder Plus?

Maybe make a note of which skis are discontinued, not available in stores, look for them on ebay.

spatulas, g4's, etc.

also rossi axiom in the quiver skis

Another vote for Mojo 90 (@ 186cm)

Medium stiff is my guess too (I'm around 6", 182 pounds). (Much) stiffer than PR's, softer (doh!) that 103's. I'd say significantly stiffer than -05 Pistols or e.g. -03/04 Dynastar Bigs (the white ones)...or at least they feel so - more hard snow grip and carvability. The skis have some "pop" on them but you can still feel you're skiing Heads, they have that characteristic damp feeling on them (owners of Head skis know this, I'm sure)

Great skis for the skier who likes to carve groomers, ski all-mountain, occasional pow/softer snow, and still visits park now and then, and actually try some fakie stuff there too. Great if you're not willing to have a large quiver of skis (for some reason).

Recommended mounting mark is quite forward...but can't comment that too much cause I've only skied those on spring conditions: hard and soft groomers, slushy bumbs, corn, and soft park hits (which they killed by the way )

Some might dislike the sidecut. I loved it in on wide open groomers, railing gs turns. I'll update if/when I'll get some experience on steeper stuff...the sidecut is probably not optimal for steeper terrain? (edit: but I guess it's ok there too, considering Telepath's comment)
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 12-09-2005 at 06:37 AM.

On categories; maybe a specific one for touring. Trab freerando (now in narrowskis) and all the bros would be obvious members. Probably a lot of the dp skis too, considering their light weight (that would be Wailer 105, 95, Cassiar 80). Also Voile carbon surf.
    All work and no play, ... you know...

As for Tele-binders, you could modify Voile HW's description to "neutral R8, with G3 feel" or something. As both R8 and HW share the construction, but HW has it's pivot-point slightly more foward making it "neutral".

HW 3-Pin and R8 are about equally "active". G3's are neutral and sloppy, but a decent binder.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Quote Originally Posted by KANUTTEN
    On categories; maybe a specific one for touring. Trab freerando (now in narrowskis) and all the bros would be obvious members. Probably a lot of the dp skis too, considering their light weight (that would be Wailer 105, 95, Cassiar 80). Also Voile carbon surf.
    Shuksan

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

dynafits? Hrm

I have heard mixed reviews on the dynafit bindings. They seem to clog up with ice very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by KANUTTEN
    Note 2;
    k2 apache chief could be added to soft fatties,
    X2. More of a medium flex than soft, but definitely softer than the skis in the "stiff" category. Far stiffer than the Made'n/Kahuna, or the Seth Pistol/ Vicious.

Also add the K2 Phat Luv for a women's powder ski.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by sporkbunny
    I have heard mixed reviews on the dynafit bindings. They seem to clog up with ice very easily.
    Unclog = super easy. Only problem if stepping in and out all day. More reliable than the other touring bindings and they weigh a whole lot less. Boot availability is the heel, but getting better.
    Elvis has left the building