04/05 Karma vs 04/05 Scratch BC? which one...

I have a buddy that has 8+ pairs of skis, and he is wanting to unload a couple of them. I was in the market for new skis, so this worked out perfectly. So I'm not really shopping around for anything else b/c of the good prices being offered.

What I'm wondering is, which ski will be better for me.

ME:

5'9"
    170lbs

Where I ski:

Western Canada (Whitewater, and Sun Peaks to be specific)

What I ski?

powder, crud, trees, and bumpd. Only time I really ski groomers is when I'm ripping down to the chair, to get back up.

Skiing level:

I'd say expert. Will ski anything thrown at me.

So now the Skis:

04/05) Karma: 177 cm [119-87-111]
    (04/05) scratch bc: 176 [can't find the 176cm dimensions. they are thinner than the 182 @ [122-90-115] though.

Which of these skis would you recommend?
    what are the pro's and con's of each ski when compared to eachother.

thanks for any help

matt

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche
    Will ski anything thrown at me.
    Anything? Pretty strong words, JONG!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero
    Anything? Pretty strong words, JONG!
    It really isn't plausible to throw anything that would be worth skiing.

Go with the Karmas

use the seach function, FOOH!

The Karma is a better ski, IMO. It's stiffer, more durable and holds a better edge on firm snow. The Scratch has a bigger footprint and might float you a little better.
    Old's Cool.

Karma and another fatter ski for pow days.

I've been researching all morning. I just wanted a direct comparison between the two.

With all the research I've done, I think the Mantra would be perfect for me. too bad I don't have a lot of kitty to spend. so the karma is probably the way i'll go.

thanks for the replies you guys.

if any body else has opinions, I'd like to hear them.

Karma won't float nearly as well as the BC, and the BC is supposed to be stiffer this year than past years. As a former Karma owner I would go with the Rossi's for the extra width.

Edit-I should pay more attention.
    Last edited by robokill1981; 10-05-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robokill1981
    Karma won't float nearly as well as the BC, and the BC is supposed to be stiffer this year than past years. As a former Karma owner I would go with the Rossi's for the extra width.
    The BC he's talking about is 90 in the waist, so float will be about the same as the Karma's
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

I have a set of older Scratch BC's and I find them to be too soft. They are ok for lighter dry pow, but in heavier pow or stuff that might be mixed with some crust I think they have too much tip deflection and will tend to hook up.

If the Karma is a bit stiffer, I'd go with that.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman
    I have a set of older Scratch BC's and I find them to be too soft. They are ok for lighter dry pow, but in heavier pow or stuff that might be mixed with some crust I think they have too much tip deflection and will tend to hook up.
    I had the original shiny black naked lady ones in a 188 until someone kind person decided to relieve me of them at Jay Peak a couple years ago (fucker). I liked them, but they were pretty floppy.

I'm assuming that this will be your only ski? If you were on the east coast I'd go with the Karma, but you're not, so go for something fatter and beefier.
    The Mantra or Explosive would be a better choice.
    Old's Cool.

Here's a good rule of thumb...... Rossi vs. Volkl in any category: Volkl wins.

Quote Originally Posted by yooper
    Here's a good rule of thumb...... Rossi vs. Volkl in any category: Volkl wins.
    This has been my experience in the past, but the new Scatch BCs are stiff and seem nice.

also another note,

the 176 scratch's are not as fat as the 182's. I believe there are roughly 85mm at the waist. i'm having a hell of a time finding the dimensions though.

yes, this would be my only ski.

I almost want both :S.......could get two pairs of brand new/new skis w/ bindings (scratch's used once in 60 cm fluff) for under a $1000 CDN. I wish I had more kitty.

but I agree, if he had the mantra's in there...i wouldn't think twice about buying them.

maybe I'll ask if I can demo the scratch bc's this winter, as he is sending them upto me w/ the karma's. Karmas are unmounted, so I'd have to buy them, then mount the bindings he is including in the sale, in order to test them. But the scratch's already have bindings mounted, so they'd be easy to test. If I do get the chance to do that, i'll let you know how it goes.

I'm fairly aggressive when I ski, so I do not need a softer ski; i don't think
    Last edited by dapesche; 10-05-2005 at 03:41 PM.