Check Out Our Shop

Thread: Salomon Qst X

Salomon Qst X

Any maggot on snow betta on these? Ski essentials had a decent video including them; interested on takes from agressive skiers that don’t ski super upright/centered though.

I fondled a pair in Banff. I've got a pair of 195 qst 118 and a 194 blank. Seem like a blend between the two, flexed nicely. I'm definitely interested.

Seems like a totally different ski than the Blank, 25m radius and all.
    Ski Essentials are good guys, I enjoy their reviews.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    I fondled a pair in Banff. I've got a pair of 195 qst 118 and a 194 blank. Seem like a blend between the two, flexed nicely. I'm definitely interested.
    Buddy of mine is a Salomon athlete and got a pair in February. He basically said they’re good combo of the 118 and Blank, but more towards the 118. He does rip upright and centered though

The dimensions are basically a couple mm off the 118. The early rise and trail ride are significant subdued from the last 118. I think they would be a fun soft snow ski

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    I fondled a pair in Banff. I've got a pair of 195 qst 118 and a 194 blank. Seem like a blend between the two, flexed nicely.
    yeah - they do not seem like much of a combo of the two - more like echofying qst 118s.

I know that Salomon reps point out how different the qst x is to the previous qst 118, but outside of construction the differences seems to be pretty negliable. The rocker lines are similar enough to make it seem like they are pressed in the same mold outside of the very tips - the Xs have the qst 106 kink at he very end, the old 118s do not no?

Isn’t it basically just a tour version of the QST118 all the Salomon athletes have been skiing with blank graphics for a few years?

Interesting video. Seems like just a wider version of the Echo 106, i.e. a lightweight powder ski, less damp but more poppy than the regular QST line. I really dig the Echo 106 after three days on them in a variety of resort conditions, so I am curious to try the X as part of a general move away from heavy skis.

I had three runs on the QST X during a spring demo. Much more QST118 DNA than anything else despite the layup of echo 106 and other tweaks. Respectfully, this ski was a miss for me. Despite skiing it in fresh snow conditions, I could never find a reason why I would choose this over anything from any other brand in the ~11x bruiser category or the 120+ powder segment. IMO this ski was pretty dead and I could not get it to come to life with any turn shape, terrain, or snow condition. It also did not inspire the confidence in soft snow of the best 120+ skis out there so I don't see how Salomon will gain market share with the intended western Canadian heli/cat services with this ski.

From a marketing perspective, I'm surprised it landed in the same family. Not the friendly accessible QST 106, or the turny easy to ski QST Blank (Wailer 112/Soul 7). Really a different character than the rest of the lineup.

Interesting. I can see it getting a little deflected in chop given the weight and taper but surprised about the turn shape in fresh snow. Do you mean it doesn’t want to arc a turn but rather release/smear when you give it input in fresh?