Fatality near Lost Trail Pass MT 3/12/2024

"We are saddened to report an avalanche fatality near Lost Trail Pass in the Bitterroot zone. On Tuesday, March 12th, 2024, a group of backcountry skiers triggered an avalanche on a north aspect at around 8000 ft. One of the skiers was caught and did not survive. Our deepest condolences go out to the family, friends, and community affected by this tragic event.
    Forecasters from the West Central Montana Avalanche Center visited the accident site on Wednesday, March 13th, 2024. The avalanche was approximately 250 feet wide and 3 feet deep and failed on a buried persistent weak layer. A preliminary report is available at Missoulaavalanche.org."
    https://missoulaavalanche.org/2024/0...Uj83F-3Y1KLJV0

https://snowbrains.com/park-city-ut-...rail-ski-area/
    Park City, UT, Man Killed in Montana Avalanche Near Lost Trail Ski Area
    "A Park City man, David Macfarlane, 64, died in an avalanche near Lost Trail Ski Area in Montana on Tuesday, according to the Ravalli County Sheriff’s office. The incident occurred in southern Ravalli County, with a group of skiers from Utah witnessing the event.

Despite their efforts and a satellite device call for help, Macfarlane succumbed to his injuries before assistance arrived. Agencies responding included the Ravalli County Sheriff’s Office, Ravalli County Search and Rescue, and Two Bear Air from Flathead County."

Only 250' wide and 3' deep. God damn. Be careful out there.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Fuck dude. This aspect is a few hundred yards from top shack of L&C. Lapped this steady last year. Scary stuff looking back.

Vibes to victim, loved ones, and responders.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Only 250' wide and 3' deep. God damn. Be careful out there.
    Seems pretty big to me.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Seems pretty big to me.
    That’s what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Seems pretty big to me.
    I was thinking sarcasm.
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)

This hits home. David was a friend of my moms and her husband. Really nice guy. RIP David.

So sorry for your loss.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    This hits home. David was a friend of my moms and her husband. Really nice guy. RIP David.

Sorry to hear. This seasons PWL is one for the ages.

Monday, March 18, 2024

Gigantic avalanches breaking in southwest Montana

Unusually large avalanches have been raking the backcountry of southwestern Montana, the biggest one on Henderson Mountain near Cooke City stretching 2,000 feet wide and breaking 10 feet deep.
    Big avalanches

“That is a HUGE slide, especially for one that was human triggered,” wrote Ian Hoyer, of the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center, in his March 8 forecast. “Thankfully, remarkably, the rider wasn’t caught,” although the snowmobiler was partially buried.

Amazingly, no one has been killed this winter by a slide in the region despite the hair-trigger snowpack, but that hasn’t stopped avalanche forecasters from worrying.

“The magnitude of the slides makes my stomach turn,” wrote avalanche forecaster Dave Zinn on Tuesday.

“Things really fell apart about 10 days ago,” said the center’s Alex Marienthal.

That’s when heavy snowfall — about 9 to 10 feet in some places — stacked up. Strong winds helped create large cornices that were also stressed by the additional snow weight. Even more unusual, slides began occurring on lower angled slopes where people had been able to safely travel in the past and some slides were being triggered from far away.

“Cooke City is a place that almost every year impresses us, or surprises us a little,” Marienthal said. “A place with that many big mountains and avalanche terrain and people, there’s just a lot going on there.”

The weak layer of snow dates back to December and early January, Marienthal said. Dry, cold snow and weather meant the snow didn’t adhere to the surface, even when milder weather swept through the valleys.

“We always have weak snow to some extent,” Marienthal said. “We always see some activity here and there, but to have it on almost every mountain … and going out so wide is because the weak layer has stayed so intact and continuous.”

In his March 11 report, Marienthal wrote is was “possibly the most widespread large avalanche cycle” he has ever seen with avalanche danger across a large area rated “considerable.”

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I was thinking 250 is on the small side, no? Medium sized? 2,000' and 10' deep; now that's a fucking monster. Yikes!
    Anyway, sorry, 2funky, and stay safe out there, everyone. Fucked up snowpack year, obviously.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Will there be a follow up report or is this just outside of anyone's zone of responsibility?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I was wondering if this was a side country excursion. Have a buddy who patrols there.

Either that or possibly out of the Yurt? https://wildernessriver.com/winter-y...tateline-yurt/

I am guessing the Bitter-root Center should post a follow up? Maybe?

https://missoulaavalanche.org/2024/0...cident-report/
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"