Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I have a couple buddies who just came back from Pulseline (actually, may still be there...not sure). It's legit by all reports and it's been some great days. Weather and snow, stability look good for them and they're having a blast. Both are experienced mechanized skier/boarder and not their first trip to AK. From that, I'm thinking this is a great op with a good time in store for whoever grabs this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I’m pretty good at following directions
    That's very important to do and all you need skill-wise at a minimum. Always good though to take some classes like the online KBYG classes, so you have some context on why the guide is adamant on you following his directions precisely. And if the guide gets buried yer not helpless.

https://www.kbyg.org/

They will do a briefing before you fly on how to use avie gear, btw.

And DTM, I'm stoked for you!

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Just guessing here. But I’m assuming they suggest something with camber as they’ve had too many experiences of people showing up with full reverse skis that they’ve never skied and struggling. I’m also positive they have tons of experience dealing with people with no avi gear/knowledge experience. I was really close to booking this, had a rental car and airplane ticket. Decided to go to Haines instead. I’m taking 196 and 186 OG renegades.
    I’d take my 196 Renegades anywhere there’s soft snow

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Don't forget your renegades and a ski for manky firm shit snow / avy debris... I'm guessing Alaska can deliver all types of snow in one run.. I haven't had the pleasure yet so wtf do I know

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Tangent: when this came up I did a quick check to see if it was possible. It isn’t, but my fantasy included an equipment and skills check. And two questions…

1. I immediately figured I’d bring my 191 Renegades. They’re a maple core proto pair, so a little bit heavier and stiffer than standard, and I wouldn’t hesitate to rock them anywhere, especially if it’s steep, though if there isn’t a powder/soft crud payoff I’d just as soon have something else in tight bumps or groomers. Fine print says they want something cambered and these aren’t that. Would the Rens be a bad choice? Why?

2. I have no avy knowledge and have no avy gear. I’m pretty good at following directions and am quicker than the next guy, usually. How big a barrier would that be? How best to bridge the gap in the meantime in a place far removed from any kind of avy class?
    Do it!!

You’ve worked hard your whole life, you deserve this.

If you don’t do it now, you may be dead by the time an opportunity comes around like this again.

You only live once.

Best advice… Follow the Toe.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpeg
Views: 1019
Size:  20.3 KB

@Dantheman - Stoked to have you up here! And super stoked for this program with Sage. I'm really hoping I get to guide this one for sure as it could be an all-time set up!!!

@Mustonen - Re: your gear question - I've never ridden wrenegades, but their shape and width looks solid. I ride Lotus 124s most days and the Lotus 138 when it gets deep. We are sponsored by DPS and have some Lotus 124s for us. For me - width is helpful skiing in AK and just makes the skiing easier; and is also just really fun. You can get by with 112 or 115s under foot, particularly once the new snow settles a bit and on steeper terrain- but I find them to be more work. Also - I have found that I really like a ski that has a reasonably supportive tail. Now - I'm usually skiing with a heavier pack that is like having a midget on your back - but I found having a supportive tail allows for a potential recovery if things get a little dicey on a spicy exit.

re: you avi question - not necessary, but helpful - and I'd recommend it, if you can make it happen. Having a basic understanding of avalanche problems as well as practice with avalanche rescue - makes you a stronger member of the group. And even though all heliskiing is guided - a stronger group overall (both skiing and w/r/t overall mountain sense) brings confidence to the guide and generally allows us to consider skiing more difficult lines. We have a number of avalanche educators that guide here. For the Sage program if there are no-fly days - one of the things on the docket is doing some avalanche classroom time, as well as avalanche rescue practice. We also often offer this to our regular groups and find that it is well received. I heard recently that one of the groups from last year was backcountry skiing in Idaho after they returned from AK and they witnessed a skier triggered full burial. They responded and were able to get him out in under 10 minutes - and the skier survived with no significant injuries.

They had no prior avi training, but did an avi rescue training day here - and executed it perfectly a couple weeks later! Pretty freaking cool.

Mustonen: you should pull the trigger. You will never get an opportunity like this again.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Ski with Sage Cattabriga-Alosa in Alaska (3/31 - 4/6)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Do it!!

You’ve worked hard your whole life, you deserve this.

If you don’t do it now, you may be dead by the time an opportunity comes around like this again.

You only live once.
    Lack of conditioning makes it a nonstarter, unfortunately. I’m not carrying any extra weight but had a hard time skiing top to bottom at JH without at least a couple stops - even groomers. Djongo can attest. Disappointing. Vowing to not let that be an excuse again though.

Quote Originally Posted by the Dr. View Post

@Mustonen - Re: your gear question - I've never ridden wrenegades, but their shape and width looks solid.
    I’m talking about 4frnt renegades. 122 waist. Love them in funky snow particularly, including mashed potatoes and crust that is both dusted and breakable. Discussion was good though, as was the avy discussion. Thank you!
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by the Dr. View Post
    I heard recently that one of the groups from last year was backcountry skiing in Idaho after they returned from AK and they witnessed a skier triggered full burial. They responded and were able to get him out in under 10 minutes - and the skier survived with no significant injuries.

They had no prior avi training, but did an avi rescue training day here - and executed it perfectly a couple weeks later! Pretty freaking cool.

^ wow that is indeed pretty freaking cool

Lack of conditioning makes it a nonstarter, unfortunately. I’m not carrying any extra weight but had a hard time skiing top to bottom at JH without at least a couple stops - even groomers. Djongo can attest. Disappointing. Vowing to not let that be an excuse again though.

I’m talking about 4frnt renegades. 122 waist. Love them in funky snow particularly, including mashed potatoes and crust that is both dusted and breakable. Discussion was good though, as was the avy discussion. Thank you!
    Wrens would be perfect. I'm also tempted but would prefer not to drop coin like that at this point. Rad to be able to go though.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Don't forget your renegades and a ski for manky firm shit snow / avy debris... I'm guessing Alaska can deliver all types of snow in one run.. I haven't had the pleasure yet so wtf do I know

I've watched enough ski movies to know that runouts and aprons can get rugged. I'll have my trusty Sender Squads in tow.

Debating on bringing a backup pair of alpine skis or touring gear for down days.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 03-17-2024 at 05:57 PM.

This is so awesome; glad someone is making this happen. Enjoy the trip Dan and anyone else who can go! Hope the conditions are banger. Either way skiing with Sage should be a blast, you can tell his stoke is super high from Let's take a lap videos.

Also, big ups to the Dr. for offering such a sweet discount and spreading the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I've watched enough ski movies to know that runouts and aprons can get get rugged. I'll have my trusty Sender Squads in tow.

Debating on bringing a backup pair of alpine skis or touring gear for down days.
    Exactly.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

You have a rental car to go up the pass? Down day probably means a storm and flat light, and flat light isn't any fun in AK. With no rocks, no trees, and no shadows it's like skiing in the inside of a ping pong ball.

But sometimes the weather breaks clear at 5 or 6pm and you can go rush up the pass then, and ski until 9pm, maybe worth bringing touring gear for that?

I'll have a rental car, but I was told they will provide all transport for down day activities. Ping pong ball touring definitely sounds less than ideal, but better than twiddling thumbs around Valdez all day.

There’s a trail along the north side of the water that may be clear enough of snow to run on (albeit probably very wet if it is clear of snow)?

Ping pong ball touring definitely sounds less than ideal, but better than twiddling thumbs around Valdez all day.
    That's what I thought too before going up there, bring running shoes if you need a constant fix every day. Also bring touring skis in hopes for a down day sunset clearing that you should remember for the rest of your life.

Or day drink like everyone else.

I'll have a rental car, but I was told they will provide all transport for down day activities. Ping pong ball touring definitely sounds less than ideal, but better than twiddling thumbs around Valdez all day.
    There are really nice storm day skiing touring laps im the cat skiing zone of the luxury lodge up at the pass ( and good beer and free wifi, if youre bumming around in a rv). Just 200 or 300m vertical fun some trees and pillows. Just follow their cat track and go from there. You will have to test it a bit to maximize vert and pitch. But if you have guides youll ptobably go elsewhere.
    Some storm skiing pics in here. Ignore my German rambling and scroll down.
    https://thesabbaticalpath.wordpress....thompson-pass/

The bigger and more foresty tree skiing further down towards valdez didn't have much base when I was there. And looked more complicated to find decent gaps in the trees.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

God I wish I could make this happen financially. Feels somewhat irresponsible given my ski coach status.

Have fun DTM!!!

FWIW, I'd ski my 191 Renegades anywhere. One of my favorite parts about that ski is it's versatility. I've got Duke PT's on them and they do it all (as long as you aren't offended by a heavy touring setup).

I've watched enough ski movies to know that runouts and aprons can get rugged. I'll have my trusty Sender Squads in tow.

Been in valdez/ thompson pass for past 6 days. Flying with pulseline tomorrow. pm sent

T-minus 4 hours to takeoff. The drive from Anchorage to Valdez tomorrow looks to be...not fun.

Better upgrade to the four wheel drive
    off your knees Louie

Picked up my car last night instead of this morning, got the studded snow package, and hit the road at 5:30 am to get ahead of the storm. Cost me over $400 extra, but worth it I think. Glad I won't be coming over at 3:00 this afternoon.

Last edited by Dantheman; 03-30-2024 at 01:55 PM.

Rock on