Thread: Good Learning

Good Learning

https://mountainconditions.ca/report...hes-each-other

As the backcountry gets busier taking time to communicate with other groups, being careful to not ski on top of one another and being respectful seems to be par for the course. When guiding in busier areas, I’ve had to adapt my pre ski day avalanche safety training from count how many are in your group and see who’s missing to try a figure out how many groups are around and figure out who’s missing.

Thoughts? How are you managing this?

If it’s crowded go elsewhere, it’s a big wide world.

Rockie talkie is definition pushing the whole community radio channel thing. https://rockytalkie.com/pages/communitychannels

I can see possible potential but am deeply skeptical that an unregulated community channel will ever have enough good actors and few enough jongs to actually be useful.

I agree it's more fun to go where the crowds aren't; however, I don't think people are going to stop skiing in places like Rogers Pass, Chamonix, the Spearhead Range, or the LCC. Crowding is a new thing for BC and getting backcountry users to adjust their travel habits is a new challenge for all of us.

Golden Boy: That podcast was a good one. The avalanche problem was pretty evident in this case too, but we all under estimate conditions from time to time. False confidence in stability can be instilled when a start zone has previously been blasted with a 105mm howitzer

The ice climbing manifesto that was published for climbing in the Canadian Rockies is a neat code of ethics that might be useful for ski/ split touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudimatt7 View Post
    If it’s crowded go elsewhere, it’s a big wide world.
    This is what I prefer. Harder in a lot of side country areas. I give time when I know I'm behind someone else. However... Some recent events have transpired where even after giving time, the skiers in front of me have been MUCH slower. Has complicated the situation where I'm then faced with a few options - reverting to a different line, waiting again, or skiing past. I really don't like any of them TBH.

In the future if it's busy I'll probably just not take any access gates and ski in-bounds. Hate the situation too much.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk