Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should I just amputate this pinky?

Crashed my dirt bike last July and smashed the shit out of this pinky. 7 screws. 2 surgeries. Got the screws out now. Very little range of motion still even after second surgery and lots of PT. Finger won't open all the way or close all the way. Keep banging it on shit and hurts like a mother fucker when I do. I work with my hands a lot. Putting gloves on and off is a chore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3600.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	676.0 KB 
ID:	488201

So would there be any real drawbacks to just having the surgeon lop it off? The joint is basically already arthritic and I doubt that'll get any better wit time as I already have arthritis in other joints. It is just a pinky right? Maybe I can get a cool prosthetic or something.

The only downside is that a lot of your grip strength comes from your pinky and ring fingers. Kinda moot if you can’t bend it though

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    The only downside is that a lot of your grip strength comes from your pinky and ring fingers. Kinda moot if you can’t bend it though

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, mtb and Moto will be affected. It kinda grips now, but not as much as normal. Bigger deal with mtb because of braking. Clutch can be worked pretty well without.

one must also factor in how this might affect furious masturbation. amputation could necessitate a major change in form and quite possibly handedness.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    one must also factor in how this might affect furious masturbation. amputation could necessitate a major change in form and quite possibly handedness.
    It is on the non-dominant hand. Weird thing is, my left arm has been broken three times, at least two fingers broken, and three non-surgical incisions requiring stitches. My right hand/arm, has had no major injuries.

Should I just amputate this pinky?

Need to work out that non-dominant side per stealurface’s regimen

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    My shocker game would be reduced by 50% that's for sure.

I am in a somewhat similar boat, with a currently mess of a broken pinky. I have opted for no surgery for a variety of reasons. Based on my discussions with my ortho friend, I would do all I could before opting for amputation. How long has it been? I would definitely try lots of PT first in an attempt to regain mobility and strength first.
    I had similar thoughts of it’s just a pinky, but after learning more, the pinky is pretty important.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Maybe it would be a lot of fun, sort of unfamiliar like it was someone else.

Possible cross post to Would You Eat It? thread???

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    My shocker game would be reduced by 50% that's for sure.
    33%?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Possible cross post to Would You Eat It? thread???
    Either that or he could probably sell it to Walter...

I would probably clean it up and wear it on a necklace. Still use it to pick the flesh of my enemies out of my teeth.

Grow a massive coke nail on it first

Personally, there's no way I'd do that without giving it at least a year of PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Personally, there's no way I'd do that without giving it at least a year of PT.
    Yeah, good point. Making an appt to get a cortizone injection to break up scar tissue too. As a plus, the PT gal is friendly and easy on the eyes. Not a bad thing to have her rub my hand for an hour even if it is kinda pricey. Haha

I was semi-shitting on red light therapy in the recent RLT thread, but this might be a really good use case.

What kind of doc did your operations? If a general ortho I would get an opinion from a hand surgeon (some are orthopedists, some are plastic surgeons, all have done a hand fellowship after residency). Might be worth a second opinion even if you had a hand surgeon. Also, if you're seeing a PT might be worth seeing an Occupational Therapist. They're the rehab folks that specialize in hands among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What kind of doc did your operations? If a general ortho I would get an opinion from a hand surgeon (some are orthopedists, some are plastic surgeons, all have done a hand fellowship after residency). Might be worth a second opinion even if you had a hand surgeon. Also, if you're seeing a PT might be worth seeing an Occupational Therapist. They're the rehab folks that specialize in hands among other things.
    He's apparently one of the most respected hand surgeons around. We are pretty lucky here in the CO high country to have some very good ortho surgeons. And my PT specializes in just hands. She seems pretty darn good at it.

Problem is, there's just too much scar tissue around the joint. It was basically sand that they screwed back together to something that resembled a join, then took the screws out. I was awake during the second surgery and was able to touch the pinky to my hand then, which was pretty cool to be able to see the inside of the hand. But ever since then, it won't bend nearly that far. And it definitely won't straighten out.

Amputate the whole hand and get a fucking pirate hook.

Yaaaaarrrrrrr!
    Last edited by adrenalated; 02-27-2024 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    if it was done in summit or eagle county I'd bet money I know the doc who did it and he is a piece of shit

part of my index finger is gone
    it was repaired against my wishes (long story) cliff notes: was in a rage in the ER I told them to cut the fucking thing off and DR fuck face says we don't do that anymore we repair it I start yelling even more get blood all over the place my wife gives them permission to drug me up 30 seconds later I've never been so happy in my life seriously they could have stuck a broom in my ass and I would have loved it so DR cock sucker repairs it six weeks later he cuts it off

cut the fucking thing off

and fuck that guy

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Amputate the whole hand and getting a fucking pirate hook.

Yaaaaarrrrrrr!
    How about just a little pinky hook?

What about a pinky laser?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    What about a pinky laser?
    Multi -tool? For sure. Probably need a bottle opener, corkscrew, scissors, screwdriver, multiple blades, and of course a laser.