Stevens Peak Idaho

3 missing in avalanche near Stevens Peak, close to Lookout Pass. SAR on site in very cold storm conditions. It's -20 wind chill with heavy snow and the effort is continuing still at 11:00 tonight. Not good.

Edit: Latest information is 2 people found alive taken to the hospital. One still missing and search suspended for the night due to a weather. Keep the SAR in your thoughts as they resume the search tomorrow. Not looking good for the remaining missing person.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 01-12-2024 at 01:39 AM.

"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Looks like they've recovered the deceased (probable) skier. RIP.

https://cdapress.com/news/2024/jan/1...-stevens-peak/

Sad for the community. At this time, I don't know who this was but my suspicion is that it's someone I may know. It's not that large of a number of people that ski that area. RIP.

Hopefully not, but yeah, it's not a large pool at all. Looks like names have been released now:

"The man found dead Friday has been identified as Corey J. Zalewski. The other two men found safe the day before have been identified as Landon E. Crecelius and David R. Sittser."

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Hopefully not, but yeah, it's not a large pool at all. Looks like names have been released now:

"The man found dead Friday has been identified as Corey J. Zalewski. The other two men found safe the day before have been identified as Landon E. Crecelius and David R. Sittser."
    Oh no….

I know one in that group. Condolences to friends and family of the deceased.

Damn... I know Landon pretty well. Great guy that I've skied with more than once. I think I've met Corey, too, with Landon. Shit.

Vibes you guys... that's rough.

Sorry to hear. Condolences.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

This sucks. So sorry Bourbon. RIP fellow snow slider.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Really curious to see the full IPAC report. The West Willow area is my normal touring grounds.

IPAC only posts forecasts on Tuesday/Friday so I suspect we won't see anything new on this until at least tomorrow morning. I'm interested, too.

ETA: No update yet as of this morning.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 01-16-2024 at 10:40 AM.

News story from the Spokesman Review regarding the details of the incident. I haven't checked IPAC site yet for the report but will post it once I get it.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...e-that-killed/

ETA: Link to report

https://www.idahopanhandleavalanche....ident-reports/

Brutal to read the report. Excellent summary that does not pull any punches and covers the good and the bad.

Thx and further condolences.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Good report. Sorry for the loss, guys.