Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dynastar M-Free 108 replacement

I skied my enforcer 110s today and reminded that I do really quite like them, perhaps even more than my m-free 108’s.
    I get that Dan and ISBD hate them as noted up thread, so it’s great that various manufacturers make different types of skis.
    I’m just not super interested in aggressively driving tips on firm snow at mach looney on a 110 waisted ski.
    Sure Nordica could have made the tips and shovels stiffer but then people would complain they don’t float well for their width or are too planky.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I have 180 118's so not the exact same ski. I do wish they were 184-186cm long though. They are related but I honestly prefer the 108 on many soft snow days. The tails are very different skiing. I think if the 118s were longer, I could mount them more forward, and that would help.
    Good info. Just trying to understand, are you saying that the 180 118s feel a bit unbalanced, like the tip overpowers the tail?

Would you say that the 180 118s and 182 108s feel like similar length of ski, or does the 180 118 ski shorter?

186 Woodsman 108 or last year’s 187 Woodsman 110?

Too bad the Mfree 108 doesn’t charge in pow!!
    ~30” 72 hours
    10” dropped during the day

This ski is so good
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7889.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	482632

Poppy and sendy

Name:	IMG_7855.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	300.4 KB 
ID:	482633

Deep trees? Check!

Name:	IMG_7878.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	482634

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by SkiLyft; 01-12-2024 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Good info. Just trying to understand, are you saying that the 180 118s feel a bit unbalanced, like the tip overpowers the tail?

Would you say that the 180 118s and 182 108s feel like similar length of ski, or does the 180 118 ski shorter?
    Sorry, I was a bit all over the place there. No, the tails are stronger than the tip on the 118. I find the tip longitudinally and torsionally soft and feel the tip goes away when pushed too hard.

The mount point bit has more to do with how I pressure a ski and may be too preferential to matter to most; if a ski is mounted farther forward, I can pressure the edge more evenly with a neutral stance. If it's farther back, I drive the tips more. The 180 is too short for me to want to go forward, but if it was longer, I would try moving the mount 1-2 cm forward and see if that helped... The farthest forward mount I own is still like -5; most are around -7 or farther back; I generally stick to the line for what it's worth.

I think they have close to the same amount of tip, but I really want the 118s longer and don't really get that with the 108, not that I would be upset if they were 2cm longer...

I think they are both good but different skis that work for the same type of skier, if that makes sense.

SkiLyft with the Stoke!
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I’ll chime in, the 118 is a different ski. I skied them 1cm forward for a few runs and really didn’t enjoy them. For their width, felt it was easy to stuff a tip. When that happened naturally you’d lean back to compensate then I’d find myself wheeling out. Just didn’t seem to have a happy balance point.

Maybe that was due to where we mounted them but just my take on them.

This is where a Corvus fits the bill. It does everything that the 108 does better and has better size options.

After a couple of night of sleeping on it, I ended up going with another pair of 182 M-Free 108s. There were some good suggestions here, but it took trying quite a few skis before getting to the M-Frees, and I didn't want to open that can of worms again. I still think they need to make a 187.

Praxis GPO comes in 187.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    186 Woodsman 108 or last year’s 187 Woodsman 110?
    I really wish the Woodsman had more taper in the tail like the MFree 108. I'm skiing the 192 108 this season after the last couple on the 192 Woods110. Overall I prefer the feel of the Woods but they do feel pretty close. What I don't like about the MFree is that it isn't as solid of a landing platform as the Woods, I stuff the tips on the Dynastar where the ON3P can handle a rough runout without issue. I do prefer the MFree when carving, just has more precise grip (not that these two skis are going to excel).

Would love either a 195cm MFree 108 or a Woods with more taper in the tail (gets hung up more).

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I really wish the Woodsman had more taper in the tail like the MFree 108. I'm skiing the 192 108 this season after the last couple on the 192 Woods110. Overall I prefer the feel of the Woods but they do feel pretty close. What I don't like about the MFree is that it isn't as solid of a landing platform as the Woods, I stuff the tips on the Dynastar where the ON3P can handle a rough runout without issue. I do prefer the MFree when carving, just has more precise grip (not that these two skis are going to excel).

Would love either a 195cm MFree 108 or a Woods with more taper in the tail (gets hung ups more).
    If you want more stompage then the Mpro108 is the ski. That ski is a stomp machine. Not that a ton of dudes who huck pretty big have issues with the Mfree 108. You must be a bigger guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If you want more stompage then the Mpro108 is the ski. That ski is a stomp machine. Not that a ton of dudes who huck pretty big have issues with the Mfree 108. You must be a bigger guy.

I hear you on the MPro but still want a more 'fun' ski, ~-8 to -9 mount point. 6'2" 190lbs. That's what I've always liked about my ON3Ps (Woods, BG) is I can just land in bumpy conditions and ride the skis out, I don't have the same trust in the MFree in the same conditions, I believe its the nature of having consistent material to the tip/tail in the ON3P vs less in the MFree.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    After a couple of night of sleeping on it, I ended up going with another pair of 182 M-Free 108s. There were some good suggestions here, but it took trying quite a few skis before getting to the M-Frees, and I didn't want to open that can of worms again. I still think they need to make a 187.
    According to Blister the 182 is a 182 while the 192 ia a 189. 3cm longer on the tip and tail works out to about a 1 inch. Everyone on here raves about how much better the '192' is but is there really that much difference? Or is it just a TGR big dick thing? Love my 182's, got them on gear swap after reading how everyone here loved them. I ain't no dentist so I buy what's available on gear swap, would have bought the '192' if that had been the ski for sale but the 182 was the one for sale. Need to demo a '192' sometime to see if there really is a big difference. That being said the 182 is a great ski. Thanks to all on here that raved about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MCskid View Post
    According to Blister the 182 is a 182 while the 192 ia a 189. 3cm longer on the tip and tail works out to about a 1 inch. Everyone on here raves about how much better the '192' is but is there really that much difference? Or is it just a TGR big dick thing? Love my 182's, got them on gear swap after reading how everyone here loved them. I ain't no dentist so I buy what's available on gear swap, would have bought the '192' if that had been the ski for sale but the 182 was the one for sale. Need to demo a '192' sometime to see if there really is a big difference. That being said the 182 is a great ski. Thanks to all on here that raved about it.
    Yeah, there's 8 cm of difference in straight tip-to-tail length, not 10 cm like the stated size would suggest, but the 192 feels quite a bit more substantial and less loose than the 182. The 185 M-Free 99, while measuring the same as the 182 M-Free 108, feels longer to me, though shorter and less substantial than the 192 108. If you compare the shapes, it has a bit of a longer sidecut length, so that makes sense. The 185 99 feels 'about right' for length to me, if I wanted a single length in the 108. The 192 108 is still heavily rockered and easy enough to slide around in tighter spots - it's not a full-on charger. But it's just a touch cumbersome at lower speeds and in tighter terrain.

The smaller sizes of the Mfree were designed with smaller skiers in mind so the flex was softened accordingly. The 182 and 192 are name the same animal. 192 is significantly stiffer. Not saying the 182 is super soft either. Smaller guys who rip, some here on the trg are on the 182 with zero complaints. I could almost see myself on the 182 at a small tight resort, esp like Red, days after a storm when the terrain is super bumped out and in their techy tight trees as the 192 was manageable here but more work.
    Any other scenario I absolutely want the 192 on my feet. Not waving my dick either.

According to Blister the 182 is a 182 while the 192 ia a 189. 3cm longer on the tip and tail works out to about a 1 inch. Everyone on here raves about how much better the '192' is but is there really that much difference? Or is it just a TGR big dick thing?
    It has already been answered by the peeps above, but yeah - the 192 is significantly more of everything than the 182. Both are fine skis I might add - the 192 just has an extra helping of charginess compared to the 182. At least for my 175/70kg self. I prefer the longer length, but just found them too long in the end.

I run 184 Rossi SF110s in this quiver slot now. It is a fantastic ski. Less taper and more front/tail "balance" (the cambered section is more symmetrical) so not quite as loose on edge as the MF108, but still plenty loose and fun.

I strongly believe that most skiers would be happy on either it or the MF108 - the Rossi group has this segment dialed, they just need a bit more lengths (something between the 192 and 182 mf) and more exciting graphics and they should be selling these like hot cakes. So damned good skis.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    Praxis GPO comes in 187.
    Skis nothing like the mFree 108 though.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    This is where a Corvus fits the bill. It does everything that the 108 does better and has better size options.
    Great skis but notably less maneuverable in soft snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I'd say a 188 praxis mvp. I really like my mfree 99. Its very versatile and does a lot of things well. I think i mount a couple cm forward. I've considered adding an mfree 108. The dynastar edges and bases are tougher than rossi/dynastar used to be but theyre not that tough or xlide very fast. With the new rocker profile on the mvp i think i'd go that diection instead of the mf 108. I miss praxis durability and rocket bases. The rocker , camber and stiffness look to line up with an mfree along with a longer radius and mount point where i wamt on that segment of ski

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Late to this party, but this is the answer. The 108 MVP is easily my favorite in the ~108 width rocker/camber/rocker genre. It just does everything well with minimal fuss. And construction is bomber. Although in fairness, I haven't skied the mfree 108. I owned the mfree 118, but as discussed above, that's a different ski (an OK, but not great one).

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I skied my enforcer 110s today and reminded that I do really quite like them, perhaps even more than my m-free 108’s.
    I get that Dan and ISBD hate them as noted up thread, so it’s great that various manufacturers make different types of skis.
    I’m just not super interested in aggressively driving tips on firm snow at mach looney on a 110 waisted ski.
    Sure Nordica could have made the tips and shovels stiffer but then people would complain they don’t float well for their width or are too planky.
    The E110 is a really dialed ski. It's a bummer that they're killing it off.

Honestly, I have the 183 Hotshot in this space. Previously it was the 185 E110. What I'd really like is a 186 Hotshot. I think the HL 110FR could be a great DD. Enough backbone to charge, but shaped to slither trees.

I rode my 190 Praxis Mind Sticks yesterday and they're just a lot of ski in tight trees with soft snow. Open things up and they rip. The day before I rode 191 Renegades and they dont feel big at all. Even in deep snow, tight trees. Crazy that the bigger ski is that much more nimble.

I'm always in search of that DD that can handle soft reblown, chalk, trees and the occasional hard pack. The do it all ski. E110 was darned close if not a bit dead. I'm pretty happy on the Hotshot.