Unhappy French avalanche accident

"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Criminal charges?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Criminal charges?
    Poorly explained by the daily mirror. Normal procedure in France after a fatal accident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invest...ize%20wiretaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Easy with the pitchforks. The whole concept of "don't ski above another party in avalanche terrain" is neither expected nor practical for many itineraries in the alps. Probably best to wait for more details. And Cross County Skiers could very well be Ski Tourers.

I read the article to say that there was "criminal investigation" which seems to be fairly normal in many places anytime there is a death. It's probably procedural and allows the police to investigate the cause of death to rule out any malicious intent or criminal negligence.

If anything it seems (from the article) the Mayor is faulting the instructor for having his students out there.
    A criminal case has been opened into the cause of the avalanche. Saint-Gervais Mayor Jean-Marc Peillex said the weather conditions were too unstable for such risky outings. "It rained, it snowed, it was warm. There are enough marked paths to ski on," he told BFM television.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I have no pitchforks, but with 3 burials and only one rescue -- the guy with a beacon -- it sure seems like the tragedy could have been avoided if they were wearing beacons. And they were skiing off-piste and subjecting themselves to the hazards that comes with.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Who knows the dealio with instructors vs guides in that area and if there are rules whether the instructor was “allowed” to take their clients in that area? Also, what was the hazard rating on that day? The article is unclear if the other 5 in the party were also caught (unless my reading skills are low).

I remember many years ago when a mag was caught and carried with others somewhere in the alps and the slide was triggered by a traversing party somewhere uphill.

French avalanche accident

Dp