Name:	IMG_4876.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	597.2 KB 
ID:	486146

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4877.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	557.2 KB 
ID:	486147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4880.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	669.9 KB 
ID:	486148
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    The crowds, however, were indeed silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Was a interesting day for sure… black pass sucks btw
    I ended up staying out all day and am glad that I did. Got my best three runs of the day late in the afternoon. More on that in a moment. It was busy out there today. Lots of pent of demand for powder due to the dry winter, other than this past week. It was a bit of a scene at times with people acting like idiots, ducking closures and getting pissed off when the lift operators couldn't give them the answer they wanted. Example "The Top will be open in 10 minutes." It's a blue bird pow day after a decent sized storm cycle and unless this is your first sunny powder day, you should know that
    It's a waiting game. Lines were big at times, and the waits were long. I talked to a couple guys on ch 9 at the end of the day and they said it took them 45 minutes to get thru the Gondola line at McCoy, and it was open when they got in line. Busy. A large dose of patience was key today.

Name:	IMG_2705.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	846.4 KB 
ID:	486154
    Just as I got onto ch 23 a wall of clouds socked in the Top and the visibility went to zero. I couldn't see shit, so I ended up going back to Ch 5 hoping that the closure to ch 9 would get opened.

Name:	IMG_2706.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	714.7 KB 
ID:	486155
    After a couple runs on ch 5, it got socked in by clouds as well. Almost called it a day at 2:00 pm. Glad I stayed.

Name:	IMG_2710.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	486156
    Ch 9 opened and I headed for the Tail with more people than I've ever seen out there. Still found the deepest and best turns of the day.

Name:	IMG_2711.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	486157
    Second run deep in the Tail. Best turns of my season for sure.

Name:	IMG_2712.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	486158
    Third run was fresh top to bottom. Never crossed a track. These runs made a good day into a really good day.
    It seemed like people were pouring into town tonight, so be ready for big numbers this upcoming weekend.

As for the Black Pass mentioned by PW above, for me it's not the pass, it's the lack of anyone checking all the folks coming thru the ski school/Black Pass entrance. I could be wrong, but I feel like you can make a reasonably good guess as to whether someone has a Black Pass or they're poaching. For instance, I don't think that the group of five 20 something year old snowboarders with face tatts and piercings that barged thru the Black Pass line on ch 5 today actually had one. I could be wrong, but don't think so. That's my issue with it. If someone wants to spend $10K on a pass, go for it.

I heard that with the latest storms the season to date snowfall for this season has now passed the total snowfall for 2014-2015 season. That was a shit year with the Canyon Lodge closing on March 30th, possibly its earliest closing date ever. Mammoth is now at 82% of average for this time of year. Have a good and safe weekend.

^^ Lower Gondi to McCoy last Saturday on the good day was over an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Was a interesting day for sure… black pass sucks btw
    I don't have one, but if I lived anywhere near mammoth and could get there in under an hour, a black pass would be the biggest no brainer ever. I was not there the other day, but they have been checking more this year more than ever. As to a group of tatted snowboarders, there are fractional ownership developments in mammoth that come with the passes. So in your house sleeping 10, everyone gets one.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    I don't have one, but if I lived anywhere near mammoth and could get there in under an hour, a black pass would be the biggest no brainer ever. I was not there the other day, but they have been checking more this year more than ever. As to a group of tatted snowboarders, there are fractional ownership developments in mammoth that come with the passes. So in your house sleeping 10, everyone gets one.
    Corporate passes too, $30k for 4 of them. My friend's company has one and he uses it to entertain clients/my poor ass when there is one available. Regular BP members get "points" they can redeem for "expeditor" passes if you already have a pass/ticket as well FYI. I find most of the BP crew I ski with from time to time to be super chill, regular older guys who have been going to Mammoth for decades. One guy invites groups of veterans up a few times a year to ski with him as well, nice to see things like this.

If I had a house I'd 100% get one if I could swing it and could amortize it over a long season. My friend gets 60+ days a year out of his house and it's a no-brainer for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Corporate passes too, $30k for 4 of them. My friend's company has one and he uses it to entertain clients/my poor ass when there is one available. Regular BP members get "points" they can redeem for "expeditor" passes if you already have a pass/ticket as well FYI. I find most of the BP crew I ski with from time to time to be super chill, regular older guys who have been going to Mammoth for decades. One guy invites groups of veterans up a few times a year to ski with him as well, nice to see things like this.

If I had a house I'd 100% get one if I could swing it and could amortize it over a long season. My friend gets 60+ days a year out of his house and it's a no-brainer for him.
    Also works during mtb bike season.

Having a tough time with regards to this coming weekend...snow for sure but looks stormy and windy too. Not sure I'm going to want to make that drive and spend the $$$ to ski the lower mountain with the holiday weekend hoards...

I check into a cabin with the family in June Lake on Monday for the week, but got a hotel in Bishop for Sunday night...hopefully 395 stays open. Couldn't find many reasonable options for Saturday by the time I looked.

^^ Nice, you should score. Once the storm clears, it should be amazing mid week.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Having a tough time with regards to this coming weekend...snow for sure but looks stormy and windy too. Not sure I'm going to want to make that drive and spend the $$$ to ski the lower mountain with the holiday weekend hoards...
    We're going. Ski lease, so cost is already sunk. We will see just how this storm lines up.

I would love to leave tomorrow AM, but both of us have Friday morning meetings we can't shake. That's rare for us, usually we avoid scheduling anything on a Friday, but sometimes that's the way it goes. We will see what Monday looks like. I would love to stay Monday, but my wife absolutely has to be home for Tuesday, so if the travel conditions look sketchy we might leave on Sunday evening.

Mt. Baldy was awesome last weekend, and should currently be great for anyone staying down south.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Well my scratchy throat turned into flu overnight so I'm out gents. Congrats on what's sure to be an epic weekend....

I usually post in Tahoe thread but here at Mammoth for the Far West U16 races and they cancelled the Super G this morning due to 11" of fresh overnight. So, twist my arm, I skied pow all morning. Awesome morning even though upper mountain was closed due to winds. I did 11 runs and legs gave out. So fun.

Name:	MammothPow.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	486956

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	687.2 KB 
ID:	486973
    F&ck yeah!

Did something go down today wrt egregious rope ducking? Either way, I’m okay with them taking a stronger stance.

https://fb.watch/qeEgX22cP4/?mibextid=v7YzmG

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I just assumed you'd lose your pass for the season, not 10 or 30 days.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Dont know about today but when i was there a couple weeks ago i overheard a convo about 2 boarders going off backside and getting so far down that patrol couldnt go after them so they were sending someone out the road to devils postpile to go collect them.

Name:	Image 2-15-24 at 22.24.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	437.6 KB 
ID:	487016

https://fb.watch/qeKNvCrprH/

Listen to this man. He's trying to save your life.

MAMMOTH 23/24 - WE ARE READY FOR THE SNOW NOW

Sweet day out on the Mtn on Thursday. A quick hitting storm dropped 1 ft of new snow overnight and by mid morning weather was clearing up quickly. Winds kept the the upper lifts closed until noonish and the Top opened around 2:00 p.m. While today's pow wasn't as good as last Thursday's blower pow, the Mtn wasn't nearly as busy today vs a week ago. Longest I waited today was 2-3 minutes.

Name:	IMG_2781.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	487017
    Avi 3.
    Spent most of the morning on ch 22 lapping the avi chutes. Wind was moving the snow around and all the Avi's skied well.

Name:	IMG_2780.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	487018
    Avi 3.
    The more it got skied on the better it got as the winds did their thing.

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	941.9 KB 
ID:	487019
    Avi 1 skiing well.

Name:	IMG_2776.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	487020
    Face of ch 5.
    The new snow was thick & wind affected in places. The combination of skier traffic and wind made for some stellar skiing.

Name:	IMG_2777.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	487021
    More ch 5. I love Mammoth wind.

Name:	IMG_2782.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	487022
    Lap #1.
    Just after 2:00 the closure off the back of Ch 5 opened and with Cloud 9 still closed I did the traverse out with no one around. This looked good but I kept going.

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	487023
    This line looked good. Took a quick pic and kept going.

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	487024
    This was the one. Way less wind affect in here. Very fun.

Name:	IMG_2787.jpg 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	487025
    Looking back up. Time for the next lap. With Cloud 9 & ch 25 closed the circuit back was Eagle Ex to Ch 22 and back to Ch 5.

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	487026
    Lap #2.
    The ridge on the lookers left was the call.

Name:	IMG_2796.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	487027
    And it just kept going.

Name:	IMG_2797.jpg 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	487028
    Never saw another person out here.

Name:	IMG_2785 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	487029
    Lap #3.
    Good times today. With Sat & Sun blackout days this weekend might not be to crowded. Then starting Monday it looks full on.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 02-16-2024 at 04:14 AM.

I've had mixed results re. blackout weekends and crowds. It keeps out the LA and San Diego bros but does nothing for the ski trip folks coming from near and far.

ESS - You scored!

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    ESS - You scored!
    Dude, I think I need to go buy a lotto ticket today.

Name:	IMG_2806.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	418.4 KB 
ID:	487061
    The morning started off kind of grayed out, but as soon as I took my first Top run the sun came out.

Name:	IMG_2814.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	578.4 KB 
ID:	487062
    I noticed a couple Patrol guys adjusting the rope around Hangman’s and skied over. I asked if it was open and they said “Go!” Good turns above and below the throat.

Name:	IMG_2816.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	441.2 KB 
ID:	487063
    The turns after the throat are sweet. I did two laps thru it.
    I’ve walked onto G2 5x today with no wait. Taking an early lunch and back out shortly.

Too many idiots.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Tonight through Wednesday - hang on to your toques, folks, it just might snow a bit.

What happened on 14 Saturday? Did it break? Heard people were stuck for a while...

Great shots ESS!

Skied Saturday, which was fun as the weather came in, and Sunday which was awesome.

A quick word about the rope ducking: A few weeks ago my wife and I were lapping chair 12 on a slightly whiteout storm day. Patrol couldn't get to the top to do any work, and there was a rope to the skier's right of chair 12, you couldn't hike up and hit the star chute area. I don't think I have ever seen so many people ducking the rope, and it just blew me away. It really was beyond stupid. I'm sorry for the patrol to have to address something they shouldn't have to address.