Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Snowing 40 miles south of lone pine on the 395 & starting to stick…
    Wow!!

That's interesting.

I had to head home last night, after skiing Friday and Saturday. I like the idea of getting snowed in, some of my house mates are hoping that happens, but I really needed to get out and get some work done today and this week. I'm rooting for them to get snowed in for the next few days, really wish I could.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Left Reno at 5:30 a.m. this morning on 395 and got to Mammoth just before 10:00 a.m. It was nuking down snow the whole way.
    Washoe Valley, Conway Summit and from the June Lake junction South to HWY 203 were zero vis, full on white out conditions. The Tacoma with a new set of BFG’s was in full beast mode and powered thru it.

Out on the hill for the past couple hours. Found a spot at Ch 2 to park and have skied from ML to Eagle to CL. I’m on my pow skis that are
    115 mm underfoot and I’m sinking in the trees. It’s deep for sure. I’ll get some pics on my way back to ch 2 lot b

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Left at 630am on the dot and made it back to LA in sub-5 hours but felt like we were surfing down a 100' wave...

Town only had like 8 inches but the drive past the airport was sketch and we got stuck behind 2 caltrans plows around Toms which was fun...

Temp dipped to 32 south of Lone Pine and the road got slushy super quick. Saw a sedan that had rolled over in the center divider being helped out at one point but once we got a bit further down the rain let up a lot and it was pretty dry from north of Mojave the rest of the way. Now to buckle up for the monsoon here in LA...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	485541
    This is the Deadman’s area just before the rest stop on 395 South. Road wasn’t completely plowed and it was tough to see where the road ended and the shoulder began.

Name:	IMG_2652.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	485542
    Stump Alley Ex is not busy at 3:15. I’m in the truck warming up for one last run.

Concur on ch2

Name:	IMG_4838.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	485555
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Got into town at 330 Canyon was the boulevard of broken dreams with many a stuck car in the middle of the road up to the lot.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Got out on the hill on Monday and skied from 10:00 a.m. til 3:30 p.m. Mostly cloudy skies with moderate winds but snowing hard at the end of the day. Top never opened but chairs 3 & 5 did by mid day. It was also apparent that lots of folks extended their weekend as it was much busier than past Monday's and both chairs 3 & 5 had some healthy lift lines at times.

Name:	IMG_2662.PNG 
Views:	75 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	485742
    Nice to see Mammoth at the top of the pack for most new snow in North America in the past 24 hrs.

Name:	IMG_2656.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	485743
    Avi 3 with good coverage and a fairly easy entrance up high along the snow fence. I wouldn't call the snow "Blower" by any stretch but as the snow got skied there were some fun sections of wind blown on the skiers left side.

Name:	IMG_2657.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	955.6 KB 
ID:	485744
    Avi 2 had good coverage as well, but the entrance at the top of it was boney. Best way in was over to Avi 1, make a few turns and then go hard left and traverse back to Avi 2.

Name:	IMG_2660.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	742.6 KB 
ID:	485745
    It was snowing hard at the end of the day... Tomorrow's forecast is for snow showers with 2"-4" possible.
    See you on the Mtn.

Stay safe guys!
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Close to a foot of new snow overnight and the pow quality is much higher today vs the last two days. Been a very fun morning. For a Tuesday, its busy😟

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Close to a foot of new snow overnight and the pow quality is much higher today vs the last two days. Been a very fun morning. For a Tuesday, its busy??
    You're breaking my heart

Glad you are out there getting some.

Friday and Saturday were lots of fun, although me and my buddy royally screwed up our machination to get to the top. Tried lower gondi, got out of line to go to chair 12 to get the chair 14. I think lots of other people had the same idea as we did. By the time we got to the Paranoids the top was pretty tracked, although still fun. I didn't expect them to get it open as quickly as they did. Part of the issue was that Broadway wasn't running, so lots of people rode the lower gondi because they didn't have another option.

We got out on Saturday. Some of my friends got 'unintentionally' snowed in.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 04-05-2024 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    You're breaking my heart

Glad you are out there getting some.

Friday and Saturday were lots of fun, although me and my buddy royally screwed up our machination to get to the top. Tried lower gondi, got out of line to go to chair 12 to get the chair 14. I think lots of other people had the same idea as we did. By the time we got to the Paranoids the top was pretty tracked, although still fun. I didn't expect them to get it open as quickly as they did. Part of the issue was that Broadway wasn't running, so lots of people rode the lower gondi because they didn't have another option.

We got out on Saturday. Some of my friends got 'unintentionally' snowed in.
    If anyone’s is experiencing a case of FOMO you can put it to rest for now. Sitting in my truck trying to figure out my move for the day.

Not much open currently. Winds are up, gusts to 68 mph over the Top with a wind chill of -14 degrees. Interesting. We’ll see what the day brings.

It seems like slot of people got “snowed in.” For someone like me who skis Mon-Fri it’s been busy this week by comparison to a “typical” mid week non holiday. Lots of pent up demand from the shitty early season.

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	485541
    This is the Deadman’s area just before the rest stop on 395 South. Road wasn’t completely plowed and it was tough to see where the road ended and the shoulder began.
    Red Taco, lifted, BFGs (with that kung fu grip)? If so, pretty sure you passed me just after Lee Vining

Viz was ridiculous, and only got worse in the afternoon on the way down to Bishop.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
    Red Taco, lifted, BFGs (with that kung fu grip)? If so, pretty sure you passed me just after Lee Vining

Viz was ridiculous, and only got worse in the afternoon on the way down to Bishop.
    That might have been me. That was a tough drive on Sunday. Currently sitting in my truck trying to get motivated to go out. The folks parked next to me just got back to their car and are hanging it up after three runs. The lady described the wind as “severe.”

This pretty much sums it up for this morning. Never got out of my truck.

Name:	IMG_2669.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	485904
    Might come back up and check it out in the afternoon.

Yesterday was ok…

Name:  IMG_9380.jpeg
Views: 549
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:	IMG_4862.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	485946

Name:	IMG_4859.jpg 
Size:	379.6 KB 
ID:	485947

Today not so much
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Yesterday was ok…

Name:  IMG_9380.jpeg
Views: 549
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:	IMG_4862.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	485946

Name:	IMG_4859.jpg 
Size:	379.6 KB 
ID:	485947

Today not so much
    Yesterday was a fun day for sure, and your first photo is sweet! Big change in the pow quality from Sunday & Monday.

With no let up in the winds & weather today turned into a hangout, drink coffee and read type of day.

Name:	IMG_2670.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	485948
    Current weather to the West that’s over the Central Valley. If this tracks in over Mammoth the Mtn could get a decent reset.

Name:	IMG_2671.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	267.5 KB 
ID:	485949
    Looking back towards the Mtn from Sherwin Creek Rd.

Name:	IMG_2673.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	269.5 KB 
ID:	485950
    Looking towards the Sherwins.

Name:	IMG_2675.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	389.7 KB 
ID:	485951
    Sun came out for just a moment and lit up the Glass Mtns behind the truck.

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg 
Size:	637.4 KB 
ID:	485953
    Good book I’m working my way through written by another member of Jon Krakauer’s party from the “In To Thin Air” Everest expedition. Also an appropriate name for todays Mammoth weather.

It looks like another day of unsettled weather tomorrow before trending into stretch of dry days. ✌️
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	661.7 KB 
ID:	485952  

You camp in that truck? Reckon one would have to be hobbit sized to stretch out anywhere but I'm no truck camping expert

Sent from my CPH2417 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crankplank View Post
    You camp in that truck? Reckon one would have to be hobbit sized to stretch out anywhere but I'm no truck camping expert

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg 
Size:	508.9 KB 
ID:	485956
    No, but wish I could. I wanted a manual transmission so I could teach my kid the lost art of driving a stick shift. For some unknown reason Toyota only has a manual with a 5 ft bed vs a 6 ft bed with automatic transmission.

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg 
Size:	508.9 KB 
ID:	485956
    No, but wish I could. I wanted a manual transmission so I could teach my kid the lost art of driving a stick shift. For some unknown reason Toyota only has a manual with a 5 ft bed vs a 6 ft bed with automatic transmission.

Ive spec'd these out before and noticed that. Kind of killed the appeal for me, I'm a manual when I can have it person too. These stick tacos will hold their value like gold.

Yesterday was a fun day for sure, and your first photo is sweet!
    Right on thanks man, Dan McConnell got a video of me unbeknownst to me and that was the screen shot he sent me.

Started at main but bailed pretty quickly & drove from Red Mountain to the Devils slide looking for something to ski. The weather, wind, zero vis & avy sketch made most lines undesirable. Tomorrow should be tits if it actually clears

Name:	IMG_4865.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	429.4 KB 
ID:	485962

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg 
Size:	691.1 KB 
ID:	485963

Heading up this AM for today through Sunday. Holler if you see me, grey plants blue jacket blue helmet red goggles on a Wndr Alpine snowboard

ESS,

Glad to see someone can still drive a stick! It really is a lost art.

Hope some of you guys are up there getting some of this. I'm out for this weekend, but Baldy has finally lined up. If I can swing it I should get up there Friday afternoon and Saturday as well.

The season is finally lining up, for both Mammoth and Baldy.

Here are a few clips from last weekend. An avy 1 from Friday, then a Saturday Paranoid 2 lap and an avy 3 Saturday clip. The noids were fun on Saturday, but me and my buddy completely botched getting up there. We assumed it would take longer than it did to get the top open, so we got in a couple of avy chute laps, then we finally headed over to get to the top. We saw the line at the upper gondi, people were already skiing off the top at that point, so we headed to the lower gondi. Broadway wasn't open, so the lower gondi line was huge. After waiting in the lower gondi line for 20 minutes, we decided to do the chair 12 to chair 14 route. We figured it would be a while before chair 23 opened. By the time we got to chair 12, it had a line. Broadway and 23 ended up opening, and there was a line at chair 14. The top was tracked by the time we got to the noids, but still fun.

I think we planned as poorly as we possibly could. It reminded me of waiting in the Headwall line at Squaw, thinking it would pop, then having Siberia pop first and seeing people's heads creeping over the Slot and Light Towers areas. Of course, I've been on the other side of that too, sometimes your plan works and sometimes it doesn't.

Still a great day.

The sun is out and everybody’s here. Blue bird pow days remind me of surfing in SoCal at a name spot during a swell i.e. Lowers during a hyped up South Swell. There’s an edgy vibe in the air. Kind of like in the lift lines today. Anyways.

Name:	IMG_2700.jpg 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	486045
    Top is looking the best it’s been all season.

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg 
Size:	376.0 KB 
ID:	486046
    No major slides visible and the snow doesn’t appear to be super wind hammered. Top should be opening soon.

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	796.7 KB 
ID:	486047
    Found some peace & serenity in the trees on the lower Mtn this morning. Lapped this area repeatedly. Super fun.

Name:	IMG_2701.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	742.8 KB 
ID:	486048
    Another fun zone with some great turns this morning.

It’s not the Blue Bird pow days I dislike, it’s the circus that inevitably comes with it. I’m going to go out in a limb and assume the people that read this forum aren’t the ones being assholes to the lift operators. Way too many kooks this morning yelling “Yo liftie, when’s this chair open? What do you mean you don’t know? Who does?” Shut the fuck up. This is what the liftie knows, at some point the phone will ring and a voice on the other end will say “OPEN.” I told some dude “No ones forcing you to wait here, leave. Where were you during the storm cycle? Not here obviously.” Support your local liftie, cuz if they aren’t here, you’re not going up there. JMO.
    Shedding a layer as the winds have died and back out.

Nice pics! Enjoy

Today was one of Dog’s Days, and I’m just a groomer geezer. The crowds, however, were indeed silly.