Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Thx. likely wouldn't work for us anyway as we typically ski/have alta passes.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Looking for a little beta from the collective. Oldest and I are likely gonna do a road trip for spring break this year (first week in april). He's pretty into the park scene right now so obviously Mammoth on the top of his list. I'm fine following him around some while checking out a new mountain and spending some qt w him for a week. driving from slc. maybe a night around vegas to break things up. likely ski 4/5 days mon-fri.

starting to look into lodging/lift tix. no ikon etc so looks like the best ticket deal would be the quad pack? that and a rental w a kitchen to cook some meals. other option looks like a ski and stay package which might end up being a little cheaper than the former depending on where lodging is.
    i guess my main questions are:

1. any reason not to just wait till march to book lodging/tickets to see what conditions are like? i know it's been a slow start there but assume there'd be enough terrain to ski regardless? assume rentals would be readily available as well for that time of year?

2. any advantage to being closer to the village gondy vs the eagle lodge for lodging? figured we'd want to just walk to/from skiing. is there always access to get to the lodge on skis even in a low snow year (this is prob a dumb question but...)

any other intel appreciated. Thx ya'll.
    Re: 1; Even with a slow start to the winter, spring break is always busy at Mammoth. Doesn't matter much for buying lift tickets, but finding a decent rental with a kitchen may become difficult if you wait too long.

Re: 2; You'll have a car, so it really doesn't matter. But, if it were me, I'd want Canyon or Main to be my home base, vs. Eagle. Being able to walk to the Village Gondy is a bonus.

Google for the free bus route in Mammoth - it's pretty convenient for taking it to ski, so if you can stay somewhere close walking distance to the bus, that's nice.

Parking lots fill up fast and you can end up parking aways out on the road, which means you take a shuttle bus anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

worst day ever

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4777.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	484192

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4779.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	484193
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

i assume this happened on tuesday? i was bummed i had to leave before they opened dave's but i guess not anymore after seeing this vid. but i was on ski's so probably would have got in front of most of these beaters. got to think patrol could have maybe controlled the flow a bit better.

https://www.powder.com/trending-news...ammoth-comical

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    i assume this happened on tuesday? i was bummed i had to leave before they opened dave's but i guess not anymore after seeing this vid. but i was on ski's so probably would have got in front of most of these beaters. got to think patrol could have maybe controlled the flow a bit better.

https://www.powder.com/trending-news...ammoth-comical
    What a gong show, worse than anything I've seen there in my life....

Looking forward to next weekend, going try and make the run up on Thursday evening after work. Still too far out to get overly horny about the forecast but it looks like we'll get at least some snow...

I meant to go up on the weekend of Jan 20th, but I decided to get some work done on those days and push the trip to Sunday through Tuesday.

I'm glad I did.

As reported, Tuesday 1/23 was nuts. PW7 posted some photos, excellent as always, which really didn't exaggerate how much fun it was.

It was deep, and stable, with the top 6+ inches soft and light. So often the top slides if the snow is too light, or it is either heavy or wind affected. This storm had just the right combo of stability and a soft top layer. It was fun after it got cutup.

I started with a couple of laps on Climax, then did about 5 Paranoid 1 laps. It was fun even when it was choppy. The entrances into the noids were less rocky than I expected.

This storm really set the top up well.

Here are some shots of a Climax lap and a P1 lap.

"Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Anyone up already with some overnight reports? Rained about 2 inches at my house since late last night here in the flat lands...hoping similar amounts of precipitation up north...

Driving up after work with the fam tonight, hoping the top pops on Friday before the shit show on saturday....

14" at main, nuking in town & doubtful top opens on Friday....
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

I will be heading up in a few hours, coming back Saturday afternoon.

I really wanted to head up early this AM and get a storm afternoon, I haven't gotten a true DEEP storm day this year, but I just couldn't swing it.

I'm a bit jittery right now, cutting and pasting blocks of code to rerun things with a different variable, but then not changing the variable in the function call. I need to slow down a bit, tough when your mind is on skiing instead of ggplots and heatmaps.

We'll see just how things are tomorrow.

Hopefully the storm after this one sets up not only Mammoth, but also Baldy.

It's pouring rain in Newport Beach.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Anyone up already with some overnight reports? Rained about 2 inches at my house since late last night here in the flat lands...hoping similar amounts of precipitation up north...

Driving up after work with the fam tonight, hoping the top pops on Friday before the shit show on saturday....
    This should help with your powder inquiries

https://mammothmountain.westernweath...c64fe3bf9f5d73

Sent from my SM-G998U using TGR Forums mobile app

Thx. likely wouldn't work for us anyway as we typically ski/have alta passes.
    If you change your mind, let me know and I can get a small portion of that cost remove likely with the group buy. In fact, the more who go through the group the more we can help get some maggots on snow each winter.

Usually they start on sale in late March but I think Mammoth free spring skiing starts in early April. They won't announce until then.

If you are going to ski 5 days, I think the base pass pretty much comes at the same cost as a 5 day ticket. And then you always have the option to returning next season or spending Deer Valley being pampered.

We actually like Eagle as a start point. We find a place on the green line for easy shuttle to the base. Finish our days usually napping Chair 5, until last chair and we take the long cruiser back to the base. Canyon could work as well.

I don't love Main mid winter due to chances of closures during storms. I'd rather have access to the lower mountain without having to take a shuttle down mountain to start my day. OTOH, in good weather, its pretty sweet to walk out the door and start your day right there, so I see the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    If you change your mind, let me know and I can get a small portion of that cost remove likely with the group buy. In fact, the more who go through the group the more we can help get some maggots on snow each winter.

Usually they start on sale in late March but I think Mammoth free spring skiing starts in early April. They won't announce until then.

If you are going to ski 5 days, I think the base pass pretty much comes at the same cost as a 5 day ticket. And then you always have the option to returning next season or spending Deer Valley being pampered.

We actually like Eagle as a start point. We find a place on the green line for easy shuttle to the base. Finish our days usually napping Chair 5, until last chair and we take the long cruiser back to the base. Canyon could work as well.

I don't love Main mid winter due to chances of closures during storms. I'd rather have access to the lower mountain without having to take a shuttle down mountain to start my day. OTOH, in good weather, its pretty sweet to walk out the door and start your day right there, so I see the appeal.
    thx Ott. likely skiing 4 days. trying to narrow things down. ski/stay package through the resort staying near Eagle or vrbo near the village. seems eagle access nice to ski all the way down vs getting on the gondy at the end of the day? i guess further from most restaurants though?

woot just organized a trip to mammoth in March from new england for a week.
    I like to telemark ski when it's easy groomers only and the woods are not in and I get bored lapping corduroy. I also like to tele with my GF who is an intermediate skier and she is coming on the trip. We ski together a bit, then I peel off to ski other stuff. Last year I skied with a few Mags. hole in the wall. dragons back and whatever else I can't really remember I was following people around.
    So I would like to bring both alpine and tele but that's a lot of stuff to shlep.
    Is there any place at Mammoth (or mag) that would rent/demo/loan some skis with large NTN bindings?
    otherwise i will just look at the forecast and not bring the telestuff if it's going to be good. Last year was great but I understand that was a record year.
    ok looks like you all are finally getting some snow!
    enjoy
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

thx Ott. likely skiing 4 days. trying to narrow things down. ski/stay package through the resort staying near Eagle or vrbo near the village. seems eagle access nice to ski all the way down vs getting on the gondy at the end of the day? i guess further from most restaurants though?
    If at Eagle you either need to shuttle or drive to food. There is (a least used to be) a good noodle joint by Vons that we liked. It was maybe a 7 minute drive. A bunch of options in that area. You can also shuttler drive to the Village and that shuttle runs into the night. OTOH, if you stay at the Village, you have the village options. There are some there, but I've never eaten at any. And, yeah, you need to take a gondola to get back and forth.

Juniper Springs is literally steps from the lift. If you are lucky, you'll have snow right up to your deck and can ski home without going through the lobby.

I like to start and finish at Eagle and take the Green line bus down to our condo in Horizon 4 (we rent it). Super easy and reasonably priced. Staying in the Village would be nicer, but pricey.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    woot just organized a trip to mammoth in March from new england for a week.
    I like to telemark ski when it's easy groomers only and the woods are not in and I get bored lapping corduroy. I also like to tele with my GF who is an intermediate skier and she is coming on the trip. We ski together a bit, then I peel off to ski other stuff. Last year I skied with a few Mags. hole in the wall. dragons back and whatever else I can't really remember I was following people around.
    So I would like to bring both alpine and tele but that's a lot of stuff to shlep.
    Is there any place at Mammoth (or mag) that would rent/demo/loan some skis with large NTN bindings?
    otherwise i will just look at the forecast and not bring the telestuff if it's going to be good. Last year was great but I understand that was a record year.
    ok looks like you all are finally getting some snow!
    enjoy
    Check with Mammoth Mountaineering for NTN mounted skis. Personally, I'd drop the Alpine shit. But that's because I haven't had any in 40 years.

Driving down 395 on Sunday ..... should be entertaining.

Forecast looks like almost 5 feet of snow between Saturday night and next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Driving down 395 on Sunday ..... should be entertaining.
    I would guess they close it Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I would guess they close it Sunday?
    I concur with your guess; driving down tomorrow instead.

Crazy day. Got G2 opening from main and was in the first wave. Lapped G2 sticking to MJB, cornice bowl and kept working our way skiers left till noids. Snow up high was a little buffed but super light and even after an hour and getting carved up pretty good you could blast it. 23 was surprisingly not open till after lunch but all that terrain was pretty tracked out by then so I did one lap and bailed to see our friends son compete in slope style. Cold af day but wind behaved.

Epic day today. Seems like most of the mountain will not be operating in the next few days.

Side note, my snowboard was stolen at Eagle lodge on Friday at 11am. Mammoth said it’s been common this winter.

Snowing 40 miles south of lone pine on the 395 & starting to stick…