Thread: AspectAvy?

AspectAvy?

Anyone else getting pushed ads for this? https://www.aspectavy.com/ As far as I can tell, it's simply a standard zonal forecast overlaid on a topo map with some buzzwords and commonsense prompts thrown in (e.g., "Scary moderate", "Verify the forecast", etc.) Seems like overkill for any one who knows how to read an avy report and a topo map, but what do I know.

More info isn't a bad thing as long as it is good info. The jury is out and will be for some time as they go through Beta testing.

I do wonder if they are relying on Avalanche Center forecasts and charging for the application how the Center Directors feel about that?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I do wonder if they are relying on Avalanche Center forecasts and charging for the application how the Center Directors feel about that?
    Same. The website and articles I've seen are somewhat opaque about where the forecasts/danger ratings come from, but I can't imagine they are original to the app given the scale it operates at.

They do make a big deal about using LiDAR data and differentiating between dry and snow-covered slope angles, which has been a long time coming, especially given some of the incidents in Colorado and Utah over the past couple years.
    Last edited by Jeb McHardman; 11-19-2023 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb McHardman View Post
    Same. The website and articles I've seen are somewhat opaque about where the forecasts/danger ratings come from, but I can't imagine they are original to the app given the scale it operates at.

They do make a big deal about using LiDAR data and differentiating between dry and snow-covered slope angles, which has been a long time coming, especially given some of the incidents in Colorado and Utah over the past couple years.
    Some of that is Zach Miller's MS thesis work that I just saw him present at WYSAW. I'll dig in a bit deeper and ask him, report back.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Some of that is Zach Miller's MS thesis work that I just saw him present at WYSAW. I'll dig in a bit deeper and ask him, report back.
    That would be rad! I'm definitely interested in knowing more about what kind of data they're using for this project and where it's coming from. Avy research and info exchange is still pretty insular in the US compared to Canada and Europe, especially in the guiding world...