Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
    Might have to move to Prince George. Not really the ideal ski location, but how bummed will I be there? I'm ok with mostly touring...

4 small to medium ski areas "near" you.

Snowking, Purden, hudson and Troll. (I think)

fun mnt biking in the area.

no real time in the town, but seems like a bit of a shit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    4 small to medium ski areas "near" you.

Snowking, Purden, hudson and Troll. (I think)

fun mnt biking in the area.

no real time in the town, but seems like a bit of a shit hole.
    Powderking. Smithers is 4 hrs iirc. Shames is 6 hours. There's good touring close by

Can't disagree about the character of the town.

We have some friends who moved to PG several years ago. They thought they’d just be up there for a few years, but now they’re settled and enjoying it. They live out of town, close to the bike trails. Lots of opportunities that come from living up North. They’re both active in the MTB club, and spend weekends touring /sledding in Valemount. They’re making the best of it.

No fresh but good times @ Eagle Pass

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by shitskier View Post
    Might have to move to Prince George. Not really the ideal ski location, but how bummed will I be there? I'm ok with mostly touring...
    Powder King is pretty flat but fun to ski pow in the trees and cheap. Drive up kind of sucks. As others have said, Smithers and Terrace doable for weekends. Good accessible touring off HWY-16 east of PG not a long drive. 3hr to Valemount and 4h to Jasper as well. Having a sled would help matters. Good mountain biking as was said. The nicest thing I found in PG vs. big cities like lower mainland is there's zero competition for outdoor rec, you go a bit out of town in any direction from PG and aren't dealing with over crowded trailheads/parking lots etc. The city itself sucks though, sorry.

Agree with comments about PG as a town, however there's a vibrant music scene there, a few decent restaurants, and pretty damn good skiing not far away. I'd personally never live there but there's a pretty big contingent of folks that could live anywhere (my knee surgeon for one Uber keen MTN biker and ski tourer) and choose to live there. I think one of the keys would be to live a bit outta town opposite side of where prevailing winds would take the plume.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Don’t discount Murray Ridge in Ft St James. Enjoyed some very good conditions between 05 and 08. Biking on Mt Pope is fun too.

I went to murray ridge > 20 yrs ago and there was a big sign in the lodge saying " no drugs allowed" I had never actualy seen a sign like that in a day lodge lodge

I took a transfer to PG and did 11 yrs there, the down town is rough, PG wasn't bad, I didnt notice the smell once I had been there a a day

A lot of amenity migrants coming to Smithers for steelhead fishing/ ski hill/ xc area/ mtnbike area/ ski touring area/ music scene, we still got pretty good snow coverage they had to move some alpine races here cuz there is snow and a great ski club

Traveling around I see that just about every where has drug./ homeless issues
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I went to murray ridge > 20 yrs ago and there was a big sign in the lodge saying " no drugs allowed" I had never actualy seen a sign like that in a day lodge lodge
    If you had ever visited the Zoo downtown when it was still open, you might understand the need for a sign. Didn’t stop us from blazing in a couple discrete locations on the hill.

I remember a interview clip of the owner of the Zoo lamenting the law prohibiting smoking inside the bar. ‘I just got them to take their joints to the covered porch outside!’ It was quite the establishment.

I was gona go for lunch at the Zoo but the system operator at MOF was quite emphatic the pub next door was the safer option

A buddy pointed out smithers has some of the highest housing prices in the interiour cuz its an indicator that people actualy wana live here

Marmot was skiing fantastically all weekend. Sunday was incredibly quiet, almost nobody on the hill. Ripped some great fresh pow from the bootpack above Knob with the wife all day Sat and then Sunday we had some amazing corduroy for 3 hours until it was gone, then started hitting the trees.

Skied the morning up at Marmot yesterday. Good skiing all around although a bit firm first thing the morning . Great sunny laps in Tres first thing.

And as Stuntmonkey said quiet for any Sunday let alone a holiday weekend.

been biking in invermere for a few days. Winter coming back on Wed. (winter #4?)

And spring again Saturday

Got the family spring break trip done, raged the drive both ways in one day.

March 25 was our first day of skiing, and snow sure seemed pretty thin. Couple of days at SSV, then a day at LL with the kids, and on Thursday I took a bus to ski LL on my own. Nothing much to talk about Monday-Thursday, it was good, teenage girls can be less than enthusiastic ski buddies, had good long days outside, lost my ski on B&C Gully and the brake didn't engage so it went far. I expected little new snow for Friday based on the forecast, and when I woke to 30cm update, started dragging the family out of the bed, and got everyone to the hill before lifts opened. Was pretty awesome morning, and best way to end the week.

Oh yeah, and not providing any updates during the week like a good forum member...sorry about that.
    Last edited by OJ204; 04-03-2024 at 09:11 AM.

7 at LL
    4 at SSV
    15 at the quay and nakiska

Incredible day at SSV. A lot more snow than the plot is showing. Lots of wind transport and free refills every run if you know which runs get it. Get out tomorrow. I highly recommend south side chutes/ R2D2. Get some!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Incredible day at SSV. A lot more snow than the plot is showing. Lots of wind transport and free refills every run if you know which runs get it. Get out tomorrow. I highly recommend south side chutes/ R2D2. Get some!
    He was right.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Both my wife and were born in PG. She grew up there, I was lucky not to.
    Lots of ski touring and sled options out that way. I have a friend in Quesnel and he usually averages 30 pow days a year, none lift served.
    Do you fish? There's lots of options for lake and river fishing in every direction.
    The town smells. And while there are some nice spots in the city, there are some incredibly depressing areas as well. Mrs CA's family still lives up there and we try not to go up there very often.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    I'm new to SSV - south side chutes are obvious, but what/where is R2D2?

It might depend on where you are coming from, I came north from Vangroovy trying to escape my ex-wife and it worked out pretty good

I spent 10 yrs in PG, ime its not that bad a place to land but then again after a day I couldn't smell it

lots of outdoor people an alpine ski crowd ( Powderking/ Purden ) and touring they also all seem to mtn bike/ xc ski/ speed skate

good ww kayaking

PeeG has a university with a teaching med school its got a lot of things to do

I left 18 yrs ago but moosepit who sometimes lurks here is solidly plugged into the PeeG touring scene

Winter isn't dead

Wondering if anyone if free to ski this weekend and would like to maybe join on an epic first descent around Radium hot springs? idk why i can't post photos on here anymore but I can text you. I think conditions may be good to go for something cool. Been starting to map out that area by sinclair creek/olive lake and started a Facebook page called "Ski Radium Hot Springs if you'd like to check out some of the routes.

Also probably skiing banff park or Sunshine village monday/tuesday if anyone wants to link up and shred!
    cheers!