Check Out Our Shop
Page 38 of 105 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Went to the bird at 930, sat in the car until 1030. Took 4 laps and decided that was enough. The skiing was pretty decent but only 2 main lifts open, and howling wind took the fun out of it.

Tomorrow and Sunday are going to be wild, may not even try
    I have concerns regarding this forecast. Holy shit.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

The forecast is calling for 55-87” by Monday at Alta!! 🤯

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

High winds, too. I'm starting to think LCC closes tonight and doesn't reopen until Monday.

It’s a real possibility.

My prediction is they get it open tomorrow, but Sunday is going to be completely fucked. It’s one of those storms where we all hope the totals end up at the low end of the forecast.

I thought today was a nice proper new england day with better condys.

The wind was wild, i got whited out in STH more than once haha. Horsed my way to Peruvian upon open, the wind actually pushed the lift forward haha, you could feel it jump.

Solid day, sorry I missed you YKR.

-Z
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Going out the Hi T today was like paddling against head high+ surf. Wait for the very brief break in the onslaught and go like Hell!! Like Dshack and CB stated, one would be rewarded for such effort. The Boy was primo Peak to Creak!! Hollywood was equally as good! The super, strong NW winds favor those runs. Unfortunately, I took one of the top 4 scariest falls of my life today just above the first set of fences due to vision speed and over confidence with terrain ..... didn't stop till half way down Columbine and some how missed all the trees and rocks to both the right and left. All efforts at self arresting did not work! The High T is a run!!!

Forgot to say, home in 20 mins tonight. #nosnake

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    IDK but there’s something to this for sure. I work weekends all ski season and seem to miss out on a lot of storms. Also miss out on the shitshow and leftovers without that is fine. The last two days were incredible so no complaints here.
    You and me both bro. I just so happen to be working this weekend so I knew it would nuke.

But what happened to the Snowpocalypse we were promised? Is it just delayed? We were s'posed to be inundated today!

https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/81901

Full burial in Porter Fork this morning, I think the worst backcountry avalanche accident in the Wasatch since the guided group in Silver Fork in 2022? Perhaps there have been other full burials since but this seems like a chillingly close call. Report is extremely well written.

Scary. I'm not gonna share my thoughts on this yet, hopefully someone more established here will say what I'm thinking first. I'm not sure id call this well written, it's definitely extensively written though.

Sent from my CPH2417 using Tapatalk

Darwinism.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by crankplank View Post
    Scary. I'm not gonna share my thoughts on this yet, hopefully someone more established here will say what I'm thinking first. I'm not sure id call this well written, it's definitely extensively written though.
    I wouldn't lead with “We did many things right today”

When people are getting carried in Beartrap its time to dial it waaaaaay back for a bit.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Doesn’t seem like the time to be walking the line with this snowpack but IDK anything.

I think Alias is on the right track with the prediction. Canyon open in the morning, a midday closure, then hopefully they get it open again to get everyone who wants to go down.

Sunday all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    When people are getting carried in Beartrap it’s time to dial it waaaaaay back for a bit.
    Quoting this for emphasis….

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Today was a day. Met up with dibs in line and waited for the 10 am opener. Three laps of grabby wind affected snow was…. Skiing

I bailed when they shut jp down again
    never sucks to get changed for the nickle meet a new mag and have em show you the goods and share turns of their home mountain thanks fer waiting for my visually and physically challenged old man ski bum ass
    the u turn moves to skip the snake an entitled. bitch move unworthy of good karma
    hopin to make it into the unitas yurt for the weekend
    ullr bless git sum safely
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

White Pine slide path crossed the road naturally last night.
    Prevented a 2:30 am convoy from going up; short staffed up the LCC now.
    Winds have been blowing steady in the 50's all night gusting to 100 at 10,500' from the WNW.
    Imagine the leeward loading.
    And NWS is calling for 50 to 70" in the next 48 hours?
    Watch yer topknots, fellers.
    Kind of stuff one will trigger from the flats below.
    Let alone the natural cycle that has commenced.
    Thinking of you and yer boys Sfotex.
    Don't risk yer crew for Darwin candidates...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post

But I just have to say that those people that will drive in the right hand lane all the way past the Snowbasin turn off and then flip a quick U-turn and cut in front of 30 minutes of traffic can all go right straight to hell. No different than cutting in line and making it worse for everybody. Maybe I am a sucker, but it just seems like such a dick move.
    I feel the same! Worse because I go that way to get to Powder Mt most mornings and every one assumes I’m doing that dick move but I’m just trying to get by.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Darwinism.
    Succinct and to the point. Reading the report their #4 mistake says a lot.

Actually, terrain choice was the mistake.
    West Porter fork is a giant terrain trap which sees incredible use. Multiple parties in the area, almost lemming like.
    BTW, Beartrap does have avalanche terrain. Catch and carry is called "Three dudes". Short and steep, don't ask how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by utagonian View Post
    I feel the same! Worse because I go that way to get to Powder Mt most mornings and every one assumes I’m doing that dick move but I’m just trying to get by.
    This is so weird People live in Huntsville and need to get by I just go 12th now to avoid it But I prefer the views on trappers loop

Lined up below the gate waiting for road opening
    Should be deep out there with yesterdays closures

See you in the trees

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    Actually, terrain choice was the mistake.
    West Porter fork is a giant terrain trap which sees incredible use. Multiple parties in the area, almost lemming like.
    BTW, Beartrap does have avalanche terrain. Catch and carry is called "Three dudes". Short and steep, don't ask how I know.
    Ding ding, this is the one I was waiting for, and the most conspicuously absent from the report. Choosing to ski islands and lanes of safety in limited visibility on a high danger day is THE mistake, which set the stage for every other mistake. Very thin margins for error out there right now.

NOAA forecast looking like it's for the top of Rainier.

Cops just turned around the entire queue behind the light on wasatch. Haven't seen that before.
    For the record I'm above the light, but I thought it was okay to queue on the shoulder (everyone was in the travel lane but the people that pulled into the shoulder got bounced too).

15 minutes later update: They emptied it 3 times and it filled back up. After a brief 4 cop pow-wow people are queueing on the shoulder
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.