Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    "it was my last try, too!"
    -"You better not try again after we tug you out"

He didn't like that comment much, either.
    That is really a WTF moment - does UPD usually try and drive up ski resorts??

I would not be the least bit surprised if, while trail running or biking, I came across a UPD cruiser half way up any of the resorts. If anything like the cops in my hometown, probably with some highschool blonde they are manipulating into some ol’ fashioned hide the salami

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    He wasn't pleased when I yelled "hey you can't park there" out my window.

Attachment 475099
    This is the best stoke of the season so far.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    This is the best stoke of the season so far.
    The last three pages on parking didn't do it for ya eh?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

hahaha it is technically parking stoke i guess....

maybe tgapp should change the thread title to the wasatch parking thread

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    hahaha it is technically parking stoke i guess....

maybe tgapp should change the thread title to the wasatch parking thread
    Might as well at this point! Seriously though, reading through this thread leaves me confused and stressed out with zero desire to ski up there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Might as well at this point! Seriously though, reading through this thread leaves me confused and stressed out with zero desire to ski up there.
    Well.. the season hasn't really started yet

I have no business starting the season thread but next year I propose we make a stoke and conditions thread and a BCC/LCC bitch thread like the front rangers have. Only other thing that will fix this thread is 2-3" of SWE (and no more) every week until closing day.

Curious to see how the cottonwood traffic hydra rears its head this year. HYPED for another year of whatever we get, hard to believe its only weeks away as we sit in the seasonal waiting room building anticipation. I loved how it just started on halloween and never ended last year, but I also kind of love the way tension ratchets up in november/december waiting for a base to build. Cold sunny days and empty trams for the white ribbon, will this be the worst season ever? Will we get any proper pow days before the Xmas hordes descend? Corn in January?

I'm personally most excited to go tour in some of the ranges to our west this year. Ive got a keen partner looking to hit some new places, and a wife who is actually excited to ride the bird finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Well.. the season hasn't really started yet
    That's fair.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Patience on all fronts.
    Winter always arrives round here.
    Parking is always found. Skiing is always good.
    One of the more dependable places for snowfall, specially in a tweener winter.
    Any positive stoke points gained tgapp?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

who's going to the MSP Movie? I know it's like the third time it's been in the state. I'm excited for a little video stoke to get me through the next two weeks of pre-season.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Here's a rainy day mission for someone better on these machines than me: Find an article about 3 weeks old on ksl quoting an IOC guy saying that there would be no Olympic events in the LCC or BCC. Too much snow.
    I thought it would be a bigger deal than not at all; wasn't a major "point" of the gondola the Olympics and needing an alternative access?

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Here's a rainy day mission for someone better on these machines than me: Find an article about 3 weeks old on ksl quoting an IOC guy saying that there would be no Olympic events in the LCC or BCC. Too much snow.
    I thought it would be a bigger deal than not at all; wasn't a major "point" of the gondola the Olympics and needing an alternative access?

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2023/1...s-coming-into/

Bullock did not offer up any other options for the downhill. He did, however, take some off the table.

The Cottonwood Canyon resorts, particularly Snowbird and Alta Ski Area in Little Cottonwood Canyon, he said, are not an option. As much as that decision has to do with the congestion on State Route 210, Bullock said it’s also an issue of snow. As in, they get too much of it.

“The cottonwoods would never be considered,” he said. “No. 1 is we made a commitment not to put any Olympic events up Little Cottonwood Canyon. And, the Cottonwoods, particularly Little Cottonwood Canyon, get too much snow. …

“When a ski course or snowboard course is prepared, a tremendous amount of work goes into that in terms of contouring and shaping of the hill. And if snow happens, they have to start all over again. It sounds strange, but it’s best to have less frequent snow than the Cottonwoods get in order to have a more predictable course.”

Because it requires so much real estate, the downhill will almost certainly have to be held at a ski resort. For two other relatively new ski events, however, the Salt Lake Valley can literally be their playground.
    Fraser Bullock, the president and CEO of the Salt Lake City-Utah Committee for the Games.

I hate the canyons
    I hate the traffic
    There. I said it. One strike.

Reliable sources were floating rumors that Snowbird was frothing to host an event and the single egress point was a roadblock to that, but AFAIK there was never an official public statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I hate the canyons
    I hate the traffic
    There. I said it. One strike.
    Can't stop, won't stop. Where's my spoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Reliable sources were floating rumors that Snowbird was frothing to host an event and the single egress point was a roadblock to that, but AFAIK there was never an official public statement.

Can't stop, won't stop. Where's my spoon?
    Snowbird never went public with their desire to hold an Olympic event. It’s my understanding that they’d also like to host a World Cup event, but the schedule is full for the next decade.

Good interview with UTA ski bus lead on this year's status. I didn't fully follow it but UTA now actually rebating resorts for private employee shuttles since bus blows. Also some gondi talk.
    https://saltlake.citycast.fm/podcast...ss-this-winter

Demand UDOT Instead of Politicians Control Traction Sign Policy in the Cottonwoods

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/521/294/415/

Seems like common sense?
    Montani Semper Liberi

Thanks NBABucks1.
    Saying the same thing, but the ksl article had an IOC guy saying that and more.
    Thought it woulda produced a bigger reaction locally.
    Fact is, there are no homologated hills for Olympic events at this time in BCC and the LCC. Cutting and dozing would be needed to create events.

On a different note, if Vail owned Brighton and Alta they would connect a Gondi from the private land of Park City and connect to upper BCC and the LCC.
    Through Guardsman's and Twin Lakes Pass.
    And Laughlin jr. isn't so true to style as his forebearers were bout keeping Alta like the old days...
    Would that concept be so bad considering current travel times?
    I dunno. Whadya all think?

Thanks NBABucks1.
    Saying the same thing, but the ksl article had an IOC guy saying that and more.
    Thought it woulda produced a bigger reaction locally.
    Fact is, there are no homologated hills for Olympic events at this time in BCC and the LCC. Cutting and dozing would be needed to create events.

On a different note, if Vail owned Brighton and Alta they would connect a Gondi from the private land of Park City and connect to upper BCC and the LCC.
    And Laughlin jr. isn't so true to style as his forebearers were bout keeping Alta like the old days...
    I think that would change my opinion on whether I’d ever consider living up in PC…

I don't understand how giving PC access to LCC/BCC would do anything more than raise prices, increase lift waits, increase backcountry crowds, and overtax a couple small canyons. There would be a ton of people flooding in from the PC side. I thought we wanted to solve the problem of overcrowding our scarce resources? More people in an overcrowded underdeveloped area is not a solution, it's a nightmare.

Sure it'll give those poor PC locals a better commute and all their 2 million annual skier visitors an easy way to wake up and casually access the cottonwoods on days it dumps out there and not PC, but was that ever a problem needing to be solved? I like the thought of connecting ski areas, but in this instance it sounds like a REALLY bad idea.

Mike Maughan made these comments at the September Town Council meeting. His comment about bus service being a challenge is an understatement. Maybe the resorts can push UDOT / UPD or whoever to start enforcing traction regulations.

Mike also mentioned that while bus service is an
    option, it poses its own challenges, especially during adverse weather conditions. Instead, he expressed
    more optimism about other solutions such as traction control, keeping the main line open, and the
    possibility of closing uphill traffic for a few hours on weekends and holidays to alleviate traffic
    congestion in the area. He said he may come back at some point requesting the council’s support on a letter.

I think that you would be surprised about how few people would utilize the connection from PC to BCC and fewer yet to LCC. That would mean a twenty plus minute wait from the bus to the resort. Twenty 30 plus minutes from the base of PCMR to the connection lift, 30 plus from the connection lift to B-RIGHT-ON and then another 20+ to Alta. Not many people who are rich spoiled and dropping mega$$$ to stay in PC would want to two hours and more to get from their hotel to ski the cottonwoods when they can drive and be there in less than 1/2 the time. Moreover, many, if not most of the tourists visiting Park City are flatlanders who travel with their families to visit a winter wonderland with good (not Alta/Bird good) skiing, restaurants, spas, slednecking, nordic and more. Most who come to PC are dentists who want to ski the big bad west and then brag about it to their friends at the country club. Just look at the Jup and 9990 lifts. Usually walk on and hardly ever a line. For PC skiers from FL., NC, NY and NJ those two peaks are enough for them There is no reason for a lot of them to slide on anything more than PCMR/DV. A lot would not be more at home in the cottonwoods. As for me, a Parkite, I would rather drive my veh. to the Collins lot any day (other than weekends) than do through a connection from PC to LCC.
    OTOH, if the public transportation could get me from the base of the Can. to Alta in 35, then I would be a taker, but that will not happen in my lifetime
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Here is some stoke from yesterday's storm. Hiked/Skinned to the top of the kitty. Found soft snow all the way down. 3" The main grassy areas are the place to ski.

Heard from many folks that rode main chute. One Betty said that the entrance was terrifying. But after that the turns were good to go.

The rock garden below is real and I would not mess with it. Saw a snowboarder take a horrendous fall in rocks and boulders. Would not recommend.

There is a huge kicker down at the base with a PVC rail. Send it Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231107_224504572.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	475401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231107_221429839.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	475402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231107_225848018.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	475403

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Hey kind folk (i just know you'll be kind) I'm much more familiar with Colorado as a solo usually last minute storm chasing traveler; familiar with the nauseating mess of I-70, best way to avoid all that I find is a Monarch season pass, but ....

Will finally have a chance to ski with my grown sons, stay in SLC and ski Brighton, Soli, Snowbird (yep, Ikon) planning ahead for some reason seems important to them. Ten years since I've skied BCC and LCC, mostly hitchhiked up from the Park and Rides then as I recall.

Question: mid season weekends how viable are the buses, do they usually fill and leave you standing at a stop watching a packed bus go by without you/? How early do they fill, first bus out? My strategy is to try to get to either Sandy station or Midvale/ft. union in time for for an early bus and NOT the park and ride lots, does that strategy help? I don't even want to fuck with driving up and parking a rental car.

Raising a glass (mug) to a 900in. season
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits