Check Out Our Shop
Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    MHM having a bit of a bad day today

No kidding... I hope they get power back and resolve whatever maintenance issues with SSX by tomorrow. I expect nothing less than knee deep powduh and countury club skiing.

Bachelor got off to a slow start with PMX and Red on windhold, Which meant my hopes of first chair on Red were dashed. Quick shuttle to Sunrise and over to Cloud and that 1" of fresh overnight. Decided to head back over to West Village and got some nice turns coming down Olympia. Quick break and Red popped as I came out of the lodge.

Ended up getting first tracks down Red and after 2 runs on Red, PMX popped. Got a few runs around Coffee and Tippy Toe, then shared a chair with a Bachelor maintenance crew member and heard her radio crackling of OBX getting primed to go. So, took a quick break in Pine lodge and upon exiting, the sign had just been flipped, and it was on once again. No lift lines to speak of over on the West side. Many times rode solo or with just one other fellow enthusiast. Snow was coming down and on the heavier side of things. But made for great carving and high speed turns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red_310.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	893.5 KB 
ID:	489994  
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Well played. Spring conditions arriving this week.

Quote Originally Posted by boar2m View Post
    No kidding... I hope they get power back and resolve whatever maintenance issues with SSX by tomorrow. I expect nothing less than knee deep powduh and countury club skiing.
    Welp, looks like that will have to wait until Tuesday or later.

Yep I see that - Meadows website indicating they will not open Heather and private reserve on Monday. And HRM and Star express are still down. Hmm, what’s going on? Don’t they have diesel backup on HRM and Star?

Yep I see that - Meadows website indicating they will not open Heather and private reserve on Monday. And HRM and Star express are still down. Hmm, what’s going on? Don’t they have diesel backup on HRM and Star?
    HRM backup was down, star was out due to some pretty gnarly wind. PR is going to be a gnarly sheet tomorrow. It was wetpack from the forest park offshoot to the bottom of hrm.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

swell...

Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post
    HRM backup was down, star was out due to some pretty gnarly wind. PR is going to be a gnarly sheet tomorrow. It was wetpack from the forest park offshoot to the bottom of hrm.

Thanks for the info! Makes the decision easy for tomorrow

Snow was good in places at Meadows today. 3 & 4 bowls skied great. Lots of soft-ish snow there. Trees were good all over the frontside. Snow was decidedly all over tho… great up top where it wasn’t scraped bare to the boilerplate, alright in the middle and started getting gloppy at the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	490171

Is anyone here an above-average-intelligence expert skier from racing or teaching experience?

I'm trying to level up my understanding of skiing physics fundamentals and booked a splurgy private lesson in a few weeks with a PSIA divional staff guy who seems like he really knows his stuff.

I've taken several physics classes in college, so I've got a strong foundation on regular Newtonian Dynamics, but I'm looking for some skiing-specific resources and homework I can do before my lesson so I can come in with a little more theory and get the most of it.

Thx

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Skibowla

Last night

Can’t speak for others but high altitude math confuses me… This has worked for me though - go straight really fast and when something gets in the way, turn! You are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by allmountainsnowskating View Post
    Is anyone here an above-average-intelligence expert skier from racing or teaching experience?

I'm trying to level up my understanding of skiing physics fundamentals and booked a splurgy private lesson in a few weeks with a PSIA divional staff guy who seems like he really knows his stuff.

I've taken several physics classes in college, so I've got a strong foundation on regular Newtonian Dynamics, but I'm looking for some skiing-specific resources and homework I can do before my lesson so I can come in with a little more theory and get the most of it.

Thx

That'll be the instructors job they should be able to look at you and tell you the movements necessary to fix yer shit.

The book Ultimate skiing has some physics based descriptions. Might be dated now as modern technique has changed along with skis.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Thx

Go here.
    https://www.skitalk.com/whats-new/posts/4502318/
    yepper

Can’t speak for others but high altitude math confuses me… This has worked for me though - go straight really fast and when something gets in the way, turn! You are welcome
    Thanks for the pro tip! Yeah, all I really understand is that your body's force must balance out the ground's reaction force, and the inclination and angle of your ski makes you turn. But apparantly, there's a whole rabbit hole to it that the pro ski racers get into.

Last month, I had to learn to monoski at an expert level in a very short amount of time for an event, and that very little bit of knowledge made it happen. It makes me wonder what I'm capable of (for skateboard racing contests) if I actually had some real understanding.

Thx

PM bushwacka

Thanks for the pro tip! Yeah, all I really understand is that your body's force must balance out the ground's reaction force, and the inclination and angle of your ski makes you turn. But apparantly, there's a whole rabbit hole to it that the pro ski racers get into.

Last month, I had to learn to monoski at an expert level in a very short amount of time for an event, and that very little bit of knowledge made it happen. It makes me wonder what I'm capable of (for skateboard racing contests) if I actually had some real understanding.

KISS method.
    Name:  20201112_152930.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  17.2 KB
    yepper

Oregon ‘23-‘24 El Niño Schralpadelic Rumble Thread

I'm worthless but check out @alfonsoeae on Instagram

Edit: nerding out on this a bit....

The carv video done with Ted ligety is also great, but it'd be more interesting to see some of the actual pressure data.

Anyone interested in a group carv unit in 265? One pair and a lot of "training days" with good selection of skiers could show a lot.

Last edited by skithewest; 03-11-2024 at 11:16 PM.

NWS out of Portland has changed its watch and warning zones. They have carved the much larger of old into many more micro climates. For instance there is now the ability to give a storm or flood warning to just downtown Portland.

https://www.weather.gov/pqr/newforecastzones

I guess the project goal was to be able to better capture all our little micro climates with the varying elevations and the East Wind factor.
    This is interesting because we will get more specific warnings, but as Rod Hill of KGW pointed out, we may not get the alerts from our neighboring zones which we may be traveling to. Maybe they will still push them to the broader area?

thx for sharing that

Bachelor is about to get invaded once again… I see TBS jumping with joy in anticipation!
    https://nwskiers.org/trips/2024/3/13...c-club-members

I’m not a part of the group but I plan to ski Meadows on Wed. and head on over Bend for Bach spring skiing on Thursday and Friday. Looking forward to getting some lessons on the KISS method ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by interloper View Post
    Name:  20201112_152930.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  17.2 KB

Bachelor is about to get invaded once again… I see TBS jumping with joy in anticipation!
    https://nwskiers.org/trips/2024/3/13...c-club-members

I’m not a part of the group but I plan to ski Meadows on Wed. and head on over Bend for Bach spring skiing on Thursday and Friday. Looking forward to getting some lessons on the KISS method ;-)
    That's tbs dept. Yeah he's sideways...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240311_080103.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	790.3 KB 
ID:	490258
    yepper

Still absolutely dumping at meadows when I left at 10. Tomorrow will be a good day