Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 23-24

Opening day report: Low tide coral reef conditions, but not as bad as expected. Skied a couple inbounds laps and a couple lower mountain off piste laps. Lots of rocks/ditches/logs/stumps. Skied to Olympic station via expressway (out of bounds but doable).

I didn’t put the skins on, but all the sign lines were open. From the roundhouse looking up: North winds were howling up high with big plumes of reverse loading on the peaks. There’s an obvious open crevasse in Whistler bowl directly below the easiest entrance. There’s a weird shape that could be a crevasse in the entrance to Glacier Bowl in the middle of the Saddle. Tracks down Shale Slope and tracks on Highway 86

Similar on blackcomb, felt like somewhat of a crust so most runs were skiable even though only two were officially open. Saw some questionable sends around Cafe Cliffs.
    Signs open, tracks in couloir and bushrat. Thin but not as bad as a few years ago in there.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Saw some questionable sends around Cafe Cliffs.
    You can't be out for the whole season if you don't injure yourself on day one!

Shorter than line-ups on Everest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundhouse whis.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	477230

Only weak skiers take the gondola down.

This was one of the best days this season!

Candide Thovex would have skied to the village.

There are multiple open crevasses in Whistler Bowl

Best of the worst Whistler holidays crowds: Can ski NYE weekend or MLK w/e. What would you pick?

MLK FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

Ya I feel like MLK half the people that come up are university students that don't even bring gear and get so banged up they aren't on the mountain anyways. That would be my vote as well between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedthesailor View Post
    Ya I feel like MLK half the people that come up are university students that don't even bring gear and get so banged up they aren't on the mountain anyways. That would be my vote as well between the two.
    Yeahhh more than a little PTSD from being one of those university students long ago, but I couldn't remember if the crowds were worse on the hill or in the bar...

Better snow for MLK. If priority is apres, then NYE.

Skied Blackcomb yesterday with the family, didn't really think about just how low the tide was till we started up the gondola. Man we need snow.

I'll be up this weekend, probably won't ski till Sunday. Come on, Ullr, please deliver!

Looks like an incoming pineapple. Really hope it doesnt go full nuclear freezing levels, but i'm seeing 2500m+

Yeah, here's the forecast discussion for Seattle. Sounds pretty tropical next week:
    A very weak brief ridge subtly influences the region on Monday
    before a low over the Gulf of Alaska protrudes through W WA.
    Ensembles are hinting at a very moist southwesterly flow being
    tapped in from the Pacific and pulling it right into our region.
    Models are trying to signal a potential atmospheric river through
    the remainder of the long term, although ensemble and
    deterministic guidance vary on intensity and location. These
    details will likely be monitored over the next couple of days.
    So clear, then snow Thursday through Sunday(?), then rain after that. Seems like El Nino might be doing its thing.

Did get out and get some pow over the weekend, trying to avoid all the sharks.
    Horstman/Blkcmb glaciers and out the bumps to Whirlwind.
    Great night and Full Moon shred out at the Russet hotel.
    Still some isolated pockets of good snow Monday, the Bumps seem like the best bang for the buck.
    N chutes of Flute alright-just take yer rock skis.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Attachment 477740

Name:	Image1701286546.394454.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	477741

Name:	Image1701286583.524510.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1,002.1 KB 
ID:	477742

Name:	Image1701286640.983057.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	477743

Name:	Image1701286693.382735.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	477745

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Nice work! Hut must be a good time right now with the low snow

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, here's the forecast discussion for Seattle. Sounds pretty tropical next week:

So clear, then snow Thursday through Sunday(?), then rain after that. Seems like El Nino might be doing its thing.
    December just starts today. A lot can change in a few weeks - it's still early. Positive thoughts!

Good enough!
    Still a little spicy, S side w a crust but underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

got a couple laps in yesterday aft and nice snow conditions in between the sharks Boomer and T-Bars. Skied out to Creekside with minimal damage, although I'm sure the pineapple may reduce that option in the near term.

Pretty spicy out there. Had loads of settlements touring up towards bodybag on Saturday. Initial plan of wrapping around to the glacier nixed. Very little coverage around bodybag. DOA looks to be a 30m downclimb to exit the couloir. Sunset out had multiple open creeks. Still a good time ripping around with some nice afternoon sun. Patrol buddy told me of multiple remote and sympathetic releases on AC, so hopefully we get 1.5m of spackle in the alpin.

Ski season is back in session! Glad I got 3 days to work the ski legs. Saturday was the best. Amazing what 20 cm of fresh can do. And the views of the sunlight hitting the valley clouds on the weekend ... stunning. Now that I have a new pair of inbound skis, I need to remember that my old planks are now my early season/rock skis which I should have brought instead. And as soon as the winter tires come on, I need to put my snow brush and ice scraper in the car. Clearing off snow sucked Saturday morning without.

Not quite Whistler, but it looks like Garibaldi at Squamish might be done for:-

A receiver is being appointed after two companies involved in the delayed development of a ski and snowboard resort near Squamish defaulted on loans.

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Paul Walker heard the petition from Aquilini Development LP (ADLP), Garibaldi Resort Management Co. Ltd. (GRMC),and 1413994 B.C. Ltd. on Monday in Vancouver.

They applied for the appointment of Ernst & Young to manage Garibaldi at Squamish LP (GAS LP) and Garibaldi at Squamish Inc. (GAS Inc.).

Walker said he was “satisfied the order should go” and set Jan. 15 as the next court date.

The petition was filed Sept. 22, almost two months after the lawyers for the petitioners demanded immediate payment of the $65 million owing as of May 31, including interest and legal costs.

“GAS has failed or neglected to pay the amount demanded (or any part thereof) to the petitioners,” said the petition.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/460...quamish#460759