Using Technology To Research The Avalanche Problem

Hello everyone, I am an avid technologist in addition to being an extreme skier with an ongoing interest in snow science. I wanted to use this thread to open up a brainstorming and academic discussion of the different possibilities that would exist, or could exist, to use technology to conduct avalanche and snow science research. I am sure there are many different opinions and perspectives on this issue. Certainly, I agree that the old-fashioned way is important, but I believe that we can and should use technology to save lives where possible. If anyone has any ideas about how technology can reduce the total cost of avalanches, in terms of lives or lost resources (including time), then please share it with this thread. I will provide a basic summary of my own position to begin the discussion.

Finding Effective Solutions in Code:

To date, I have written something over five hundred lines of object oriented code (Java and Python) to study snowpack mechanics and slide conditions. This code was to be used in mobile skiing applications. Essentially, by playing the skiing game on your tablet or phone you would be engaging the program such that the code was studying snow science. Basic meteorology and snowpack formation was included in these programs. I would like to contribute at least a thousand lines of code in total to this problem. In addition to this, there is the possibility of web development. For example, I wrote custom html for a webpage that was designed to study the ins and outs of how the general public views and approaches the reality of avalanches in addition to their interest level in the subject. This is an important question with regards to how the general public would use and access avalanche terrain whether in or out of bounds.

Options for further research: Assembly Language Programming
    Developing cloud applications to be used for avalanche research
    Utilizing blockchain to study avalanches

Question: Is the old fashioned way still the best way?

Anyways, all your professional thoughts are welcome on this matter :-)

my dad liked old fashioned, never cared for ‘em myself. more of a joint and a utica club guy.

Name:  IMG_4792.jpeg
Views: 1029
Size:  30.5 KB

fact.

Can you get sick drinkin piss?

only one way ta find out.

Unlikely that you can forecast avalanches with 1000 lines of code

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Looking for a technological fix to a behavioural problem.
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)

I'll bite.

What, exactly, are your 1000 lines of code actually doing to "study snow science" that hasn't been done before?

There's a shit ton of active research into technology based solutions to help more accurately predict avalanches. LIDAR, computer modeling, data analysis of human decision making, more. Have you attended a professional avalanche workshop like ISSW to see some of the stuff that's going on? Talked to the folks at one of the universities with snow science programs like University of Montana?

I'm not convinced the OP isn't sponsored by ChatGPT...

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I'm not convinced the OP isn't sponsored by ChatGPT...
    To be fair, there are potential applications of natural language AI in writing formulaic travel/problem summary statements in avalanche forecasting.

OP -- if your'e not AI -- Adrenlated is spot on. ISSW is in Bend this year. A majority of the folks who are working in this space (snowpack modeling, weather modeling, remote sensing, data viz of wx/avalanche data, analytics on comprehension of public avalanche products) will be there. Most of them have not only written several tens of thousands of lines of code, but--typically--have a decade+ of operational avalanche mitigation/forecasting experience as well.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 08-08-2023 at 09:51 PM.

A friend who did his graduate work in Norway says satellites hold great promise for monitoring snowpacks and predicting avalanche activity. Not our current satellite network, but a much denser network.

You earned this when you bumped every fatality report in this sub-forum for no apparent reason. Fuck off kook.Name:  Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 07-28-09 Using Technology To Research The Avalanche Problem.png
Views: 984
Size:  15.4 KB
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

If it were actual humans or some other entity associate with actual humans that does the forecasts/risk assessments the families of people who die skiing where they thought it was safe will be lining up to sue those humans..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    You earned this when you bumped every fatality report in this sub-forum for no apparent reason. Fuck off kook.Name:  Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 07-28-09 Using Technology To Research The Avalanche Problem.png
Views: 984
Size:  15.4 KB
    Well fuck i guess I need to check activity closer before posting. Fuck off 2 pole

But guys... He's an extreme skier. Shouldn't that earn some respect of the TRGs??

Another aspect of using technology to study and control the avalanche problem could be TGR (Forums included) itself. If we integrate our understanding of the weather into the avalanche problem then we gain further control over the situation. I myself have experimented with this method on TGR with the Eagle Peak Ski Resort thread (and its secret purpose of creating snow). https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...eak+Ski+Resort This would be a similar process to using cloud architecture to study how weather effects the avalanche season.

Yeah but then someone uses technology to program bots to post on ski forums, it's madness.