Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Has anyone tried to build the jig in Europe (Switzerland or Italy)? It's almost impossible to find all the components here, or maybe I just don't know where to look.
    Always Fight Gravity

Anything in particular you are having trouble with?
    The 2020 profiles and most of the fasteners should be available.

The rubber is not really necessary if you don't mind clamping the jig or templates in place. I believe someone commented that that some skinnier road bike inner tubes will work for the grips too.

If you have a printer and don't mind re-printing templates when they wear out, you don't need the brass sleeves.
    If you want some sort of drill bushing, something at 9mm OD x 0.5mm wall should work depending on the tolerances.
    I would think you should be able to find some stainless hydraulic tubing in that size, just make sure its seamless. (I'm pretty sure this is what ATK uses in their jigs)
    This aluminum tube works and I might switch to it for the ones I make, but K&S is still a US company and may not be easily available in Europe: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I want to let everyone know that MottN is truly an asset to this community! Generous, responsive and a true tech guru!
    Rock on MottN!!!
    More cowbell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MottN View Post
    Anything in particular you are having trouble with?
    The 2020 profiles and most of the fasteners should be available.

The rubber is not really necessary if you don't mind clamping the jig or templates in place. I believe someone commented that that some skinnier road bike inner tubes will work for the grips too.

If you have a printer and don't mind re-printing templates when they wear out, you don't need the brass sleeves.
    If you want some sort of drill bushing, something at 9mm OD x 0.5mm wall should work depending on the tolerances.
    I would think you should be able to find some stainless hydraulic tubing in that size, just make sure its seamless. (I'm pretty sure this is what ATK uses in their jigs)
    This aluminum tube works and I might switch to it for the ones I make, but K&S is still a US company and may not be easily available in Europe: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Nothing in particular. I just went to the local hardware store and none of the pieces is available.
    Anyway thanks a lot mottN! I'll try and follow your suggestions.
    Always Fight Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by teosickrider View Post
    Nothing in particular. I just went to the local hardware store and none of the pieces is available.
    Anyway thanks a lot mottN! I'll try and follow your suggestions.
    You should be able to find fasteners that will work at a hardware store, but might be more of a specialty one that has lots of fasteners.
    2020 bars and t-slot nuts would likely have to be ordered.

Drill inserts if you want them might take the most hunting for....might be available at the right specialty hardware store
    If there was a European Mcmaster-Carr I'm sure you could order everything there, but I haven't heard that such a place exists.

So I'm thinking of upgrading my ender 3 to a bambu of some sort, would anyone be interested in a pretty cheap ender 3 with some bells and whistles? Upgraded heat break + grow enclosure for printing higher temp materials and BLtouch included. Print your own mottn templates! PM me if interested.

Also for anyone with some bambu printer experience, is the x1c really worth the extra $$$ over the p1s?

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Also for anyone with some bambu printer experience, is the x1c really worth the extra $$$ over the p1s?
    Probably not unless you are wanting to print a lot of nylon or ASA/ABS. I have an X1C but I got before they offered the p1p and p1s.
    Also the A1 is a really good printer and I like it better in some ways than the x1....I think they are set to start selling them again towards the end of April.
    Either way I would highly recommend getting an AMS even if you don't think you will do much multicolor printing - Its a huge quality of life improvement.

100% agree with getting the AMS

Quote Originally Posted by troth View Post
    100% agree with getting the AMS
    Can you expand on the quality of life improvements? Especially if we plan only using one color? Im considering an A1 mini but the AMS adds more than 50% cost ($250->$400) to that and seems hard to justify if I dont plan on doing multicolor printing.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    Can you expand on the quality of life improvements? Especially if we plan only using one color? Im considering an A1 mini but the AMS adds more than 50% cost ($250->$400) to that and seems hard to justify if I dont plan on doing multicolor printing.
    If you are only ever going to print with 1 filament type and 1 color then the AMS is not necessary. Lets say you plan to do one print with black, then the next print with green, then the next print with red all you will have to do is clear the print bed. No messing around with loading and unloading filament. It all depends on how often you print and how many different colors/types of filament you plan to use. For me the AMS is really nice but it might not be for your use case. You can always add and AMS later as well.

If you don't plan on doing multicolor printing probably the big advantage is that it can automatically swap to another spool if your first one runs out mid print

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Mounted Oazo 8s a couple of weeks ago using this jig. Everything was spot on with the jig MottN printed for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6302.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	678.3 KB 
ID:	492663

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardsSki View Post
    Mounted Oazo 8s a couple of weeks ago using this jig. Everything was spot on with the jig MottN printed for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6302.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	678.3 KB 
ID:	492663
    I mounted the exact same set up!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just finished mounting MTNs. Heel template is missing hole for brake but got a template from wild snow to add the extra hole.

Also just saw this concept and it looks interesting: https://fugeskis.com/evolve-se/.

I like the idea of it being universal and I think it could easily be adapted to what motto has already put together.

MottN, do you have any G3 ION plates that you can sell to me?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Just finished mounting MTNs. Heel template is missing hole for brake but got a template from wild snow to add the extra hole.

Also just saw this concept and it looks interesting: https://fugeskis.com/evolve-se/.

I like the idea of it being universal and I think it could easily be adapted to what motto has already put together.
    This is rad. Especially like the pin for boot center / mounting point. But $500+??

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    MottN, do you have any G3 ION plates that you can sell to me?
    I'm not sure I have any already printed or not, but I can print and send some if not. I will send you a PM.

Can you send me the template that has the brake hole? I will add to mine.
    I believe I used Knut's MTN template, and then found some verification the pattern seemed correct. I don't personally have any MTN bindings.

Yeah the Fuge jig looks very nice, but I'm not sure what exactly the market is. 500 seems more expensive than most people would spend and it seems far to manual and slow for any shop to use.
    You have to adjust each hole separately and they aren't self centering, only the jig as a whole is. That sound tedious to me to the point where you aren't really too much ahead of a paper template and a drill guide if you can set a quick centerline with the jig (which I don't think you can with that one).

Here's the wildsnow template for the MTN: https://wildsnow.com/backcountry-ski...ckland-mtn.pdf
    I think most people are probably mounting brakeless though.

Re Fuge: $500 is def ridiculoous, all the more reason to try DIY it. I agree though that it is probably too slow for shops but I think it will work for the individual. I like how you just use whatever binding your mounting to set up the jig. This way you dont have to spend any time looking up dimensions or printing a new template, you just align the holes and drill. I currently have 5 sets of plates that Ive printed for Mottns jig but I think this design has potential.

Yeah a sort of universal template does sound nice for some situations. I'm sure its possible to make one that fits my jig. I might play around with the idea a bit.
    I also still want to make a printable template library that is compatible with Jigarex, but I haven't been able to find one locally to borrow yet.

I did recently (in the last week or so) update the jig files, and writeup/description. I have a few more things to do on my short term todo list, and have been meaning to post a mini update and update the photos and stuff in the initial post.

Things in general are a bit beefier and the bars sit lower down so the templates are more securely held.

Edit: not sure why it won't let me attach photos.
    https://i.imgur.com/vck18rG.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/8Jlayig.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/WFXHKGT.jpg
    Last edited by MottN; 04-28-2024 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MottN View Post
    Yeah a sort of universal template does sound nice for some situations. I'm sure its possible to make one that fits my jig. I might play around with the idea a bit.
    I also still want to make a printable template library that is compatible with Jigarex, but I haven't been able to find one locally to borrow yet.

I did recently (in the last week or so) update the jig files, and writeup/description. I have a few more things to do on my short term todo list, and have been meaning to post a mini update and update the photos and stuff in the initial post.

Things in general are a bit beefier and the bars sit lower down so the templates are more securely held.

Edit: not sure why it won't let me attach photos.
    https://i.imgur.com/WFXHKGT.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/8Jlayig.jpeg
    https://i.imgur.com/vck18rG.jpeg
    This looks great. Fixed literally all of my issues with the previous design.

Thanks for getting that G3 jig to me so quickly. Not exactly sure what to do with the separate small plastic bag with parts...but I'll figure it out. I think that they have something to do with the new end grips.?.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Thanks for getting that G3 jig to me so quickly. Not exactly sure what to do with the separate small plastic bag with parts...but I'll figure it out. I think that they have something to do with the new end grips.?.
    That was toe pin springs for the g3 and some spares and the heel stop.
    It should look sort of like this:https://i.imgur.com/WFXHKGT.jpg

I finally got myself this jig printed and I must say I am very impressed with the design. Thank you.

On my first test mount I thought the jig was a bit off from the center line, but it turned out my ski center finding skills stuck. I thought a nice improvement would be to add lines to the plates to visually verify the jig is centered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I finally got myself this jig printed and I must say I am very impressed with the design. Thank you.

On my first test mount I thought the jig was a bit off from the center line, but it turned out my ski center finding skills stuck. I thought a nice improvement would be to add lines to the plates to visually verify the jig is centered.
    That is the intent of the notches in the end jig parts and each template.