Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Thanks all! Is Air Canada the only game in town?
    Air Canada is famous for not putting your skis on your plane with you but instead they send them on another plane the next day. It is so bad that when I worked at a ski shop at Sun Peaks we had an Air Canada billing/voucher system as part of our shop's computer software.

Air Canada only to Smithers right now.

However, if you fly into Terrace you can get Westjet.

I would suggest flying into Terrace, I think you can pick up a vehicle from National in Terrace and drop it in Smithers and vice-versa for the trip back.

Otherwise, yes it is Air Canada. But check flights, I just booked a Vancouver trip end of November - it was basically the same price out of Terrace or Vancouver. There was a time there when it was cheaper to drive the two hours to Terrace than to fly from Smithers.

It may still be that way depending on where you are flying from.

yeah it might be much cheaper flying into Terrace or " ripped bum" as it is sometimes refered to

my theory is that AC can charge whatever they want into smithers cuz being more or less the seat of gov for this corner of the province there a constant parade of govy workers headed to victoria who just pay it and submit the expense, they don't care cuz the taxpayer foots the bill

as for freight you never know, which is why i suggest getting here early I think AC are flying dash 8-400's now but when they were flying the 200's the plane as configured could not carry all the luggage the passengers are entitled to bring so they would leave off skis/ fishing gear/ hunting gear to make weight

there would be 30 Cat/ heli/ BC skiers a week being inconvenienced and AC didnt give a fuck. I pointed this out to the mayor and she said " i'm just glad they still fly here "

I've picked up burnie skiers the night before the helo in where the skis did not make it, BC skiers tend to be pretty chill but the cat skiers were extremely irate with Colleen the poor contract AC rep

and Tom the guide was ultra chill, he said " they have left my skis so many times I don't care anymore, it just means i don't have to carry them into the Storks nest and AC will deliver them to the silver king heli base in the AM
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah it might be much cheaper flying into Terrace or " ripped bum" as it is sometimes refered to
    Rip bum Al. Get it right if you're going to make shit up.

Yeah may be easier to fly in and out of YXT but sort of depends: what day you're coming and leaving, are you renting a car, planning on skiing Shames (given 4 day a week sched), and/or skiing hanken Evelyn, skiing Hudson's Bay, etc. There's a few factors to consider.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

engrish is like my second language

even tho I'm from Burnaby eh

I know our man does a lot of good work up there but how does he rate all those reserved parking spaces exactly!

I shall begin to draft a strongly worded letter!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angle Parking.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	468.7 KB 
ID:	475433

Hey AP, wanna carpool?

AP got all those signs when the Chandler park school closed down, i think it means milfs can't park worth a damn

Years of lobbying have finally paid off!! I was hoping they would name the new magic carpet lift after me but I'll gladly settle for a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I know our man does a lot of good work up there but how does he rate all those reserved parking spaces exactly!

I shall begin to draft a strongly worded letter!

Name:	Angle Parking.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	468.7 KB 
ID:	475433

Hey AP, wanna carpool?
    Haha! Well played!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Heading up this way in Jan, and this thread is killer, thx much all!
    We're going Burnie, and then time for HB and Shames.
    Didnt know about Hanken, so gonna work that in for sure.
    We fly into Terrace on the Thurs 630ish pm landing AC flight, then drive to Smithers for Fri mid-day heli into Burnie. But now I'm a bit nervous that skis don't make the flight based on weight... [nervous face emoji]

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    We fly into Terrace on the Thurs 630ish pm landing AC flight, then drive to Smithers for Fri mid-day heli into Burnie. But now I'm a bit nervous that skis don't make the flight based on weight... [nervous face emoji]
    I don't think your skis not making the flight is based on weight; it's based more on Air Canada incompetence and not giving a shit. I suggest having a backup plan, checking to see if the heli company offers skis to their clients, many do.

in the past its been using an airplane that was too small but that shouldnt shouldn't be a problem weight wise but sometimes if you are flying out of somewhere that requires 4 connections the skis might be on a different flight,

make sure you carry on your boots mine fit in my 40 L ski pack

its only 45 min to the p-lot but you need 4x4 and good tires into Hankin

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    If AC does not load your skis they will get them to Smithers ro you via ground transport.If the skis don't make it for the heli transfer they will fly them into Burnie for you.... if you squawk loudly about it!

Of course best for all of this not to happen!

yeah that ^^ usually AC will pay the 1200 $ to heli skis in when you flew into smithers

not sure how it would play if you flew into Ripbum, the 2 hr ground transport to Silver king is another layer of FUBAR

but yes its best not to happen so come early

in spite of what your wife sez
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-09-2023 at 11:11 AM.

https://www.facebook.com/shames.mountain

https://www.facebook.com/shames.moun...iDYVgTz9kfq55l

First annual uphill shred fest!! Get up here Smithers guys, bring the camper. Bring the skis, bring the kids. My band is playing the lodge at around 5 on Saturday. Supposed to snow 40cms in the next 3 days and there's already a bit of a base forming so by the 18th it should be totally good to go.
    Activities on the Saturday and the Sunday (lots of stuff for the kids on Sunday). Lodge will be open all day Saturday and Sunday (first time EVER pre season!!!!). Just do it!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

wow Talk about coming early ^^

headed for mexico, not gona make it

^^^ Wow, encouraging on AC above, thx again. And yes, will wear travel in ski clothes and carry boots on!

Right on Tang! Look forward to meeting and skiing with you. Hopefully skiing. Got some knee issues (both) that are going to require knife so crossing fingers for an early season. Having said that, I won't turn down any dates with my knee guy.

Edit to add - note to AP and Hutz. Get over here guys, as mentioned to Tang, my season is a little iffy.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Gary - First, best of luck on knee! Second, much thanks on offer to meet up and ski - I’ll reach out as we get closer. Will be 3 of us - me, brother, buddy. Thx again and good luck!

https://festivalif3.com/en/film-guid...kin_evolution/

It must have been 6-7 years ago the Switchback guys were 1st here trying to film the Hankin story, it just never quite came together but apparently Salomon still wanted the story so it finaly got made

look for it

Name:	spider dog.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	476125

Very thin at Ashman.

It's snow though!? Hey you coming this weekend to shames? should be lots of snow. uphill shredfest. lodge is open (like first time ever pre season) for drinks and food. get out the early season stiffness. kid events on sunday. camp out.

Yeah, i'm a big salesman. I know. Hey ski bums came here and played a sausage party.

maybe this vid works..
    https://photos.google.com/direct/AF1...X5PkPh-w?pli=1

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    It's snow though!? Hey you coming this weekend to shames? should be lots of snow. uphill shredfest. lodge is open (like first time ever pre season) for drinks and food. get out the early season stiffness. kid events on sunday. camp out.

Yeah, i'm a big salesman. I know. Hey ski bums came here and played a sausage party.

maybe this vid works..
    https://photos.google.com/direct/AF1...X5PkPh-w?pli=1
    Working on it Gary. Sounds very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Working on it Gary. Sounds very cool.
    Sweet!! My band's playing at 5pm on the Saturday too. Shit, would be great to see ya again buddy!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Sweet!! My band's playing at 5pm on the Saturday too. Shit, would be great to see ya again buddy!
    Between sleepovers, birthday parties, art camps and the disturbing warm trend in the wx, not gonna make it Gary. Have fun, really cool event.