Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38

Thread: Tool Time

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Swapped a GRX 820 group onto my gravel bike this weekend. Discovered that
    1) Shimano doesn't include a bleed block with the brakes (retail packaging...not a j-kit)
    2) none of the leftover bleed blocks I have from MTB brakes will fit
    3) the bleed cup I've been using for years on MTB brakes doesn't fit on the GRX levers
    WTF Shimano? Anyone have a bleed kit they like that will include a GRX compatible bleed block and cup?
    The bleed block you need is Shimano Y8N219000, the most square looking one with a vertical slot cut into it. It retails for $3.00

The levers are part of the road family, So the Road Bleed Cup uses a m7 thread, and the MTB cup uses a m5 bleed cup.
    If your cup is in good shape (not striped out plastic threads) you can but a $4 adapter to screw into the MTB m5 cup and will threads into the m7 road lever.
    Either Y0C698050 or Y8NG12000

These are also $3.00
    Or buy a specific funnel, a new road funnel is $19.00
    And if you want a Shimano Kit with both funnels, all the bleed blocks and a syringe with a fitting for the bleep nipple its called
    "Shimano Professional Disc Brake Bleed Kit" and it retails for $66.00. This kit is worth it just for the fitting that attaches to the bleed nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    The bleed block you need is Shimano Y8N219000, the most square looking one with a vertical slot cut into it. It retails for $3.00

The levers are part of the road family, So the Road Bleed Cup uses a m7 thread, and the MTB cup uses a m5 bleed cup.
    If your cup is in good shape (not striped out plastic threads) you can but a $4 adapter to screw into the MTB m5 cup and will threads into the m7 road lever.
    Either Y0C698050 or Y8NG12000

These are also $3.00
    Or buy a specific funnel, a new road funnel is $19.00
    And if you want a Shimano Kit with both funnels, all the bleed blocks and a syringe with a fitting for the bleep nipple its called
    "Shimano Professional Disc Brake Bleed Kit" and it retails for $66.00. This kit is worth it just for the fitting that attaches to the bleed nipple.
    If anyone is in the hunt for just the bleed nipple fitting this can be purchased from Park Tool separately from the full bleed kit for $13 and another $13 for a syringe.

It can be found in the spare parts section and works a good bit better than the friction fit hose.
    Last edited by John_B; 04-28-2024 at 10:24 PM.

Proving once again there’s better information here than anywhere else on the interwebz.
    Yea I could google it, but why?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I need a new pair of calipers. Don’t wanna spend $150 on Mitutoyo LED electronic ones.

Why shouldn’t I just buy some Mitutoyo verniers?

What do we think for $50ish calipers these days?

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I need a new pair of calipers. Don’t wanna spend $150 on Mitutoyo LED electronic ones.

It really depends on what you are doing with them, of course, but the run of the General Caliper has served me well enough for bike-related needs.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

https://taytools.com/products/igagin...39269059526743

Stated accuracy is +/-0.0010 per 4", compared to +/-0.0008 per 8" for Mitutoyo.
    If you are not a machinist, that should be just fine.
    I don't own these, but probably would buy them if I was currently in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    [...]
    [...]
    Thanks! Baffles my mind that Shimano went from M5 to M7 on road.

Is there a significant volume differential? I wonder if the smaller port would make it harder to work with smaller volume?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

'
    MTB lever bodies are made from a metal/alloy and can withstand smaller threads,.
    Road levers are all plastic/composite. The road lever bleed ports are so easy to strip out, so a larger thread was engineered to account for the weaker threads in the body material.

As your local shop for a bleed block and for the adapter. These pieces come in hundreds of boxes they install, so they should have a drawer full of them.