Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

Skied 11-2 today. I was going to go up yesterday but my kid got an ear infection and I had to take him to the doctor. All good now though. Chair 4 is skiing great, too bad that chair's uncomfortable AF. Chair 3 didn't soften up as much as I had hoped but a nice day once the sun came out a little after 11.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report!

I'm heading up tomorrow, and probably Sunday as well. I'm hoping for Andy's and Herb's to soften up. If not, chair 4 should still get some sun.

I'm curious to see how the north facing stuff, Goldridge and Robin's Trees, held up.

Here is a clip from Sunday 2/11. I know it's a bit late, but the wind buff in Emile's was really fun that day and the coverage is great. We skied down to the lot under the lift, I was with my wife and didn't want to hit Bentley's, but a buddy who did ski it that day said it was classic windbuff.

Last edited by Long duc dong; 04-05-2024 at 07:14 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Overcast in LA today but bluebird at Baldy until about 1p when the notch got socked in good with some clouds... coverage is down but still solid

Thinking I will hit up Baldy ski area tomorrow 3/21 (Th) and Mt. BP Friday. Forecast has a little weather for the weekend, but looking sunny and warm next couple days.

I'm trying to figure out the best window for San Gorgonio in the next few weeks. Socalsnow's latest post makes it sound like everything is soft and not refreezing overnight but noaa temperature forecasts kind of conflict with that. Anyone been out above 9000' lately who can speak to current conditions (before this weekend's storm that is)?

I would assume that upper elevations are firmly into a spring melt-freeze daily cycle now but hard to tell without being out there.

Awesome spring conditions at Baldy ski area today. Chair 4 until 1pm and then over to chair 3 until 5pm! Stoked they stay open that late. Photos on strava, too much hassle to upload to forum.

That's good to hear, so north facing stuff on Thunder was firm in the morning and didn't soften until the afternoon?

Thinking I might have to do my first Baldy experiences next couple weeks…hmmmm

Don't wait too long!

Baden was amazing spring conditions today. Dropped from summit at 1130am. Awesome day.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
    That's good to hear, so north facing stuff on Thunder was firm in the morning and didn't soften until the afternoon?
    I don't know, probably, they didn't start running chair 3 until 1pm. There was definitely a good refreeze last couple nights.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Baden was amazing spring conditions today. Dropped from summit at 1130am. Awesome day.

I don't know, probably, they didn't start running chair 3 until 1pm. There was definitely a good refreeze last couple nights.
    Too bad weather isn't cooperating this weekend, but what's the snow line on Baden? Are you able to get all the way back down to the parking lot level on snow?

Coverage was really good, could ski to road. Some of the best top to bottom spring conditions I recall. Yeah, I noticed the forecast so decided to ski Th/Fr. Hopefully get good amount of snow and extends season.

Sunday afternoon ended up being fun at Baldy.

The Skyline groomer did end up softening up. Off-piste, the Herb's/Andy's area was roped off, but I got some nice laps in Emile's Bowl and Robin's Trees. It was definitely crusty underneath, but the several inches of snow did bond pretty well.

The coverage is great on the mountain right now. I do hope they end up getting more snow this weekend. Hopefully the season will last into May.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 04-05-2024 at 06:55 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

So…Baldy Monday? Or Tuesday?

I'm headed up Monday. My first time in the resort itself though I've toured in the bowl before. Say hey if you see me, grey pants dark blue jacket grey helmet with red goggles, will be on a WNDR Alpine board.

Do these dudes actually charge for parking? It’s an upsell in the ticket purchase process…

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Do these dudes actually charge for parking? It’s an upsell in the ticket purchase process…
    Yes, I tried to get out of it last time I went, but when I went to the ticket window to pick up my lift ticket was called out for not having parking on the receipt.

I'm gonna be staying with my girlfriend's swimming friends in Newport Beach next weekend, looks like it might be a good idea to try to get some skiing in? Pretty sure I got the idea from here years ago when someone posted about hunting for chutes, although maybe in the San Jacinto mountains.

I'm guessing baldy is the place to go? Anyone want to ski?
    Last edited by abraham; 04-05-2024 at 04:37 PM.

^^^resort or backcountry? Baldy ski area should be pretty good Sat and Sun, assuming they get lifts running. They have been pretty good about updating their instagram with condition and lift status.

Almost certainly inbounds. This was a last minute decision so I'm just starting to try to figure things out. I'm not entirely sure it's worth trying to squeeze skiing into this trip. Ideally I'd just take my boots down but I could take my smaller bc skis.

sounds like Baldy is running the lifts today, so chance they get them going near on time tomorrow. Depends on how much they ice up overnight. Sunday should be on time open, I would guess. I would recommend checking it out if not too much hassle.

Thanks, looks like I accidentally deleted the 'next' part of next weekend. I'll check the Instagram but fortunately I have a couple days to decide still.

Baldy was amazing on Saturday. 8" of light low-density snow (such a rarity in SoCal). Even though you could very much feel the firm base underneath, it was an absolute hoot. Was getting fresh turns in South Bowl all the way until 430.

Surfs up, Baldy conditions are primo, going to try and go back tomorrow should be a touch cooler. Couple inches this weekend?

Great day on Baldy low end pow day and cool breeze, will be back Thu coverage is still solid