Check Out Our Shop
Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1796
    Hope you have a better experience with your Rivian than my friend who has (had) the SUV. It's been a complete nightmare for him to say the least. Firmware updates, warranty repairs, service center runs, battery draining over the course of 3 days, ect. He sold it a few weeks ago and bought a new Sequoia.

Electric car thread

Buy a Rivian. Be a beta tester.
    Cuz I love repeatedly explaining my computer problems to the next new guy in line in the phone queue
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Hope you have a better experience with your Rivian than my friend who has (had) the SUV. It's been a complete nightmare for him to say the least. Firmware updates, warranty repairs, service center runs, battery draining over the course of 3 days, ect. He sold it a few weeks ago and bought a new Sequoia.
    No issues like that yet.

The only issue I've come across is one that used to plague Tesla drivers. And it has only happened a couple of times. If you have the Rivian app on your phone, the phone is automatically a key. If you walk away from the car with your phone, the car locks. If you walk towards the car with your phone, it unlocks. Tesla does the same thing, but only if you enable your phone as a key. With my Tesla, I didn't enable the phone as a key. You can still use the app to lock and unlock the car, but you can't drive the car based on the phone.

The issue with this is that if you leave the phone in the car, lock it with the key card, then put the key card in a lockbox, as I do when I surf or go to the gym, the car can detect the phone and it will unlock. Anyone could simply get in the car and drive it away. This has happened to me a couple of times with the Rivian. You can either disable bluetooth, which is annoying because you have to do so every time, or you can disable the feature which automatically locks and unlocks the car. I chose the second option. To be fair, this didn't happen all the time, most of the time I could lock the phone in the car and return to it still being locked, but it did happen occasionally. It's nice that this is fixed, but it is something to be aware of.

I have not had any issues with updates or serious vampire drain. So far, the updates have gone smoothly.

I will try to get a review up on the driving soon. It has absolutely blown me away with the handling and acceleration. I expected it to feel far more like a big, lumbering truck, but it doesn't. Driving for several days at 600 miles a day is a nightmare unless a car is fun the drive. This one was a pleasure.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Snows go on the Tesla tomorrow….the braking deal might taking some getting used to on snow

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Who actually leaves the regen braking turned up on these EVs? I assumed everyone just turns that setting down so the thing drives smooth…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Who actually leaves the regen braking turned up on these EVs? I assumed everyone just turns that setting down so the thing drives smooth…

Almost everyone leaves it on. I don't care about the range but one pedal driving is great and no problems with it being smooth.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

One pedal driving kicks ass. Game changer. I've only put my foot on the brake pedal a handful of times since we bought the thing. Certainly no need for the Brembo's that came on it. Well, maybe if you use track mode. My brake pads may outlast the car.

Montanaskier - I read that you should use offroad mode in snow. If you get stuck, use slipstart.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    One pedal driving kicks ass. Game changer. I've only put my foot on the brake pedal a handful of times since we bought the thing. Certainly no need for the Brembo's that came on it. Well, maybe if you use track mode. My brake pads may outlast the car.

Montanaskier - I read that you should use offroad mode in snow. If you get stuck, use slipstart.
    Same, I'm thinking I should take it out of one pedal mode once in a while and do a few stops using the pads to keep everything working.

RE: one pedal driving, obviously this varies between manufacturers, but my car will apply the friction brakes on the very first stop of the day regardless of which pedal you're using.

You realize it can still drive very smooth if you just don’t let all the way off the pedal right?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    You realize it can still drive very smooth if you just don’t let all the way off the pedal right?
    Yeah but then it will probably run out of battery and catch on fire!

Very interesting to hear from people who like one pedal driving in snow!

I've always just turned down the regen braking. The first time I drove a Telsa in icy conditions, I didn't reduce the regen, and definitely felt the sliding. I did research and heard I should reduce the regen, which I did. It was smooth after that.

But I have read lots of testimonials from people who do like one pedal driving in snow. I guess it is something one can get used to. Personally, I prefer to reduce it in icy conditions, but it's fascinating to see that some prefer it the other way.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Not sure I could handle the kind of one pedal driving being discussed here. I was taught to drive in the winter, almost 40 years ago, using basically one pedal. Id probably stack it in the ditch upside down if I tried that with regenerative braking turned up.

A friend in Tahoe Donner has no issues one pedal driving his Tesla in winter. He runs snow tires. He’s been driving in winter road conditions since the late 60’s. I mention location because they drive down a hill to go anywhere. His other car has three pedals.

That Lucid Sapphire has two pedals ......

Jes sayin' .......

I mean, BFD. I rented a Model Y for a weekend and figured out 1 pedal immediately. If you can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't be driving.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Does regen braking from one pedal induce ABS if the wheels slip? It seems like it should - I mean it turns the brake lights on.

Would definitely be willing to go for one of these depending on the price and range.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...cept-revealed/
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I drove my Bolt in one pedal mode all of the time... unless it was snowy. Then I turned it off. From racing, my car control instincts are hardwired to expect the vehicle to coast when I fully release the throttle pedal so I couldn't adjust to one pedal driving in slippery conditions.

In every other situation, I greatly preferred it.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I mean, BFD. I rented a Model Y for a weekend and figured out 1 pedal immediately. If you can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't be driving.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

With regen braking, the car gets a bit slick in icy, snowy conditions. In those conditions, I prefer to tone it down. I also prefer to take the acceleration down. Those two things do absolutely nothing for me in icy conditions, I don't need to accelerate or decelerate quickly when that is going on.

And yes, I've done plenty of driving in some pretty serious conditions, growing up back east and living in Tahoe, as well as spending lots of time in Mammoth. Most people that I who have significant experience in snow/ice prefer the non-regen for those conditions. Saying we shouldn't be driving because of that preference is absurd, to say the least.

I'm curious about where you were driving when you rented the Model Y.

To clarify my negative comment on the regen braking / one pedal driving…

I find it fine during stop and go traffic or non-traffic driving. I find it annoying during medium speed traffic. The traffic you would normally gas-and-coast, gas-and-coast… I’ve only spent a few hours in an EV so maybe you get used to it… Next time your in that tempo of traffic look around for an EV; you can visually see who’s one pedal driving and who’s not.

Regardless… one pedal driving certainly isn’t “better” from a technical driving standpoint (range and brake pad life are advantages) than two pedal driving. F1 teams aren’t changing how their brakes work.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

To clarify my negative comment on the regen braking / one pedal driving…

I find it fine during stop and go traffic or non-traffic driving. I find it annoying during medium speed traffic. The traffic you would normally gas-and-coast, gas-and-coast… I’ve only spent a few hours in an EV so maybe you get used to it… Next time your in that tempo of traffic look around for an EV; you can visually see who’s one pedal driving and who’s not.

Regardless… one pedal driving certainly isn’t “better” from a technical driving standpoint (range and brake pad life are advantages) than two pedal driving. F1 teams aren’t changing how their brakes work.

Gas and coast, gas and coast... fuck, I hate riding with people that don't know how to feather the throttle. I imagine they'd be even worse in an EV with the extra snap.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.