Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fischer Kehua vs. 4FRNT MSP (SM)

Yeah, so it's summertime, and to pass the time I've been oogling '06 skis. I've narrowed it down to two. The Fischer Kehua and the 4FRNT MSP & MSP Supermodel.

Fischer Kehua
    177cm
    Sandwich wood core carbon laminate.
    $600
    127-92-115 (20m)

4FRNT MSP
    180cm
    Sandwich wood core glass laminate.
    $600
    122-92-108 (25m)

4FRNT MSP Supermodel
    180cm
    Sandwich wood core, stiffer than regular MSP
    $800
    122-92-108 (25m)

About me: 5'9" 150lbs. I ski agressively with okay technique, but no racing experience or anything. In bounds, I like a lot of mid range to GS length turns at fast speeds on dynamic pitched goomer runs. Out of bounds I like wide open bowls, smallish cliff hucks, and the occasional chute. Haven't done much tree skiing, though it looks fun. Don't hit the park often either. Oh, and fuck moguls. Nothing out there about the Kehua. Lots of "I love 'em" one-liner posts and a good review post about the MSP's. Nod goes to the Kehua's on graphics in a close race.

Thoughts?
    "I smell varmint puntang."

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    Fischer Kehua
    127-92-115 (20m)
    That's a shitload of sidecut. No thanks.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I live in Minnesota. I don't straight-line 60 degree no-fall avy chutes. I like sidecut.

BRO. Or, considering you're in minnesota, Stockli stormrider, dp or even xl. They ski much better in the conditions you mentioned than any fisher or 4front. Or maybe mantras, but honestly I've never tried 'em

fischers baby!

Ive skied a number of fish-heads over the past 4 seasons....if you can power them: go for it! Any ski can skid or be stomped/hopped, what makes the fischers a little dif. is that they are side-side stiff enough that they can turn like a champ when you need em.
    The one issue I have w/ them is that you should really try them or speak w/ someone who knows there chit about that model, I've tested them & loved them in the right length. one size too large,& your struggling...(imho as a 140lbs-er).. they tend not to be a noodle for us lite weights

Unfortunately, 188cm is way too long for me. If a shorter version of the Bro becomes a reality this year and I can get one in a timely manner, then they'll be in consideration too.

I live in Minnesota. I don't straight-line 60 degree no-fall avy chutes. I like sidecut.
    Once is Enough isn't a no fall chute. Believe me, I know.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    Once is Enough isn't a no fall chute. Believe me, I know.
    Ahem, I do too
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

My opinion: MSPs ski like shit and the Supermodels are a waste of money. I haven't ridden many Fish's, so can't help you there, but stay away from the 4frnts.

haha

Vicious is the only person I've heard, that doesn't love his MSP's. Don't base your entire summary of a ski on one review. The supermodels, are going to be sup stiff.
    Ski everyday!

I saw a Fischer guy on the Kehuas out in Vail, He loved them. He was an eastern guy, loved skiing trees and quick turns. In short, he really liked them. I would go with fischers over MSPs, but that is my opinion.

$200 for stiffer skis? You've got to be kidding me. If that the only difference its a rip off? Why you looking at twins if you don't like the park?

Quote Originally Posted by powwrangler
    $200 for stiffer skis? You've got to be kidding me. If that the only difference its a rip off? Why you looking at twins if you don't like the park?

Give me ONE good, legit reason why not only every ski shouldn't be a twin, but especially a ski for someone in the midwest. You don't have to like the park to utilize a twin tip.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy
    Give me ONE good, legit reason why not only every ski shouldn't be a twin, but especially a ski for someone in the midwest. You don't have to like the park to utilize a twin tip.
    Twins make it very hard to construct X-ed anchors out of your skis.

Twins make it very hard to jab your tails into the snow to hold your position on the slope in exposed no-slip situations.

Those are the two that come to mind, but I suppose they don't really apply to the midwest (I've only done the above in Europe).
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop
    Twins make it very hard to construct X-ed anchors out of your skis.

Twins make it very hard to jab your tails into the snow to hold your position on the slope in exposed no-slip situations.

Those are the two that come to mind, but I suppose they don't really apply to the midwest (I've only done the above in Europe).
    It might make those two situations more difficult, but it will make two more situations not as difficult. Bottom line is that rooster tails are sick.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Hop has the most important reasons, but to add.

They don't fit in the ski slots on gondola type lifts. (dosen't apply to midwest)

They look stupid on a roofrack with the tips pointing forward.
    Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Idris
    Lucky for me I drive a pickup with a tonneu cover. I don't like smashing knees up on icy, poorly built midwestern terrain parks (I'm sure there are some decent ones out there); however, I do enjoy a nice BC kicker now and again.

BB, you take Fischer rectally right? Got any second-hand info from people who have skied the Kehua's? I assume 177 is like a snowlerblade for you.

When we get the shorter Bro out, FNG, it will have more sidecut than the 188 to keep the dimensions the same. But it's looking like January. We'll be ironing out the design so you can turn and straightline that chute. Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Idris
    Hop has the most important reasons, but to add.

They don't fit in the ski slots on gondola type lifts. (dosen't apply to midwest)

For the gondola slot issue (assuming the slots are wide enough to take the fatties in the first place) you just put both your skis together base to topsheet (with just enough angle to keep the bindings apart) vs. base to base and slide them in like you would one fat ski. Works like a charm, plus it gives you sick La Grave telepherique steez.

The Bonin Petrels

For the gondola slot issue (assuming the slots are wide enough to take the fatties in the first place) you just put both your skis together base to topsheet (with just enough angle to keep the bindings apart) vs. base to base and slide them in like you would one fat ski. Works like a charm, plus it gives you sick La Grave telepherique steez.
    heh...
    you can surely do it in LG, but it's harder when you're surrounded by a crowd pushing you to jump on the gondola

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61
    heh...
    you can surely do it in LG, but it's harder when you're surrounded by a crowd pushing you to jump on the gondola
    you mean those packs of gapers that were pushing me in LG don't constitute a crowd? It's pretty damn quick if you ask me.

The Bonin Petrels

you mean those packs of gapers that were pushing me in LG don't constitute a crowd? It's pretty damn quick if you ask me.
    we should ask to a third-party judge (mulletizer?) where's the thickest and st crowd between LG and verb

Lucky for me I drive a pickup with a tonneu cover. I don't like smashing knees up on icy, poorly built midwestern terrain parks (I'm sure there are some decent ones out there); however, I do enjoy a nice BC kicker now and again.

BB, you take Fischer rectally right? Got any second-hand info from people who have skied the Kehua's? I assume 177 is like a snowlerblade for you.
    Wild Mountain right near you and a few places in Wisconsin have pretty killer parks actually if you're into that sort of thing (I'm assuming you're still at the U of M).

If you would like to pay shipping, I'll give you a pair of 184 Bandit X's (orange and white ones) to ski around the midwest on. Then you can get another ski for elsewhere.

BB,

All of the skis that I own are twin and I agree with you and the idea of having versitility. I just thought that maybe he would want to look at some non twinned skis, if he doesn't like the park. Since twins have become so much more verstile than before i guess they are more like All mtn ski now more then ever.