Check Out Our Shop
Page 128 of 132 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Trailer for The New Radical with Cody as a producer. https://youtu.be/ncB0M36ZdkI?si=ns1JbavVr2BR7y49

With Connor Ryan of Fifty episode 15 and Spirit of the Peaks https://youtu.be/DSwmJMH04Ww?si=dXzR_1rTKwM6Ad1C

Any forward progress?
    watch out for snakes

The FIFTY

Saw an SKI mag editorial yesterday saying alka should call it good and not chase the remaining peaks down…just too much risk

I can see that sort of idea, but I’ve felt like this hasn’t been a “summit fever” style journey, despite the list-ticking essential nature of it

Thoughts on chasing risks with diminishing returns?
    We’d certainly like to cheer alka as one of the old mountaineers one day…

https://www.skimag.com/athletes/cody...uit-the-fifty/

Have a kid everything changes. Fuck, I never had a kid and I'm a huge pussy re skiing high consequence shit.

We look back at the crazy sketchy shit we skied, often solo 10 miles out w no cell/sat at 0deg. Idiotic.

Drinking coffee skiing groomers in the sun today.

Props to all the mad dogs still crushing it.

I'm not sure about the diminishing returns part?

That's a bit of an ironic article to me where the author seems to be chasing relevance and clicks while theorizing that Cody is doing the same?

I don't know Alka personally and I don't track his every move on the socials, but it seems to be that he is being honest with himself and his family regarding decision making.

It got discussed after the Tof Henry accident. We should encourage compassion and understanding, not throw stones at those those make choices we wouldn't.

The FIFTY

I want to watch vlogs of Cody touring for hero pow/corn on lower consequence peaks in weird and off the map places in North America like central Idaho, random ranges in Montana, the Yukon, the Aleutians, Haida Gwaii, Nevada, Arizona, weird sub ranges in BC, etc. every 3-4 episodes should feature bushwhacks in slide alder.

I could care less if Cody skis the remaining 50.

The Fifty is one on of the few ski related content that I enjoy watching, and it’s basically the only thing my wife will watch that is ski related.

The Op-Ed is awfully armchair-quarterbacky. Seems like an effort to paint Cody as being a slave to the tick list when it seems pretty clear to me he's been very cognizant of that risk and hasn't painted himself into that corner at all. I think it's completely fair to say "I think it's irresponsible to die in the mountains because I have kids (or because I don't want to die in the mountains)." Or try to educate someone who doesn't understand the risks they're taking on (e.g. inexperienced PNW backcountry skier wants to send hard in a continental snowpack with a PWL). But is there really any question about whether the Tof Henrys and Codys of the world understand the risks of big ski mountaineering lines?

The couple who tried to climb all Fifty Classic Climbs didn't complete two or three of the crazier, most dangerous routes.

A few of the lines put in these "classic" books are for the sake of novelty. They're not really reasonable objectives IMO.

But he could just wait it out and try to cherry pick good conditions if they ever come, and bail if at all sketched. At least TRY every line, super cautiously, regardless of whether he completes them. I doubt he will be satisfied if he doesn't at least do that much.

Neither the risk of the lines, nor the explicit goal of skiing the fifty are what make Cody's project enjoyable to watch. Sure, some element of risk makes things more exciting. And sure, having 50 lines to ski provides a structure for the whole project. But the project's success doesn't really hinge on those elements. It's Cody (and Bjarne's) personalities, the storytelling, and the fact that they skiing cool lines (regardless of whether those lines are super gnarly or officially part of the 50) that make the series fun to watch.

Honestly, I rather see Cody go ski more interesting lines with interesting stories (and not limited to North America) than force his way through super risky or logistically impossible stuff.

I think it should be retitled The 46 and Cody should start a new project Pow Surfing the best golf courses in the West. But ultimately who cares what I think.

That why I don't care for these types of articles. The premise of risk assessment, communication, don't thinks for the right reason and such is super valid. But it can be done without leveraging Cody's name for clicks and with out opining of the answer because its not the authors fish to fry.

So speaking to a framework where you consult with your mentors, friends and family, make sure your mental health is totally on point, respect yourself and realize that you have a lot to come home for and generally how to navigate risk would actually be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    I want to watch vlogs of Cody touring for hero pow/corn on lower consequence peaks in weird and off the map places in North America like central Idaho, random ranges in Montana, the Yukon, the Aleutians, Haida Gwaii, Nevada, Arizona, weird sub ranges in BC, etc. every 3-4 episodes should feature bushwhacks in slide alder.
    Yes! (although I do kinda want him to give the remaining ones a college try at some point in the next decade)

The Fifty is one on of the few ski related content that I enjoy watching, and it’s basically the only thing my wife will watch that is ski related.
    Same here on the wife thing. Hard eye-roll for any other ski content.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Yes! (although I do kinda want him to give the remaining ones a college try at some point in the next decade)

Same here on the wife thing. Hard eye-roll for any other ski content.
    Yes - as a fan and follower I’d love to see an episode where they go look at Robson. Doesn’t matter if they summit and ski it or just walk around it, have some laughs, teach us some things, and go home. I’ll never be there with skis or the skills so it would be cool to see these guys get up there. My satisfaction with this series has nothing to do with a tick list.

This is also the only ski content my wife will watch. “Want to watch a “Cody” over dinner?” she’ll say.

I could care less if Cody skis the remaining 50.

For sure. Also the overnight stuff - what it's like, how they set up camp, deal with everything etc. is cool to me. Basically just go on cool adventures and take me along, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    That why I don't care for these types of articles. The premise of risk assessment, communication, don't thinks for the right reason and such is super valid. But it can be done without leveraging Cody's name for clicks and with out opining of the answer because its not the authors fish to fry.
    Agree 100% with this; article struck me as generally unfair and also trying to ride Cody's name for traffic.

The dumbest part of the article was calling Cody out for "singing his own praises" about the Currie rescue. CT and Bjarne made the right decisions, possibly saved the guy's life, and gave a pretty factual account of what happened. The op-ed writer lost a lot of cred in my mind by playing that bullshit card. Made the writer seem jealous and petty.

From the gram (in case Alka is off adventuring and not surfing TGR)

Don't die
    Have fun
    Ski the fifty
    That could be a nice T-shirt.

My money is on "the world’s most legendary freeskier".
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What is with the headlines in the last 24 hours. Sheesh. Just clickbait central.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    What is with the headlines in the last 24 hours. Sheesh. Just clickbait central.
    Can we get into a pissing match here so I can write an article about it? There must be some money in this game so I might as well start now.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    [ For the non-IG peeps: https://www.gq.com/story/cody-townsend-profile ]

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The couple who tried to climb all Fifty Classic Climbs didn't complete two or three of the crazier, most dangerous routes.

A few of the lines put in these "classic" books are for the sake of novelty. They're not really reasonable objectives IMO.

But he could just wait it out and try to cherry pick good conditions if they ever come, and bail if at all sketched. At least TRY every line, super cautiously, regardless of whether he completes them. I doubt he will be satisfied if he doesn't at least do that much.
    is that mark and janelle(?) smiley

Quote Originally Posted by Thesystemsplit View Post
    is that mark and janelle(?) smiley
    Yes. They are in Episode 12 of The Fifty, Middle Teton.

I am another that would tune in for “The Further Adventures of Bjarne and Cody”. Each season should feature them touring a different region in various camper vans and meeting up with local pros to ski. Start with New Zealand.

^ they just need constant hot ass and tits throughout the videos to make it solvent