Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seattle/Tukwila bases Crosson skis

Anybody heard of these? Seem like ridiculously priced dentist skis with all the newest tech. But they snagged at least one rider from Salomon (Bobby Brown).

Thoughts?

https://crossonski.com/collections/crosson

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

So many lies in the blurbs.

It's skis. With uni carbon prepreg. Mind=blown.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

I'd like to see someone else's kids hitting rails and thrashing the shit out of $1200 park skis.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Yeah the Crosson guys had a demo tent up in April at Alp last year.

The skis looked bomber in their construction and finish but damn not at that price.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Nothing says ‘bend-me-over premium price’ like built in Tukwila.
    $1800 for all-Mtn ski .....GFY

The ski pages on their site are not very immersive, and their published point of difference is a so-what relative to their ability to attach a tangible end result that would justify the premium price.

This ain't Bozeman. Plenty of blue square ripping Microsoft/Amazon chumps will purchase plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    This ain't Bozeman. Plenty of blue square ripping Microsoft/Amazon chumps will purchase plenty.
    Believe it (well at least before the stock went in the tank). I have a hard time holding back the laughter on some of the email threads to the ski email list.

Sounds good in theory, but it's a brand working to establish traction in a market with plenty of other viable options. Hope they have deep pockets, time will tell.

It also seems like a less than ideal ski for the PNW, with a lightweight carbon construction. Seems like their biggest selling points are 1.) Aerospace engineering, which says they are probably smart but I'm not sure how airplane design transfers industries into skiing. Not really a selling point to me personally. And 2.) Lightweight carbon construction which also doesn't interest me in the PNW. I mean I'm all for carbon somewhere in a ski, but not as the main/only composition. Not sure what else goes into them as my brief view of the website in didn't find a lot of details into dimensions, build, or rocker profiles, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Nothing says ‘bend-me-over premium price’ like built in Tukwila.
    $1800 for all-Mtn ski .....GFY
    LOL...came here to express a similar sentiment. Are they OG South Center Certified?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Ignorant JONG here so take what I say with a grain of salt - I hung out in this shop once or twice last season. At the time they were developing product while offering tunes and trying to sell a pair or two of these, for some reason: https://zai.ch/skikollektion/?lang=en

Nice guys. Repaired a massive to-the-edge coreshot that was way beyond my skill to repair completely flawlessly. They offer an insane laser-guided cold fusion tune where they stick the skis in a particle accelerator and bombard them with gamma rays or something; the base treatment is indeed insanely good, but it takes a lot of material off, which I wish I'd known (again, I am a JONG.) Worth doing once, and probably more to a piste ski than anything you'd be beating up at all. As a shop at least they're hyper-competent. Can't vouch for the skis but I'm pretty much the opposite of their target demographic (whatever that is.)

Frankly I was mostly surprised that they were in the PNW of all places. It seemed like the kind of place that might exist outside of some real luxury resort type place which the region doesn't have, like Deer Valley or in Europe or something. Strong on the engineering, weak-to-nonexistent on the marketing. I wish them well.

It looks like someone has a lot of money to throw away. This person probably has a winery and a micro distillery as well.
    Training for Alpental

Have to admit I’m curious if this actually works in a dark, car crash sort of way

It’s a fucking twin tip from that Zai link above

Name:  6044C990-520E-4EC6-A116-CDC983960B38.jpeg
Views: 1675
Size:  65.6 KB

Imagine taking that thru the glades on a early season pow day

that actually reminds of a ski that on3p did a while ago. But like... opposite.

Name:  449700_1600w_1600h.jpeg
Views: 1656
Size:  68.4 KB
    Last edited by HukuTa_KydecHuk; 12-22-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Yeah that was exactly the vibe I got, passion project for someone who got a windfall somehow.

... I gotta know the story behind those on3ps, what was the concept there exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    that actually reminds of a ski that on3p did a while ago. But like... opposite.

Name:  449700_1600w_1600h.jpeg
Views: 1656
Size:  68.4 KB
    I’ve seen those firsthand at the factory. They’re a trip. From what they said, in fresh they were “interesting,” on edge they were “horrifying,” skimming the pond in the parking lot looked more like their element.

Quote Originally Posted by Afkpuz View Post

... I gotta know the story behind those on3ps, what was the concept there exactly?
    Idea was to experience powder skiing more in the snow, while maintaining float. So skinnier underfoot section would keep you "in" the snow, but tips would float up. Any practical progression of the idea would, of course, level out the shape to something more practical, which we always joked wouldn't be that far off from the BBR.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    I’ve seen those firsthand at the factory. They’re a trip. From what they said, in fresh they were “interesting,” on edge they were “horrifying,” skimming the pond in the parking lot looked more like their element.
    They actually ski ok as long as you are going down hill. Based upon a 96mm Jeronimo, so they carve ok. They are so rockered the tips stay above hardpack, and the ends are convex so they don't hook. We were even hitting (small) park jumps on them at Tline in the spring.

Traversing is bad, and we had one of our guys get into a bit of a scary situation trying to traverse back into Timberline. After that, they really didn't leave the factory much.

As mentioned, they do work well for water skiing though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water (1 of 1)-2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	773.7 KB 
ID:	261165

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water (1 of 1)-6.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	261166
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

That’s right, it was traversing that was the hairy part.

They look like they'd be pretty much unskiable in crud too. Cool concept though, and definitely the kind of thing that makes you think... I remember seeing some kind of piste ski that basically had a giant slit running through from the boot to maybe 6cm from the tip, I wonder if that concept could produce the desired effect, sort of an inverse of the same idea...

I dunno how long it would stay alive but it would be pretty cool to have an ongoing thread in here for eccentric gear. Not the kook stuff like Raxski per se but the stuff like this that makes you think. This whole thing kinda veered off-topic, but the tangent is interesting.

That sounds like Bozeman

Met the Crosson guys at their shop once - went for a last minute base grind prior to a trip in hopes of reviving a pair of sticks.

Not sure who the money guy(s) is behind them, but it had something to do with who designed and engineered one of the winglet styles on the end of airliner wings. That said they seemed like nice guys - money man wasn't around of course - but, obsessed with Euro Swiss based brand stuff - Heirling boots, Zai, Kjus, ON running shoes for some reason, Komperdell poles, etc. Seems like a rep for all these brands dropped a huge order bomb on them and they agreed.

The original ski they were working on at the time was based on the Atomic Ritual - they loved it for some reason. Young guys playing with family lottery money - got to give them props for trying to make a go of things on their own - they spent a crap ton bringing merchandise that no one will see, tuning equipment that is underutilized, etc.

Wish them well.

Bode Miller has joined Crosson as Chief Innovation Officer. https://crossonski.com/pages/2021-overview

I had never heard of this company so did a bit of research on it. The founder is Chase Englehart, who is also in sales and marketing for Aviation Partners, the winglet company with Boeing as their primary customer, I'm assuming. My guess is that the money behind Crosson is also the money behind Aviation Partners; Dennis Washington (Spokane born, which I wasn't aware of before, either).

Washington is the founder of Washington Construction in Missoula, now Washington Group, which owns Aviation Partners among other things, and is a multi-billionaire. So, yeah, Crosson is probably directed more toward his crowd than a bunch of dirtbag dentists on TGR.

Washington's boys were very good skiers in Missoula in the late 80s/early 90s. Wouldn't be surprised that this is a play enterprise for one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Washington's boys were very good skiers in Missoula in the late 80s/early 90s. Wouldn't be surprised that this is a play enterprise for one of them.
    To some extent, that's probably true. Washington's son is the CEO for the Group, now so there's likely some affiliation with him and Crosson. The founder of Crosson is apparently originally from Sun Valley, now in Seattle. So, he's a skier, obviously, probably with connections to the SV crowd who can spend that kind of cash on skis without blinking an eye.