Check Out Our Shop
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1261
    Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    They deploy but they're so weak they might as well not be there.
    I miss brakes when carrying skis and I know one day I will regret not having brakes when transitioning on a wind hammer ridge top.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I miss brakes when carrying skis and I know one day I will regret not having brakes when transitioning on a wind hammer ridge top.
    I know i did regret it.

And I'm embarrassed to say that i even lost a ski when putting it on in a steep couloir when i couldn't top out. And i had to downclimb the entire couloir, in perfect powder conditions!
    Since then i have a short cord in my pocket to secure the ski to my belt so i don't lose it when putting it on. Don't use it often, but a few times i was glad i have it. Especially since most of my bc skiing is in couloirs, and often there's a cornice on top, so i end up digging a platform to get ready.

And no, the brake did not stop the ski.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Alpinists are like the Tacoma of bindings, except they sell a billion of ‘em in Europe but not quite as many in the US. The design hasn’t changed other than a larger flange over the toe springs. Despite the huge numbers out there the failure reports are very rare. Both Blister and Outdoor Gear Lab concluded after testing on refrozen or chunky crap that they ski better and with a more damp, elastic feeling than all the others in this general weight category.

But the Tacoma’s seating position sucks for tall guys, and the Alpinist has a heel riser that reflects a Euro / skimo mentality. Our redesigned heel lever will provide two useful positions—a moderately tall position when pins are fwd, and a tall position when rotated. The actual mm heights are being fine tuned with our prototypes. And we are positioning the hole in the lever to enable easier insertion and rotation with any pole, particularly poles with a wide tip.

I’ll list the reasons I’ve concluded this is the best binding in this category in another thread w/ details on our proto results, but let’s not overlook the fact that they cost $200-$250 per pair depending on where you order them from in Europe. Sort of the cherry on top. If you and your SO are into bc skiing, and you have the minimum quiver (3 pairs each), that saves you $1500 vs the other good options.
    Any update on this mod Fro? Seems perfect for what I'd want.
    sproing!

I'd also go for an aftermarket high riser option on my multiple pairs of Alpinists if it because available. I think they ski great (without brakes or freeride spacer) and have had no usability or durability issues, but when combined with boots without great ROM and a steep skin track, I could use a higher riser.

For folks concerned about losing a ski during transitions, I like the B&D leashes. They're long enough that you never need to remove them unless you're booting, and if booting, just remember to attach the leashes to your boot before doing anything else. The one downside to the long leash is that the coils get a bit stretched out on cold days, but it's never caused an issue for me.

Fitting leashes on Alpinist is a little tricky, but I use zip ties that function as a breakable link + locking, flexible key rings and that works great to be able to swap the leashes across multiple pairs of bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    (...)

Fitting leashes on Alpinist is a little tricky, but I use zip ties that function as a breakable link + locking, flexible key rings and that works great to be able to swap the leashes across multiple pairs of bindings.
    I think I have an idea of what you're saying but by any chance do you have a picture of the assembly? I've been trying to figure out a way to make it easier to swap my B&Ds

The 300g Touring Binding Thread

For BND leashes on Alpinists, I used some ~2mm cordelette I had laying around. Easy peasy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Posted in gear swap as well, but the new mtn summit is available from alpine options now https://alpineoptions.com/sa2435100/...RoC5DMQAvD_BwE

I’m currently running a Ski Trab vario.2 toe(for the riser) and a Kreuzspitze sctt heel on the 14mm adjustment track. It fits in a dynafit mount pattern, has some adjustment, has huge climbing riser option for the heel, and I added a universal free ride spacer on my wide skis even though I probably would have been fine without it.

Weighs less than 200 grams with leash attachment, screws, and heel riser IIRC, and I could trim even more weight with a titanium U spring. But more importantly it’s a zero ramp angle binding so my touring and alpine skiing feels as close as possible.

The only problem is having to piece it together instead of buying a complete binding.

Saw a deal and went Alpinist instead of MTN. Here is the link ($299.99 CAD) https://www.sapvelogare.com/fr/marker-alpinist-12.html

Worth it over MTN's metal/higher risers? I'd love to go Trab or ATK but those are both $100+ more at least. Going on QST Echos for low tide touring and long days.

Quote Originally Posted by tupp_ View Post
    Saw a deal and went Alpinist instead of MTN. Here is the link ($299.99 CAD) https://www.sapvelogare.com/fr/marker-alpinist-12.html

Worth it over MTN's metal/higher risers? I'd love to go Trab or ATK but those are both $100+ more at least. Going on QST Echos for low tide touring and long days.
    I prefer the alpinist over the mtn for sure. Skis noticeably better, basically the same weight. The single riser can be annoying sometimes vs having two, but with the right boots it doesn’t make that much of a difference to me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Do you have the height of the boot sole at the heel when clicked in?

Looking to add some freeride spacers and want to make sure I can get the right height.

Do you have the height of the boot sole at the heel when clicked in?

Looking to add some freeride spacers and want to make sure I can get the right height.
    I don’t but an al05 fits under my heel with ~2mm of room from the lowest setting. Al07 did not fit

Any way to get these shipped to US? I can only select Canada for country at checkout.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    The brakes literally pass through each other without resistance. Not helpful for shouldering, plan on needing a ski strap to keep them together. Which you should have several of.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Any way to get these shipped to US? I can only select Canada for country at checkout.
    I’m messaging them on FB right now to see if I can talk them into this.

If a Canadian mag could broker a deal, I’d spring for that too
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

https://www.oliunid.com/marker-alpin...alpinismo.html

I actually want the 8, which is over $250 shipped from there but would be $200 from the previously-linked site. I don't really even need them at the moment but for $200 it's a no-brainer to put on the shelf for the future.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I’m messaging them on FB right now to see if I can talk them into this.

If a Canadian mag could broker a deal, I’d spring for that too
    I’d get in on this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are willing. 380 cad shipped ($281 US). It’s…an ok deal. @peachesncream - where are you located? I could order 2 and priority mail a pair your way
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Ok, finally did some legit touring on my Moment Voyager XIIs. Paired with WNDR Vital 100s and Fischer TransAlps.

I don’t have a ton of experience in this binding category. But so far, the Voyagers are my favorite all around touring binding to date.

Super easy to step into the toes. Binding delta feels right without shims for me (unlike the Xenic). One clean release when I was fucking around skiing switch at the resort for a fitness lap, appropriately so. Otherwise retention was perfect and power transfer felt good on three days of touring in the San Juans last week. Brake retention/release button also performed perfectly, as did the risers.

I guess the downside is the price. But very happy with them otherwise thus far.

Name:  20230502-Commodore Gully.jpeg
Views: 1023
Size:  187.1 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4927.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	458784

Yep I’m with you. FYI the Voyager lineup has the toe shim built in. It’s a 6.5 or 7 mm heel/toe drop.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    They are willing. 380 cad shipped ($281 US). It’s…an ok deal. @peachesncream - where are you located? I could order 2 and priority mail a pair your way
    Not sure what happened with this but Im in Vancouver and can help out if needed. Happy to forwardthem wherever. Ill also be travelling to Oregon and Kansas over the next month which may be cheaper to ship from.

its not 300 grams, but the marker cruise is starting to land now. Stated weight 475, looks like no brakeless version is avialable and it's hard to tell if they're easily removable. 25mm of adjustment, 2 risers, independent lateral and vertical release adjustment. Fills a weird niche in the market but it makes sense for marker's lineup i guess

https://markerbindings.com/en-us/p/c...-bindings-2024

Marker Alpinist leash from fleebay for $17 shipped plus whatever tax your state collects.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28536612754...sAAOSwf9lkpYWj

Any issues or concerns with using a Kreuzspitze RS-A as a do everything touring binding? I've been on MTNs for years with no issues but I am curious about dropping 150+ grams per foot. Not intending to use this setup inbounds except when exiting the ski area, but I do tend to ski aggressively with beefier touring boots (hawx/maestrale) and am not gentle on my gear.

Am I courting disaster by considering a race(ish) binding to save weight, or is the consensus that I should just get a MTN/Alpinist and get in better shape to offset the heavier binding? If its relevant, it'll be going on a 103 underfoot carbon touring ski.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy