Thread: Beartooth Pass?

Beartooth Pass?

I heard the pass will be closed down for awhile due to a slide, does anyone else have any other information or when it may be opening?

Have fun with that.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/newga...abeartooth.jpg

Search function, jong.

i just heard the other day that they are concerned with the safety of road workers up there. things are pretty unstable and it has been raining hard all day today. I think the rain is supposed to keep up for a couple days. The only real hope for getting up there is if they open from Cooke City, unless you feel like having a go at the Morrison Jeep Trail. That changes the skiing quite a bit, rock creek headwall is out, reefer ridge means a several hour car shuttle. Right now the road is only open about 10 miles out of Cooke, i think about to where the chief joseph highway splits off and i havent heard of any plans to open it further. Talking with a friend who came close to buying All-stars ski camp last summer, he is very glad he didnt go through with it.

Personally* I dont think it will open at all this summer and possibly not next either. The DOT has been wanting to rebuild the switchbacks up from glacier lake road to the plateau for years. problem is since it is a federal highway they need to rebuild to federal specs (width, grade, etc). the town of red lodge has been opposed because there is no way to rebuild it without closing the road. i bet planning and some construction start this summer with the remainder next depending on weather.

*this is only my opinion and speculation
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Last summer they spent a ton of money and rebuilt a lot of the road. It was closed for a lot of the summer. I think it was only open for like 3 weeks or something.

Im headed up there on sunday to check it out and hopefully ski a bit.